Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Simply the best – Nommer nege mense

Started by broodblik, 18 July, 2022, 03:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Welcome to the ninth knockout round where we will choose our favorite story arc.
We already have ten story arcs that has qualified.

Whom is the next to do a takedown? The best Luke Kirby book is naturally The Night Walker:
-   Yay, you are spot on
-   Nay, surely you are mistaken it must be .................................

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

This is correct. Journels of Luke Kirby is quite the thrill of diminishing returns it can be made out to be, there are some great later thrills. In this instance though the first is a brilliantly compact masterpiece.

AlexF

Now I'm confused - wasn't the Night Walker book II?
The story just called Summer Magic, with all the werewolves, that was the best one by miles.

broodblik

Quote from: AlexF on 18 July, 2022, 08:13:26 AM
Now I'm confused - wasn't the Night Walker book II?

Yes it was. Summer Magic is book 1
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

broodblik

You have the weekend to decide which Luke is the best Luke (please no Skywalkers only Nightwalkers)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

For me it's either of the first two. So we go for Book One.

SBT

IndigoPrime

I dunno. I have a lot of time for this strip and I enjoyed every bit of it. It wasn't diminishing returns for me last time I read it, even if it tonally shifted here and there. Still, if you're picking the best of Luke Kirby, then it absolutely has to be Summer Magic. It's beautifully written and illustrated, and honestly feels strange when set against almost everything else Alan McKenzie wrote, in terms of quality, maturity and atmosphere. I'm very glad Rebellion repackaged it as a HC volume. It's a pity we never got any more of the strip.

JayzusB.Christ

Summer Magic, by miles.  It was like nothing the prog had done before, whereas The Night Walker was a bit like something the prog had done before, i.e. Summer Magic, only not as good.  I quite liked the Old Straight Track and its folksy atmosphere.  That one where he's walking through hell, with the devil in 90s crusty gear, you can take or leave.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik