Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Low Life vs. The Out Rd 5 Heat 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 August, 2022, 07:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

The Out is a modern wonder. Low Life was one of a number of thrills that really helped to revitalise 2000ad after Rebellion took over. This is a tough one...

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Low Life: Nemesis and Deadlock; Bendetti Vendetta; Sancho Panzer
The Out: Zaucer of Zilk; The Order; Jaegir

Low Life - more info

VS

The Out - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 7th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

abelardsnazz

BPP

Possibly the greatest comedy page in 2000ads history secures my vote over the awesome The Out

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Aaron A Aardvark

Low Life has some great characters. In fact many great characters. But The Out is just pure greatness. So far.

The Out

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

AlexF

Look, the Out has had two books and both have been marvellously marvellous, very excited to get more.
Low Life has had a lot more, but frankly the first 4 or 5 stories, while interesting, well drawn and intermittently funny were only OK. But then it jumped a gear with Dayglo and D'Israeli and everything from 'War Without Bloodshed' onwards has been potentially the best ever Dreddworld spin-off stuff, and I'm including Anderson, Psi Division in that. (although I maintain that he never learned how to draw Aimee Nixon the way Flint did)
BUT on the other hand there's the annoying turth that Low Life as a narrative suddenyl stopped being its own thing and became part of Judge Dredd, which pointedly does not count in this Tourney!

What am I to do with the delights of Saudade, Titan, Enceladus and indeed the Small House? Without which, we'd never get to the end of the narratives from Frank and Aimee.

If I'm only comparing War, Creation, Hostile Takeover and the Deal (the four epically great Low Life stories) to the Out, I'm genuinely not sure which is better.

You know what, I'm voting Low Life, if only to stop Dabnett from hogging all the slots in the next round...

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The Out. No matter how much I love all of Dabnett's strips- and any writer who consistently delivers both Sinister Dexter and Brink, not to mention Lawless, Grey Area and Feral & Foe to a lesser extent, could justifiably be called the best writer 2000AD has ever had- The Out has the potential to be the very best of his work. It's not there yet, as it needs another couple of series to reach the heights I believe it could scale. Is it a "Halo Jones knock-off", as others have said? Nah, it's already better than that.

And there are still people who think the prog was better in the eighties! Honestly- what is wrong with them?

SBT

IndigoPrime

Lowlife was great, bringing some real depth and heart to a part of the Dreddworld that had until then mostly been played for laughs. I'm not keen on where it ended up, but then Titan and such are Judge Dredd strips, not Low Life strips and so don't count here.

However, The Out is my favourite strip since Kingdom at the very least. I think it's superb on every level. It has gorgeous visuals, and interesting structure, and has already in its short life packed several emotion wallops along with providing quite a few mirth-filled moments. Also, in a comic that's still so geared towards male leads, it's good to have another strip that's resolutely based around a woman.

I was happy when I got Low Life in HC via the UC. I was bloody overjoyed when I heard there was a webshop HC of The Out on the way. So: The Out. Honestly, it's not even that close either – which says a lot, given how much I enjoyed Low Life.

Timothy

Looking back I am sure I will regret this when The Out becomes the best thing ever, but on what we have so far I look more fondly on Low Life

Proudhuff

The Out is very pretty and is a nice salute to Halo, but Low Life has a host of great characters and digs deep into the Dreddverse rather than wandering aimlessly through the Universe so...

Low Life
DDT did a job on me

Huey2