Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I'm thinking of stuff like Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (Rogers & Hammerstein), the Slavers of Drule and all those other puns and references that drifted gracefully over my head as a kid...  (Some of 'em still do.)

Anyway, I just spotted a 1949 Schlitz advert in a Grauniad New York photo gallery (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jan/06/new-york-photography-in-pictures#/?picture=384053709&index=4) sporting the slogan: "The beer that made Milwaukee famous"...

I guess that's where the Dredd classic "The Fear that made Milwaukee famous" came from.  I live and learn!

The Adventurer

Had one happen to me just yesterday. I was at work, working. And I got thinking about the Prog 2012 Sinister Dexter story. I started wondering what kind of pun 'Ms. Deeds' was suppose to be because I know Abnett loves his Sin-Dex puns.

There wasn't a face slap hard enough when it finally clicked.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Spaceghost

Speaking of Sinister Dexter, my son has been learning about Rome at school recently and has been marching around the house pretending to be a Centurion, chanting "Sinister, dexter, sinister, dexter..."

Apparently it means 'Left, right' in Latin.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SuperSurfer

"He ain't heavy, he's my brother!" in Return of Rico seemed to me a really odd thing for Dredd to say. It was many years later when the song was used in a beer advert that I realised it came from a Hollies song.

SmallBlueThing

We had a thread about this a few years ago, but it's always nice to see if any new ones pop up. I'm duty bound to mention "Mach Zero" ("Macho") again, and to wonder if this time we'll get a conclusion to the "say Tharg's name five times rapidly" question...

SBT

TordelBack

The big one for me was not realising that almost all the Nu-Earth locations were puns on regular-Earth places. Examples:  the Ox-Arks, Dix-I and the Gasbah.  I think the penny finally dropped during a re-read of 'The Phrisco Phog'*.  Sigh.

*I didn't get out much**. 

**Still don't.

malkymac

Quote from: ming on 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM
I'm thinking of stuff like Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (Rogers & Hammerstein), the Slavers of Drule and all those other puns and references that drifted gracefully over my head as a kid...  (Some of 'em still do.)

Anyway, I just spotted a 1949 Schlitz advert in a Grauniad New York photo gallery (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jan/06/new-york-photography-in-pictures#/?picture=384053709&index=4) sporting the slogan: "The beer that made Milwaukee famous"...

I guess that's where the Dredd classic "The Fear that made Milwaukee famous" came from.  I live and learn!

I think I have only just realised the slavers of Drule one  ::)

Adrian Bamforth

i give up - what's the pun in Slavers of Drule?

radiator

johnnystress

Albion

I recently got some goldfish and named one of them Finnigan as I wanted a fish with a 2000AD name and Mrs Albion wasn't keen on naming one Judge Fish.
Anyway...... this got me thinking it was also appropriate as fish have fins. Then I realised sharks have fins too and FINNY is a gunSHARK! Clever name I never noticed before or just coincidence?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Lee Bates on 09 January, 2012, 11:26:16 AM
Speaking of Sinister Dexter, my son has been learning about Rome at school recently and has been marching around the house pretending to be a Centurion, chanting "Sinister, dexter, sinister, dexter..."

Apparently it means 'Left, right' in Latin.

Yes, hence 'ambiDEXTERous' means "like having two right hands".  And I seem to remember that 'sinister' got it's 'evil' connotations this way - left-handers being considered unnatural.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 January, 2012, 10:30:25 AMAnd I seem to remember that 'sinister' got it's 'evil' connotations this way - left-handers being considered unnatural.

And rightly so.  Twisted freaks!

ming

Out of curiosity, I just browsed Barney's collection of SinDex covers, and Finny might be left-handed (which would be fitting).  Depends who's on art duties, but at least three Simon Davis covers give that impression, which is good enough for me.

(Sure there are probably more covers there where he's using his right, or both hands, but without resorting to further research I'm sticking to him being a lefty.  Facts be damned!)

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me