Main Menu

Galaxy Killers v Slaves of Drule - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 01

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 July, 2021, 06:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Galaxy Killers v Slavers of Drule - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 01

Into the Qualifying groups and kicking off with the first two ties from the Long Stories Region, Group 1.

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

The Galaxy Killers - more info

Vs.

Slavers of Drule - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 23rd July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why
on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

Slavers of Drule for me.

The early SD stories in the prog was not my favorites and it took a while to really settle and embed it in the prog as one of the top thrills.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Drule

Although I do recommend the Starlord collection for anyone who's missed out.
Lock up your spoons!

Magnetica

The Galaxy Killers was a weird one for me personally as I missed the resolution of the cliff hanger when Johnny and Wulf were fighting and only read it decades later when it was reprinted in the Megazine.

For me Slavers is the better story.

Barrington Boots

Slavers of Drule by a long way on this one. I don't rate Galaxy Killers whatsoever.
Also Titus Smitus is one of my favourite one-note SD characters.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Slavers of Drule - I always thought Galaxy Killers was one of the weaker Stront stories.

AlexF

Slavers of Drule, easy. Those half-built gigantic stone heads were some of the first bits of 2000AD art I remember seeing, and the story still ranks as one of Ezquerra's very best on Stront.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 20 July, 2021, 08:59:21 AM
Slavers of Drule - I always thought Galaxy Killers was one of the weaker Stront stories.

...and some of the reasons why - it's a rip-off of the Death Star.  It takes away a lot of the USPs of SD (time devices, gadgets, being mutant bounty hunters).  They get offered a really great ship at the end and turn it down for spurious reasons.

IndigoPrime

Galaxy Killers was the strip finding its feet. Slavers of Drule had a massive impact on younger me—I thought the whole thing was terrifying and epic. Today, it still holds up as a solidly written tale. No contest: Slavers of Drule.

sintec

Definitely Slavers of Drule. Galaxy Killers is a bit of a stumble at the start of Stront's time in the prog imo. It's not terrible but it also doesn't have the magic of later efforts.

Dark Jimbo

Oh how I would love to buck the trend here. Unfortunately, Galaxy Killers just doesn't have a lot going for it - Sergeant Kark is hilarious, and begins Wulf's cucumber obsession; we get to see Johnny, Wulf and the Gronk sharing a bath... and that's it. And if that's the best you can say of a 9-part story, then something's gone wrong.

Slavers of Drule, then, even if it may just be the Stront tale I can remember least about.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Galaxy Killers is an odd beast - Alpha commits casual mass murder when he blows up the Slave World of Rog.  It would br a brave attempt to be something different if it wasnt so indebted to Star Wars.

Sargeant Kark is a more fun villain than the Slavers and in a similar vein too... thats about the only advantage it has   Slavers is less fun but less rubbish.......

If Gaalaxy Killers awas a bit less rubbish it would romp this, but as it is, Slavers of Drule wins

Dog Deever

I recall feeling Slavers of Drule seemed a bit rushed at the time... however it still beats Galaxy Killers IMO.

Slavers of Drule it is, even just for the comedy story-name factor.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.