Main Menu

Spacewarp Presents Hellbreaker

Started by broodblik, 28 April, 2022, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2022, 03:16:10 PM
Quote from: nxylas on 29 April, 2022, 02:02:26 PMI think a "fast-food" mentality is an inevitable consequence of producing a weekly or monthly comic on an ongoing basis, rather than every once in a blue moon.
I disagree. The inference is that these comics are ill-considered, throwaway, cheap and inferior. But that's just bullshit. You can create great content at pace, if you have quality creators and a solid editorial team. That you spend a year or ten years on something doesn't make it inherently better than something that was produced far more rapidly.
That may be Pat's inference, but it wasn't mine. David Bishop once admitted that when he was editor, he was sometimes forced to publish strips that he knew to be sub-par because "you can't run five blank pages". I think that's understandable. No comic that produces that much content year-in, year-out is going to be on top form all the time.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

I agree, but it doesn't necessarily follow that a longer gestation will guarantee higher quality. Time doesn't always improve things.

Richard

QuoteNo comic that produces that much content year-in, year-out is going to be on top form all the time.

2000AD has maintained a pretty steady level of high quality for two decades.

nxylas

Quote from: Richard on 29 April, 2022, 10:23:56 PM
2000AD has maintained a pretty steady level of high quality for two decades.

And has been going for four-and-a-half  ;) But there has been debate elsewhere on this forum as to why Skip Tracer keeps being recommissioned, to take but one example. People talk about the creator droids having compromising information on Tharg. My suspicion is that it's nothing more nefarious than that they get their work in on deadline, and don't require much editorial supervision.

IndigoPrime

Or perhaps... Tharg just likes it? A lot of what happens in any publication is driven by the editor. It's probably a combination of factors. But, frankly, even though I'm not a fan of Skip Tracer, I wouldn't even label that as "fast food" thinking or corner-cutting.

The Monarch

he just had to get a snide dig in didn't he...i am not supporting this cause quite frankly anyone who is into nfts does not get my time or money

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i don't understand if mr mills is claiming that he "cut corners" back in the day - or that he is the one who didn't ...

nxylas

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 30 April, 2022, 09:14:36 PM
i don't understand if mr mills is claiming that he "cut corners" back in the day - or that he is the one who didn't ...
I think I can hazard a guess.