Main Menu

Prog 2296 - Making a stand!

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 August, 2022, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

First and formost... and I hate to start on a whine - but who slapped that tagline onto the cover like that. Placement is horrible. Its really kills the image for me - yuck.

Inside... well things don't start great to be honest - but luckly things do get better.

Cadet Dredd - I dunno some stuff happens, its action packed, should be exciting but its all a bit empty. Also at times the art is poor. I'm all for interesting and dynamic takes but that image of Joe leaping page 10 panel 5 is just plain confusing and there are other examples - the crashing through the glass on the next page a prime example. So this is one of the weakest Cadet Dredds I can remember.

Renk - well the art is better but its a giant shoulder shrug of a story for me. I'm not engaged by Renk as a character and that's pretty much a fatal flaw for a strip they pretty much have to carry. I have to be honest I didn't even notice they only had one arm when its explicity stated so that's embarrassing for me. Alas it just goes to show how little I was drawn in!

Future Shocks arh we're finally on a upswing. Loved this one. Steve Roberts art is fun and energetic. The story is a nice playful parable. Nice one - almost the best thing in the Prog...

Which I was expecting to be Department K cos I chuffin' love this thrill but this outing was a little rushed and could have been served with more room to play with the fun idea. The art by Nick Dyer was fantastic however. In moment reminded me of Ian Kennedy a bit. Good but not great.

Unlike 'Splorers which is just perfect Regened. Fun, playful and entertaining. Fantastic yucky story. Loved in and the art was to die for.

So yeah the Prog was a bit hit and miss but over all just about more hit than miss so we'll give it a pass.

Max Headroom

How many Regened Progs have we had this year? I thought it was supposed to be just four a year, but it already feels like more. (Not a fan by the way - but I still buy them to show moral support).

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Max Headroom on 22 August, 2022, 07:25:43 PM
How many Regened Progs have we had this year? I thought it was supposed to be just four a year, but it already feels like more. (Not a fan by the way - but I still buy them to show moral support).

This is the third issue this year. Also not a fan of these, but will still read 'em when the postie deigns to deliver them to me (still waiting for this issue to arrive through the letterbox)!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Still working my way through. I think Luke Horseman's art has improved, personally, but why is Dredd coloured grey?

broodblik

Overall another uninspiring regen prog the exception to the rule is Splorers (really love this and should be with Pandora in every regen prog). Renk one of the new stories does have some protentional. The prog is also known for its glorious art but in this case mostly of the art was just meh.

Barrington Boots

I found this one very bland with the exception of Splorers which was an absolute cut above. Lovely cover, but like Colin said, that tagline placement is awful.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Anyone else not had theirs yet? Very rare for a Prog not to rock up by Wednesday.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2022, 06:47:17 PM
First and formost... and I hate to start on a whine - but who slapped that tagline onto the cover like that. Placement is horrible. Its really kills the image for me - yuck.

Inside... well things don't start great to be honest - but luckly things do get better.

Cadet Dredd - I dunno some stuff happens, its action packed, should be exciting but its all a bit empty. Also at times the art is poor. I'm all for interesting and dynamic takes but that image of Joe leaping page 10 panel 5 is just plain confusing and there are other examples - the crashing through the glass on the next page a prime example. So this is one of the weakest Cadet Dredds I can remember.

Renk - well the art is better but its a giant shoulder shrug of a story for me. I'm not engaged by Renk as a character and that's pretty much a fatal flaw for a strip they pretty much have to carry. I have to be honest I didn't even notice they only had one arm when its explicity stated so that's embarrassing for me. Alas it just goes to show how little I was drawn in!

Future Shocks arh we're finally on a upswing. Loved this one. Steve Roberts art is fun and energetic. The story is a nice playful parable. Nice one - almost the best thing in the Prog...

Which I was expecting to be Department K cos I chuffin' love this thrill but this outing was a little rushed and could have been served with more room to play with the fun idea. The art by Nick Dyer was fantastic however. In moment reminded me of Ian Kennedy a bit. Good but not great.

Unlike 'Splorers which is just perfect Regened. Fun, playful and entertaining. Fantastic yucky story. Loved in and the art was to die for.

So yeah the Prog was a bit hit and miss but over all just about more hit than miss so we'll give it a pass.

This^^^ says it all, but my additional whine is that font on the cover and final page.   
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 August, 2022, 12:30:32 PM
Anyone else not had theirs yet? Very rare for a Prog not to rock up by Wednesday.
Got mine yesterday. There have been Royal Mail staff shortages so late post is to be expected now and then. They're on strike on Friday, so next prog will definitely be late.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Richard on 24 August, 2022, 01:36:57 PM
Got mine yesterday. There have been Royal Mail staff shortages so late post is to be expected now and then. They're on strike on Friday, so next prog will definitely be late.

Plus it's a Bank Holiday next Monday as well!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richard

This Regened prog is mostly very good. I never expect much from Cadet Dredd, and I haven't read Renk yet. But the Future Shock was entertainingly silly and fun. Department K was alright. And 'Splorers was excellent. No complaints from me.

Southstreeter

I thought the Future Shock was going to deliver an interesting message about economics. Surely people would have started offering goods and services at astronomically high rates, people would start spending their money, and after a period of hyperinflation the currency would be devalued and everything would be back to normal, though with the previous wealth having been redistributed.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Southstreeter on 24 August, 2022, 06:29:36 PM
I thought the Future Shock was going to deliver an interesting message about economics. Surely people would have started offering goods and services at astronomically high rates, people would start spending their money, and after a period of hyperinflation the currency would be devalued and everything would be back to normal, though with the previous wealth having been redistributed.

I think "Don't trust billionaires, they're arseholes" is a much more 2000AD message to deliver to the juves than an educational homily about fiscal policy, if I'm honest.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.