Main Menu

Bolt-01 Cup - the best of Strontium Dog

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 July, 2021, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

When we got the news that David Evans had passed away I carried on running the tournaments on autopilot - 'cos that was what I did, but I remember thinking, quite clearly

"This all feels a bit trivial, why on earth am I doing this. I really should stop this."

On the third morning of feeling like this I stopped and decided to reflect. I'd been thinking a lot about Dave, as many will have done. It struck me however how much Dave loved this place - The Forum that is. I remember chatting to him about it at some Con or other (Thought Bubble no doubt) and he was telling me how much he loved this place. How as he didn't do Facebook or other social media the Forum was a really important outlet for him. It was a place he could share his passion with like minded Squaxx dek Thargo about 2000ad and comics in general outside of his glorious family.

With that very much in my mind I realised it wasn't only okay to continue, it felt like it was actually the right thing to do. After all these tourneys were very much my clumsy attempt to keep this ol' place active and vibrant - and heck for a while there it felt like we were winning.

So with that in mind I cracked on and started to think about what came next and I remembered someone had suggested (and my apologise as I can't remember who) after the Dredd Ranking Tourney doing something similar with Strontium Dog. It was on my list, but quite a way down as I wasn't sure how to approach it. And let's face it anything not Dredd is never quite as popular so I was concerned it wouldn't float well.

Well sod it let's do this. If it's not the most popular tourney, so what. If it's not exactly the best tribute to Dave Evans - so what. It can be our, my, clumsy attempt to mark all the love and joy Dave Evans brought to the board and heck we might even have fun doing it.

I think he would have wanted us to.

Dark Jimbo

I have to admit my enthusiasm for the tournaments waned as soon as we heard about Dave - it suddenly seemed so trivial... But of course that's not the attitude at all. Dave loved the tournaments, and this forum. Bring it on!
@jamesfeistdraws

Trooper McFad

Your tourneys are always a pleasure to see the results and if they match up with my favs.
So bring it on 👍🏻😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Buttonman

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 14 July, 2021, 07:26:42 PM
The Moses Quest for the win!

That was the first Stront story I read (though patchily - so I think the first complete Stront story was The Killing).  Where's a note saying "Gone to see a space wizard - I owe you one zombie kid"?

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

AlexF

This is surely the best way to both keep the Forums fund and to tip the hat to Bolt, I'm in with fingres, thumbs and mutant toes.

(My 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet are joined at the middle. It's a minor mutation, to be sure, but I'm counting it...)