Main Menu

Are the 1990s DC comics 'Judge Dredd' and ''Legends of the law'' worth reading?

Started by Michael Knight, 11 May, 2016, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 April, 2018, 09:58:41 PM
The titular comic's earlier attempt at writing Judge Dredd "Origins" is a jam of bum-notes but worth a blast from an historical perspective.

I wouldn't even say that - if you weren't there at the time, and you're not a JD completist, don't bother.  Re-reading the thread I just don't get the hate for Legends of the Law - like the IDW mini-series, this is often 2000AD creators taking a stab at MC1 tales, often pretty much in-continuity (our continuity, not the main DC/IDW continuity).  It was certainly on a par or better than was appearing in the prog and meg at the time.

JOE SOAP

I didn't read it as a completist – I'm not one and it's the only Judge Dredd DC comic I've read – but as a reader curious to know how another writer tries to "explain" or fill-in what were perceived to be gaps in understanding the original from a non-2000AD perspective – and it had never really been done in any kind of authorial way before. I read it with the same interest as reading the fan-fiction chrononolgy published in the 1984 annual. It also adds to a greater apprectiation of the genuine article.

GoGilesGo

I know it's not usually a good idea to necropost but since the collected edition came out this week I might get a pass.

My finger is hovering over the 'Add to Basket' button.

2 stories in longer form that usual by John & Alan. I presume the second one, Trial By Gunfire is the Anderson assessment story.

Is Legends of the Law worth a buy?

broodblik

Quote from: gogilesgo on 15 September, 2022, 06:59:51 AM
Is Legends of the Law worth a buy?

I will read it this weekend and give my 2 cents on it. I actually have no big expectations
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

My recollection is those strips, even given those involved, just aren't that good. They're decompressed content compared to what we get in 2000 AD, and the art on the first strip isn't exactly stellar. I at the time had complete runs of all the DC stuff but long ago offloaded it.

Richard

I bought (and still have) the first four issues, which are by Wagner (and are the Cadet Anderson story). It's good stuff, full of Wagnerian humour and typical MC1 quirkiness, with organ leggers and such. Well worth it I'd say. As for the rest, I have no idea.

Rogue Judge

I've managed to track down and read a chunk of these...the Wagner story is decent but I found the rest a struggle to read. I typically can find enjoyment with anything Dredd (I even see the sunny side of 90's Dredd & Ennis stories!), but this series is not it for me.