Main Menu

Mark Millar or Kek-W - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 June, 2021, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Jeesus, I'm seeing double here - 4 Mark Millars?

Mark Millar 4 / Kek-W 1

DrJomster

Millar nil points
Kek-W tous les points (being 5)

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Silo and Big Dave mean Millar gets at least a couple of points from me. Kek-W is a writer I don't really get on with I'm sorry to say- but didn't he do Second City Blues? I really liked that, so...

Kek 3
Millar 2

SBT

sintec

Kek-W 5 : Millar 0

I've not read much Millar as my main source of historic 2000ad has been the Hachette collections and well they've not re-printed much of it. From the bits I've read I'm glad of that as from the sounds of it those were the best bits.

credo

Kek-W 5, Millar 0

The thing about Millar is that, even when the elevator-pitch scenario shows inspiration (madman in a nuclear bunker, Sherlock Homes investigates the death of God, super-giant war robots), the execution is always so lumpen, plot-hole riddled, and plain stupid that it's not worth reading.

Funt Solo

I would have given Millar a point for being able to write comic strips at all - it's definitely a talent, and I've naturally steered away from any 5-0 votes (except when provoked that one time), but the problem is that if I give him a point then I'm giving a point to what was oftentimes quite hateful work. Not as in I personally didn't like it a lot, but the open misogyny and homophobia. You could perhaps mark it down as of it's time, in the way that the much-loved Spaced jumped on the "gay!" bandwagon without blinking, but I'm voting now, not then, so...

Also, the Deadworld resurgence has been stonking - so this particular one-sided see-saw is not driven entirely by negativity.

W 5 : 0 Millar
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dog Deever

I really like The Order- messed up fun, Millar has Silo and that's about it for me. On the other hand, the endless sea of Deadworld goopy guff permeating everything over the last while is driving me up the fucking wall so there's nae any full points getting awarded on this one.

Admittedly, much of the reason I like The Order and Silo is the art and much of why is dislike Deadworld guff is the art - so feel free to disqualify my vote on the basis that I am not wholly judging the writers on their merits alone.

MILLAR 0 KEKS 2
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Dog Deever

Quote from: Dog Deever on 24 June, 2021, 07:11:21 PM
I really like The Order- messed up fun, Millar has Silo and that's about it for me. On the other hand, the endless sea of Deadworld goopy guff permeating everything over the last while is driving me up the fucking wall so there's nae any full points getting awarded on this one.

Admittedly, much of the reason I like The Order and Silo is the art and much of why is dislike Deadworld guff is the art - so feel free to disqualify my vote on the basis that I am not wholly judging the writers on their merits alone.

MILLAR 0 KEKS 2

Ammended vote (forgot all about Purgatory which I quite enjoyed)
MILLAR 1 KEKS 3

I still reckon 2 points between them is fair, so Kek gets another point gratis.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

mark gets a point for silo and for the sheer cheek of his hitching a briefish and possibly cynical ride upon the prog's coattails in order to achieve fame and fortune and a refreshing shakeup of the whole superhero milieu (the mcu arguably owes so much more to him than it does to bendis, frank miller, morrison, moore or claremont) over the pond.
mark gets another point because, while kek-w's craft and ideas are tremendous, his writing gives me such a headache and makes me feel really dumb and tired. his indigo prime makes ulysses feel like a ladybird book. the serious talent is there, but please relax a little and inject at least as much heart and soul as groundbreaking ideas into your work - then you'll have my attention.
still, nevertheless, 3-2 to kek-w.

Rogue Judge

Mark Millar 1 : Kek-W 4

Millar gets a point...he must have done something in the prog I enjoyed...

Colin YNWA

Just a day on this one and you last chance to celebrate the successful career that Mark Millar launched in Tharg caring hands ... or not... look I'll count in the morning.

As for me well I like Silo and there's probably other bits and piece, the first Manic 5 has its moment but I love Kek-W. Since what I consider this return the Prog (he might never have really left) he has produced some fantastic stories I really enjoyed Angel Zero, for all the controversy as a writing exercise Indigo Prime was a success. But it The Order and Fall of Deadworld that are the absolute triumphs so regardless of thoughts of Millar its an easy

Mark Millar 0 : Kek-W 5

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Not much need to dwell on this one. It went the way we'd expect though Kek-W seems to be a devisive writer, some of love his work, some aren't so sure. Mark Millar is one of those rare things that units (almost) all 2000ad fans. As ever the greta joy of these tourneys is reveling in the wonderful diversity of opinion of Tharg's followers.

Overall Team Classic seem to have a long game strategy - drawing out some Current talent at the expense some of their lesser lights. Its a risky strategy and they need to get started soon...

Team Current 4 : Team Classic 0

Team Current 280 : Team Classic 119

JayzusB.Christ

I know this is closed now, but I've just remembered some of Millar's Terror Tales - in particular the incredibly disturbing one painted by Dave d'Antiquis featuring the Lovecraft gods- and some of his Tales from Beyond Science.  If I could go back in time I'd throw him another point or two, not that it would have saved him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 July, 2021, 08:46:01 AM
I know this is closed now, but I've just remembered some of Millar's Terror Tales - in particular the incredibly disturbing one painted by Dave d'Antiquis featuring the Lovecraft gods- and some of his Tales from Beyond Science.  If I could go back in time I'd throw him another point or two, not that it would have saved him.

Yeah its good to reflect on stuff like this though. To remember that sometimes we have a caricature of a persons work based on an overall sense of it, but that can mask the detail underneath. So its great to pull out the positives on a writer whose work is often otherwise maligned.

They talked about the Tales from Beyond Science on recent episode of Space Spinner and it reminded me they were pretty good Vertigoesque shorts - with lovely Rian Hughes art.

milstar

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 July, 2021, 08:46:01 AM

Ohmi, gotta check that one!
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.