Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid - Tourney's Round 2 - The Eye bleeding

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 January, 2021, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its back - well soon - and if you think it's had hard choices up to now - well the draw this round will make your eyes bleed!

After a bit of a hiatus for X-mas fun, followed by 'Tharg's 2020 in review' we're back on the hard stuff. The Favourite Art Droids Tourney's will be back up and running in a few days time and to get us all back in the mood I'll add a thread detailing some bits and bats around the tournaments and what's going on. If you cast your mind back there are two tourney's running in parallel, one for Current Artists, one for Classic Artists.

So I'll use this thread to cover:

1) A quick recap of the current state of play
2) A summary of the structure and format of the draw
3) A recap of the 'rules'
4) Any other mindless blathering we choose...

Oh and I'll kick off votes on Monday 11th bright and early. Get ready it ain't goin' to be easy.

Colin YNWA

Recap on Classic Droids Tourney to date

So Let's look back at the earlier rounds of the CLASSIC Art Droids tourney. If you remember this included Droids we don't really expect to see in the Prog - or any of Tharg's core comics - anytime soon (much as we'd like too) - well maybe the odd cover or one off - basically Droids who we suspect their body of work  for Tharg is done, by and large.

To even get into the Tourney was quite a feat as Qualifying was horrible. We need to get from 96 Droids down to 32. 16 were given automatic qualification based on the quantity of work they had done for Tharg. The remaining 80 had went into groups of 10 with only the two getting the most votes getting into Round 1.

If that sounds tough let's look at the results from Round 1

...and if you think that looks tough, wait until you see the decisions to be made in Round 2!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Recap on Current Droids Tourney

The Current Art Droids tourney has been little easier. I defined Current Droids as an artists (excluding colourists I should note) who've done a significant body of work for Tharg since Prog 2000 (the 2016 Prog 2000 if you catch my drift, from September 2016, not the end of year celebration Prog 2000ad from 1999). So a complete(ish) long form story in prog or Meg, a significant amount of Dredd and in one case a wonderful number of covers.

Again to even get into the Tourney was quite a feat, if not quite as hard a the Classic bunch as Qualifying was horrible. We need to get 48 Droids down to 32. 16 were given automatic qualification based on the quantity of work they had done for Tharg. The remaining 32 went into groups of 4 with only the two getting the most votes getting into Round 1.

Then Round 1 went like this...

...and as I've said before if you think that looks tough, wait until you see the decisions to be made in Round 2!

Colin YNWA

Structure and Format

When we've been in the tournament proper we've had straight head to heads in a subjective vote for our favourite. That'll continue now until the end of the tourney's when I might run a kinda Champion of Champions vote... or I might do something else, before going into a Ryder Cup of Art Droids I have planned. While you'll only have two to pick from the quality is now so high there will still be a struggle I suspect.

Draw for both tournaments is entirely random, FA Cup style so no seeding, this way we could get some very interest 'big name' ties early on. We'll see (well I've done the draw and we do!).

It all kicks off again MONDAY!

Colin YNWA

Rules(ish)

Look this is for Fun (I've copied and pasted this and done minor edits, so ya know if this feels familiar...) this means the rules are what the rules are. Guidelines to help us all chug along and enjoy this and find some consistency and understanding of what the heck we are doing.

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any artist who appears in these votes, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, is a better artist than we'll ever be and so even if you really don't like someone's work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

1a. Art is massively subjective so we won't agree on what makes good art, but we're talking favourites here. So by all means disagree with each other, be surprised about folks' decisions, debate and chew over, but be lovely and remember you ain't going to change anyone's mind about whose art they prefer so why try!

1b. Runner privilege means that yes I do whinge like no one's business when votes don't go the way I want them to... I need to learn to get over these things!

2. During Round 2 I will start two threads a day, one for 'Classic' Art Droids, One for 'Current' Art Droids. Simply pick your favourite artist from each choice and leave a post saying who.

2a. We are only considering work for Tharg here, so Prog and Meg - defo counted. I don't however give a fig if you think the art on Marshall Law or Skrull Kill Krew is the best EVVVEEEERRRRRR, it's not for Tharg so we shouldn't consider it here - though you can of course discuss it.

2b. When we consider sister publications it gets a bit fuzzy, so I take a much more casual - decide for yourself - attitude. For me I'd say Crisis, yeah sure include that, Starlord and Tornado, you know why not. Revolver... maybe I wouldn't, but if you do, heck how the hell will I know?!?

3. For each vote during Round 2 (and subsequent rounds actually) simply type the name of the Art Droid you want to progress to the next round at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (being lazy and all) if you type the name of your votes at the top of the comment - or make it clear otherwise by adding Bold tags.

4. I will count up votes in each thread after 3 days of starting it and announce the artist moving onto the next round in that thread. Simply put the one with the most votes - once I've done that feel free to add comments, but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

5. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - 'cos ya know I'm self absorbed. But I won't vote beforehand therefore.

6. We are voting for our favourite, so not whose had the most impact, or is most important. There are no scales for objective who's the best artist. It's art, it's whose stuff you like to gaze on the most. We won't agree and there are no right answers (except where I say there is so I can bitch and moan about one of my favs going out!).

For example I love Carlos' art. I really do. He's in my top ten. Is he in my top 5... no. So there, see I've said it it's okay not to vote for Carlos when the time comes, however wonderful the man.

7. I'm winging this so anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.