Main Menu

Prog 2297 - It Thinks......Therefore It Kills

Started by broodblik, 31 August, 2022, 04:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good prog after the regen issue, a good Dredd an interesting 3riller and all the rest setup for their finales.

Dredd – Another story that continues out of the Atlantis arc. This round the Soviet war droid has survived and is heading for MC1 chaos and destruction ensued. A good start to the story which point to some "fun" moments as the droid has a big idea

3rillers – A new creepy dark tale as we start with a kidnapping and soon not everything is so straightforward. This one lean more towards a Thistlebone folk-lore type of story and has a solid start.

Skip (me)– As everything looks quite grim for our hero it looks like it is daughter to the rescue. At this point we cannot wait for the grand finale in two weeks' time (this you can read in the way you feel about the story)

Sin/Dex – Steve Yeowell is back for the final part. This episode is very much just very talkative, and it is difficult to see how Dan will rap this up in two episodes.

Jaegir –[spoiler] Atalia has been rescued by an unexpected third party as Klaur-and-team meets up with the Captain.[/spoiler]  Solid episode and we now move into the final jig-saw puzzle to get the final corner piece that has been missing.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Barrington Boots

Tuesday Prog for me, which with a bank holiday and a postal strike is practically a Saturday Prog! Loving the cover. For me, great start and end and a middle that was - well - middling.

Dredd – Enjoyable start to a new Dredd tale. I like the fact that we've had several tales spinning out of the Atlantis event, I like Dredd tales about wacky robots, and I was a big fan of Sentientoid last time out. Violence and humour both on show here, all round cool stuff.

3rillers – This didn't do anything for me art or storywise until the last panel. Interesting to see where this heads next.

Skip Tracer– Totally bogus

Dexter – I've never felt disappointed to see Steve Yeowell in the Prog before, but Tazio Bettin was doing some really great stuff on the last few runs of this. If, like me, you're tired of SinDex there's nothing this week that'll change your mind really, but I did find the line 'Isn't technology meant to improve our lives?' to be very weighty and relevant considering what a mess we seem to be in nowdays.

Jaegir There's an unexpected twist which raises a few questions, and elsewhere Klaur is the absolute star of this strip. The murk of the swamp and the crazy colours of the miasma are superbly done. It's good to see Atalia back with some agency rather than back being captured. Class stuff.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

'Sentientoid's Big Idea' kicks off in fine fashion and is already a more rounded, fulfilling and let's face it more comprehensible story than 'Special Relationship'. The cover's great too but such is the shape of a Sentenoid that it doesn't present an especially well delineated outline, especially when it's hunched over; so although it facilitates a good tagline, the result isn't especially dynamic (am I overanalysing this..?)

'The Crawly Man' seems to be stepping all over the toes of Thistlebone to such an extent I'm kind of surprised Tharg gave it a green light. First impressions was it's solid enough but the dialogue's really lacking much spark. Also, was I supposed to chuckle when Elder Jones solemnly asked "Is the Mancunian in the vicinity?"

Apart from that, very much 'as you were' with the continuing strips - Jaegir and Dexter are perfect reads, and the Marshall/Teague combo still make Skip Tracer look absolutely fantastic. 

Colin YNWA

I was trying to work out what to say about the cover, which one minute I think its poor, the next great. Then I read Norton Canes take and that'll do me just fine AND for a bonus he perfectly summaries Dredd too so...

Quote from: norton canes on 01 September, 2022, 10:16:15 AM
'Sentientoid's Big Idea' kicks off in fine fashion and is already a more rounded, fulfilling and let's face it more comprehensible story than 'Special Relationship'. The cover's great too but such is the shape of a Sentenoid that it doesn't present an especially well delineated outline, especially when it's hunched over; so although it facilitates a good tagline, the result isn't especially dynamic (am I overanalysing this..?)

After that I want to break from my in order tradition and talk about Skip Tracer next... but I have nothing much to say. This is emphasised by the fact that the 3riller 'The Crawly Man' engages me with its cast of characters, all of them in  its opening 6 pages that Skip Tracer has for the vast majority of its entire run. What an excellent, creepy opener. I already open this is used as an intro to more from Herne and the cool talking doggie. THEN that ending. Superb. Love it.

Actually I will say more about Skip T as Paul Marshal always deserves a mention and is brilliant as ever. I enjoy Lee Milmore's art on 'Crawly Man' but if he could just add a bit of Marshal's fluid, relaxed energy he'll be brilliant. We'll see how he develops in time but this is a very promising early story from him.

Speaking of brilliant art much as I've enjoyed Tazio Bettin on the strip its a joy to have the Mighty Yeowell back on Dexter to wrap up this storyline (or at least Bulletopia. I don't doubt some folks will not like his open spacious background but for me they work perfectly in presenting the tatty run down seaside resort. His character work is exemplary as ever. The story is a interesting opening. I'm RILLY intrigued to see where the end of all this leaves us.

Jaegir is grimmy solid as ever. Love it.

Add to that a VERY good Dan Cornwell Star Scan and jobs a good un. Tell you want if The Mighty Yeowell doesn't stick around on Dexter (with Sinister or whatever) I would love to see Dan on the strip. I think he's be a perfect fit for it.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 September, 2022, 08:31:35 PM
Add to that a VERY good Dan Cornwell Star Scan and jobs a good un. Tell you want if The Mighty Yeowell doesn't stick around on Dexter (with Sinister or whatever) I would love to see Dan on the strip. I think he's be a perfect fit for it.

Out of  a recent interview with Dan it looks like Tazio Bettin will take the strip forward whatever it is going to be when Bulletopia wraps up.

norton canes

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 September, 2022, 08:31:35 PM
I was trying to work out what to say about the cover, which one minute I think its poor, the next great. Then I read Norton Canes take and that'll do me just fine AND for a bonus he perfectly summaries Dredd too

Thanks! (I only realised when reading your quote I'd used 'especially' three times in the same sentence, ouch)

Blue Cactus

There were two stand outs for me this prog, the Dredd and the 3riller. Both of which do a great job of effortlessly packing a lot in to a small space. In Dredd you have the pathos of the dark sea lonely sea scapes on page one; some fun Dredd-Chase dialogue; sea monster action; and Sentientoid itself, who is kind of tragic, scary and funny at the same time.

The 3riller I really enjoyed. Lots of atmosphere, an initially creepy setting that becomes even weirder as the tale goes on, and I really liked the art from Lee Milmore. The kid's facial expression on page 1 panel 5; the town hall and the dry stone wall on page 2... yeah, just really liking his line work. Not sure we needed the [spoiler]crawly man[/spoiler] turning up on the last page to be honest but there's a lot going on here and I'm hoping the team can make the most of the three part format and develop and wrap this up as a memorable 3riller.

Dexter was grand, I think Bettin had made the strip his own really but Yeowell is always welcome. I've said it before but I'd be more than happy if Sinister got bumped off permanently at this point. I like the current cast a lot and it makes for a nice change in dynamic. Skip Tracer continues to look great, and Jaegir is always a grim and grubby treat.

Anyway, a packed prog with lots to enjoy.

IndigoPrime

The Progs are getting later and later here, but anyway:

Nice cover and an amusing Droid Life kick things off. Dredd was then a fun opener, as much as a murdering droid can be considered fun. Quirky, perhaps. Good anyway. The 3riller upstaged it for me, though – properly horrible and creepy. Mind you, having a young kid in the house also made me pretty much yell at the page for the girl to not get in the car with the creek.

Skip Tracer continues. It's not bad, but it's still not really doing anything for me. It feels a lot like those filler thrills from years back, like Bad City Blue. A strip out of time, perhaps, or that just needed a bit more character and weirdness to give it an edge.

Sin/Dex was forgetful to the point I just had to remind myself what happened. So, er, yeah. Nice enough art. But very much a "whatever" episode, and the falling in love thing just doesn't work for me. Jaegir was smartly left until last and continues the strip's relentless quality.

3riller > Dredd > Jaegir > Skip Tracer > Sin/Dex

IndigoPrime

QuoteI'd be more than happy if Sinister got bumped off permanently at this point.
I imagine a reset switch is more likely, but that would be an interesting idea. At least if Dexter can stop mooning over Sinister's ex.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 September, 2022, 10:30:13 AM
QuoteI'd be more than happy if Sinister got bumped off permanently at this point.
I imagine a reset switch is more likely, but that would be an interesting idea. At least if Dexter can stop mooning over Sinister's ex.

I don't mind Dexter's mooning, so to speak, although I wish Hosanna had a bit more of a distinct personality. I'd be happy to see if Abnett can take this somewhere interesting. I'd rather Tracy Weld remained a character than Sinister going back to normal to be honest, I think her character gained a lot of depth earlier in the series (around the Download Tales period) but felt she got really short changed as a character the last several years.

But yeah, a reset is much more likely. I hope Klinks sticks around.

IndigoPrime

It's just so naff and lazy – that boring default where there's a male and female lead, so of course the former decides he wants to shag the later. (Sorry, that he loves her, in this case.) It's entirely unearned here, for all kinds of reasons. I hope it goes somewhere, or that he says he loves her and she just slaps him or something, whereupon he goes "oh" and then they just carry on.

She'd just better not get killed off, for example by Sinister shooting her to rile up Dexter (or her acting as a bullet shield if Sinister tries to shoot Dexter) and snap Sinister out of his AI guff. That would really (rilly) piss me off.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 September, 2022, 03:26:51 PM
She'd just better not get killed off, for example by Sinister shooting her to rile up Dexter (or her acting as a bullet shield if Sinister tries to shoot Dexter) and snap Sinister out of his AI guff. That would really (rilly) piss me off.

Abnett, to the best of my recollection, has a pretty good track record for not fridging female characters so... maybe don't get irate in advance of a thing he hasn't done?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

How about a reset where they go back to hanging out in their mate's bar in Downlode and taking <cough> cases from the local crime bosses?

Or is this that not very ethical?