Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: jrdd on 29 April, 2021, 12:57:20 PM
Coincidently I also received vol 4 in the post today... shiny.

If you also got a bunch of comics from Comic-Biz-Store and two old issues of Savage Sword, then we may have a dimensional-rupture problem.

But, expecting that you didnt, is this a 'later print' specific thing, or was it always like this do you think? I mean, it still feels like a lovely book... it's just not the same as the others.

SBT

jrdd

Glad to report the dimensions should hold together, a thorough search showed no other thrill-power to be found in the envelope...

I don't have the other books in the series (yet...), but I can (ahem) shine... a light on the following:

Books of Invasions 1: Shiny (Sep 2006, 2nd printing)
Books of Invasions 2: Shiny (Jul 2006, 1st printing)
Books of Invasions 3: Shiny (Jul 2007, 1st printing)
The Wanderer: Matt (Apr 2013, 2nd printing)
Book of Scars: Shiny (Nov 2013, 1st printing)
Brutania 4: Shiny (Aug 2018, 1st printing)

So it's flipped back and forth between shiny and matt, I'm guessing this one is shiny by design.  The question is what format will Dragontamer take...

As you say all great books, I probably lean towards preferring the shiny format.  And to get a spine reference back in, they all feature Slaine artwork on the spine except Brutania 4 (and presumably 1-3).

TordelBack

My Brutania Vol 4 is shiny too, and the previous 3 matt. Never noticed before, so thanks for that.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

You are very welcome. Mu-hahaaaa.

SBT

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 March, 2021, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 March, 2021, 10:18:19 PM
There are more books and comics than that, but they're over on the bedside cabinet waiting to be read, including the rest of Corto Maltese among others.

Phew I was about to berate you for being so behind - good to hear the rest are waiting to be read. That's a pretty nice set up and a tidy collection you got going there.

Must update the nerdcave thread at some point as there's been changes since I first set that up.

Pics please
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Anyone interested in some spine chat? Great!

Did a bit of rearranging last night after liberating some stuff from Scotland recently.

Wait! What in Fuck's name have they done to those Trigan Empires! The titles align on 1 & 2 but the diagonal stripe on 1 & 3 and none of the big blue on white numbers at the bottom do at all. Oh, woe!

We never really die.

Lorenzo

Stuff the wonky Trigan Empire. I want to know why you have Wingspan and Catan in German.... Very suspicious.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Lorenzo on 05 November, 2021, 09:43:19 AM
I want to know why you have Wingspan and Catan in German.... Very suspicious.
Not that suspicoius. I live in Switzerland.
We never really die.

Lorenzo

Bugger, I thought I had uncovered a mysterious plot.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 April, 2021, 10:52:24 PM
My Brutania Vol 4 is shiny too, and the previous 3 matt. Never noticed before, so thanks for that.

Heaven help you then if you ordered the Dreadnoughts hardback ... a different size again!

Southstreeter

If you get excited about matching spines, check this out.
https://www.foyles.co.uk/blog-penguin-monarchs
Scroll down to see the full glory. I'm going to have to get the full set!

Richard

It's even more impressive what they've done with the front covers! (Scroll to the bottom.)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Southstreeter on 18 November, 2021, 07:29:04 PM
If you get excited about matching spines, check this out.
https://www.foyles.co.uk/blog-penguin-monarchs
Scroll down to see the full glory. I'm going to have to get the full set!

Oh. My. God.

Surprised but to see any of my old History lecturers' names on the spines there but I'm a big fan of the guy who does Athelstan and Henry VI.
We never really die.

Lorenzo

Now that is classy typography. Allow the designer to do what he/she wants and the result is beautifully elegant and cohesive.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Lorenzo on 05 November, 2021, 12:20:47 PM
Bugger, I thought I had uncovered a mysterious plot.

he's been called worse.
DDT did a job on me