Main Menu

Prog 2163 - Fight or Die!

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 January, 2020, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well first and formost how glorious does the Prog look. Get this for a line up.

Dan Cornwell
INJ Culbard
Henry Flint
Brendan McCarthy
Richard (and Joe) Elson

Each of them utterly different, yet each of them absolutely brilliant in their own way. Just an absolute visual treat.

The thing is the stories match the visuals for quality to boot.

Dredd see a wonderfully off centre opener by Kenneth - shall we discuss who he is again - Niemand. All giggles, until that final page. This one already screams its going to be a good un.

Brink is a typically brilliant conversation that drive plot without you realising disguising such story needs behind glorious dialogue and magnificent characters. Just a masterclass.

Proteus Vex smoothers us in its gigantic realities.

While Zaucer of Zilk tickles our good bits with its glamourus fantasies

Feral and Foe might not get to those standards but it gives us action, character and enough to keep on coming back.

Tharg this is some way to kick off the year. Trouble is you've set your bar high as you come out the gate. Your challenge is to keep this wonderful stuff up for the next 48ish weeks!

Richard

Also some good news inside the back cover -- the first graphic novel of Third World War will be the first in a series.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Niemand needs to write a lot more Dredd. He's really good at it.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 January, 2020, 07:00:37 PM
Niemand needs to write a lot more Dredd. He's really good at it.

Did we establish that Kenneth Niemand is not Matt Smith?

IndigoPrime

All sorts of rumours were rattling around, not least that he was Al Ewing in a cunning disguise. Perhaps he's just a bloke called Kenneth Niemand.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 06 January, 2020, 11:26:12 AM

Several times now, I think.

As has been noted frequently on this score: if you think you've seen Pat Mills be a bit ranty, this would be as nothing compared to the apoplectic fury from the freelance community if the editor was handing themselves the plum writing gig on their own book.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 January, 2020, 11:32:18 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 06 January, 2020, 11:26:12 AM

Several times now, I think.

As has been noted frequently on this score: if you think you've seen Pat Mills be a bit ranty, this would be as nothing compared to the apoplectic fury from the freelance community if the editor was handing themselves the plum writing gig on their own book.

*cough* Alan McKenzie *cough*

CalHab

Although the real problem with McKenzie is that he tried to assert more rights than he was willing to give other writers and simultaneously claim that the artist has no creator rights. Which was, to be polite, not very nice.

Summer Magic was good, though.

Woolly

Quote from: CalHab on 06 January, 2020, 12:05:21 PM
Although the real problem with McKenzie is that he tried to assert more rights than he was willing to give other writers and simultaneously claim that the artist has no creator rights. Which was, to be polite, not very nice.

Summer Magic was good, though.

I was hoping for a revival of Luke Kirby in the prog after the complete edition came out, but alas nothing.

IndigoPrime

Peter Hogan could make a good job of that...

CalHab

Droid Life  "Flicker" is a word to be lettered very carefully. Hopefully that droid's name isn't Clint.

Proudhuff

A strange Prog for me, can't really explain why, perhaps its that there are so many different, colourful, challenging and completely different strips in one issue giving me that mild feeling of disconnect that I used to get reading the NME way back in the late 70s when a hundred flowers blossomed ?

Dredd: a good Dredd, I'm sure there will be a nice twisted to the 'murder in a locked room' troupe as the mysterious Niemand droid gives excellent Dredd

Brink If you're going to do a talking head episode, this is the way to do it.

Proteus Vex, struggling a bit with getting my hooks into this, maybe the lack of identifiable protagonist?

While Zaucer of Zilk is loverly to look at and has some tasty text, it feels strangely out of its time

Feral and Foe like most sword, sandal and sorcery stuff, leaves me cold, but that's just me.

While welcoming all the different strands of this prog, and understanding the prog smorgasbord anthology effect, I'm discombobulated by this Prog. Maybe that's a good thing, shaking thing up? It cant all be big boots and guns!
DDT did a job on me