Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Shaken or stirred

Started by broodblik, 20 July, 2022, 04:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

One off the most iconic characters on the big screen is Bond. Each era brought us a different Bond and each Bond was different from the previous one.

Which actor portrayed your favorite interpretation of Bond:
•   Sean Connery (1962–1967, 1971 and 1983)
•   George Lazenby (1969)
•   Roger Moore (1973-1985)
•   Timothy Dalton (1987-1989)
•   Pierce Brosnan (1995-2002)
•   Daniel Craig (2006-2021)

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

See the trouble is this is bound by your first, in which case I'm firmly Moore. But I try to see beyond that and I'm a big fan of Dalton, but in the end

Brosnan

had the perfect combination of all Bonds for me, even if his film were the very definition of diminishing returns.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I can't stand Bond. Never have liked it, not since we were forced to watch some dreadful Roger Moore one in Assembly at school near the start of the Summer Holidays.

Not a fan of Connery in general- the bloke was a horrible arse. If forced, I quite liked a couple of the Brosnan ones- the one with the Madonna theme tune was so magnificently stupid that I couldn't help but buy it on DVD to bask in its ridiculousness later. The Daniel Craig ones have been competent films- but he is so awkwardly humourless and dry, I can see why he's become a gay icon. That said, Skyfall was a great time in the cinema and I liked it a lot. More than the one with the invisible car? No. So, Brosnan.

SBT

Magnetica

Barrington Boots

I'm also not a fan of Bond really: my parents never let me watch Bond films as a kid, so I watched all the ones that were released at the cinema when I was in my teens / 20s and then all the classic ones after I met my wife, who loves them. Even with her enthusiasm there's more I dislike about them that I enjoy.

This means I've got a different perspective to herion the early Bonds: Sean Connery's Bond always comes across very cold and a very nasty bit of work to me, whilst Roger Moore I fond a bit creepy, cracking onto young girls and making weak jokes. So I'm also voting Brosnan.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Bond films were a pretty big deal in my youth, always made a point of watching them when they showed up on TV. By the time the Brosnan movies were in the cinema I'd discovered that they're actually awful, although I can still enjoy them as delightful stunt and quip machines, not to mention the nostalgia. I've never read the books and don't buy into the wish-fulfilment idea of wanting to be a stone-cold killer who shags his way around the world.

So purely on the level of the Bond who was in most of the films I watched at my height of really, really liking them... Roger Moore.

GoGilesGo

Timothy Dalton.

The franchise had become quite flabby towards the end of the Moore era: safari suits; pantomime villains; puntastic one liners.

When Dalton arrived he really stripped the character back. Bond was angry, he swore, he smoked and for almost the entire running time of both films, was an unreconstructed misogynist.

Fleming's Bond, as written, was a bastard. Dalton delivered that in spades.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Southstreeter

Lazenby - OHMSS is the best bond film.

Rogue Judge

Ohh good one, I'm a huge Bond fan!

I agree with some comments here, Timothy Dalton is the best Bond (closest to the books) and OHMSS is possibly the best of the series...however, my favorite Bond is early Sean Connery. When he was interested in the role he was at the top of his game. If Dalton had done a couple more he would likely be my favorite, but Connery edges it for me.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

broodblik

You have until Wednesday to decide how you would like your martini
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Voting Closed

Pierce Brosnan is the Bond of all Bonds