Main Menu

Prog 2300: On the Day of Judgement...

Started by Leigh S, 20 September, 2022, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Leigh S on 20 September, 2022, 05:52:17 PM
pedant mode has to be engaged here - Torso was killed years before the events of Judgement Day, as was more obviously Wulf, so why are they here other than fan service? 

Torso was killed on the Doghouse by the Stix Brothers. Could he have been laid to rest there? Then been reanimated by whatever force is bringing the zombies back to life. Same goes for Evans. Wolf is a little harder to explain, not his reanimation but his position in the S/D HQ.

Maybe he was buried with a pre-programmed timebomb: reanimates, activates bomb, emerges in the Doghouse.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: gogilesgo on 21 September, 2022, 12:42:16 PM
pedant mode has to be engaged here - Torso was killed years before the events of Judgement Day, as was more obviously Wulf, so why are they here other than fan service? 

Torso was killed on the Doghouse by the Stix Brothers. Could he have been laid to rest there? Then been reanimated by whatever force is bringing the zombies back to life. Same goes for Evans.

The last panel of Outlaw is Alpha and the survivors launching the coffins of their fallen friends out into space. As for Wulf, Alpha uses a time bomb on the corpse after his brief zombie reanimation during The Final Solution to give him, too, a space burial.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, for me that was the single best Prog in years- and the best Meg since that recent run with Dreadnoughts, Megatropolis and Lawless. Huge fun, gorgeous to look at, can't be faulted.

Robin Smith floppy I would definitely buy if presented between gard covers and expanded with extra text etc.

Prog up to £3.50 from next week I seem. Ho hum.

SBT

nxylas

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 September, 2022, 11:02:36 PM
Sad to be the dissenting voice but I thought this Prog was abysmal.
Nice art.
"Abysmal" is a bit strong, but I didn't really care about any of it. An endless parade of "look, it's X, but they're a zombie" gets tiresome after a while.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Dandontdare

Okay it was pure fanwank, but it was a lot of fun. Personal favourite was the Survival Geeks endlessly arguing about what type of zombies they were.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 21 September, 2022, 02:06:11 PMRobin Smith floppy I would definitely buy if presented between gard covers and expanded with extra text etc.
Was your cover on the right way round?

QuoteProg up to £3.50 from next week I seem. Ho hum.
I didn't spot that. Not overly surprising, given * waves arms around *

Barrington Boots

Quote from: nxylas on 21 September, 2022, 02:44:05 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 September, 2022, 11:02:36 PM
Sad to be the dissenting voice but I thought this Prog was abysmal.
Nice art.
"Abysmal" is a bit strong, but I didn't really care about any of it. An endless parade of "look, it's X, but they're a zombie" gets tiresome after a while.

Fair point. I'm not interested at all in crossover events, what-if type stories or zombies, so there was nothing here for me. Mostly strong art throughout I didn't think any of the stories were interesting but I suppose ymmv depending on how you feel about the above. This is the first Prog I can remember though where I didn't enjoy a single story in it: I'd have preferred it to have been a Halloween special or something so I could have safely skipped it.

That's all my subjective opinion though, so I could have worded things better! Glad most others enjoyed it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

judgeurko

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 September, 2022, 11:21:54 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on 21 September, 2022, 11:12:43 AM
Seems strange to do a zombie thing in 2022. maybe about 15 years ago this would have been new & novel? Seems old fashioned & tired.

Try 30 years ago - because I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's a bit of silliness to mark Judgement Day's anniversary, that's all. And Judgement Day was all about zombies, so it would be hard to do that without 'em!
Why do we need a 30th anniversary of one of the worst epics ever?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgeurko on 21 September, 2022, 04:31:09 PM
Why do we need a 30th anniversary of one of the worst epics ever?

You really are a little ray of sunshine, aren't you...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

In answer to the question above- my cover was the Dredd annual one, and yes, I'm assuming it was the right way round.

SBT

IndigoPrime

My floppy had Dredd annual 1983 (intended as the actual inside back cover) as the cover, the back cover (Cheers, Robin) as the inside front cover, the actual cover (Robin Smith cover layouts) as the inside back cover, and the inside front cover (copyrights etc) a the back cover.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 September, 2022, 05:50:01 PM
My floppy had Dredd annual 1983 (intended as the actual inside back cover) as the cover, the back cover (Cheers, Robin) as the inside front cover, the actual cover (Robin Smith cover layouts) as the inside back cover, and the inside front cover (copyrights etc) a the back cover.

You are absolutely correct. I didn't even notice, due to being blown over by the content. Oh well. But! It says "Volume One" on the cover- which means hopefully another one!

SBT

broodblik

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 21 September, 2022, 06:10:09 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 September, 2022, 05:50:01 PM

You are absolutely correct. I didn't even notice, due to being blown over by the content. Oh well. But! It says "Volume One" on the cover- which means hopefully another one!

SBT

Volume Two will be the next floppy for the meg
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

M.I.K.

Torso was killed years before the events of Judgement Day, as was more obviously Wulf, so why are they here other than fan service?  You can say "different time line" but the starting conceit of the strip appears to be a single different path taken at the end of Judgement Day.

Dredd's present is technically Alpha's past, so the path would likely divert from a point decades before any of the events previously shown in Strontium Dog and alter the entire sequence.

What I want to know is why does Dredd seem to have glowy zombie eyes, when his eyes are meant to be bionic and therefore should look how they normally* look?

*Not that we ever see them much.

norton canes