Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Wondered how long it would take someone to have to bring politics into this

auxlen

Hawkmumbler

With the news the Excel Center, NEC and Mcr Central being converted into makeshift hospitals and morgues, with an alarming emphasis on the latter, and refrigerated mobile morgues being set up State side, I keep being reminded of that painful, gut wrenching page from the tail end of Day of Chaos where the Judges isolate tens of thousands of citizens in a sports arena and just wait for them to die.

We're living in the worst possible timeline here lads.

Tjm86

I have to admit to being in admiration of Trump and his minion's ability to distort reality. 
So now it turns out he is threatening broadcasters in the states over an ad that simply repeats his own words.

Why?  Because they claim that he said a few things between the word "Coronavirus" and the phrase "this is their new hoax."  I'm trying to wrap my head around how they getting round the fact that they haven't included every single word he said in all those speeches in the ad.

Funt Solo

Quote from: moly on 27 March, 2020, 07:04:13 PM

It's right there in Page 1, Post 1 (cos politics is life, man):

QuoteWho'd have thought hardline communist dictatorships were ahead of the game after all?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Quote from: moly on 27 March, 2020, 07:04:13 PM

I was going to reply to this by quoting all the posts in this thread talking about the government's culpability by either delaying their response or a decade of underfunding the NHS, but that would take a while as there is simply no separating this crisis from how we've been failed by neoliberal psychopaths in order to preserve the precious economy that they worship like a god to the point they now want to commit mass human sacrifice to it.
There's only one side of the political spectrum calling for this virus to be allowed to run rampant in the populace and kill a conservative estimate of about half a million people as well as incapacitating 60% of the surviving population for a minimum of 6 weeks so they can't even go back to their jobs anyway - a solution that literally will not work and will kill hundreds of thousands of people and they want to do it anyway because the last five years of politics have taught them that never having to play defence is the same thing as always being right.

Anyway, TLDR: good luck keeping this one apolitical.

shaolin_monkey

On the subject of keeping politics out of this...

Ok, so our government said some bullshit about not getting the email about joint procurement of PPE and other medical equipment with the EU.

We know that's just utter bollocks, but now we have proof. Check out this EC briefing, where EU members say U.K. representatives were present in all discussions.

So not only did they 'get the email', but the government made a decision not to  engage, most likely for ideological reasons (an aide has commented "we're not a member of the EU.")

Yet another life threatening decision to remember when this crisis has passed.

https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/embed/index.html?ref=I-187505&lg=en

sheridan

I read the first post of this thread as being "let's not fill the political thread up with COVID-19 posts, so spin it off" - i.e. the full name of this thread might as well be "The Political Thread 2: Day of Chaos 2: a COVID-19 Thread".

shaolin_monkey

I see your point. Maybe a Mod could split the thread, so we can keep a record of the disastrous decisions the U.K. government is making during this crisis elsewhere?

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 28 March, 2020, 08:52:21 AM
i.e. the full name of this thread might as well be "The Political Thread 2: Day of Chaos 2: a COVID-19 Thread".

Surely it's:

2000ad_online_forum/general_chat/off_topic/political_thread_2/day_of_chaos_2/covid-19_thread

:-*

shaolin_monkey

Rately

When NHS procurement are sourcing disposable scrubs from a fetish supplier, you have to ask yourself what in the hell this Government is doing, how they could have made such a hash of it when they saw what was coming. It is mind boggling.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedFet_UK/status/1243590308878848002

Richard

You simply can't separate this issue from politics, it's inherently political I'm afraid. The fact that it also involves death and tragedy on a monumental scale doesn't change that, because political decisions often cause deaths. Now of course it would be wrong for anyone to try to obtain political advantage from it, but commenting on what our government is doing about it and how we got here -- which is partly the result of political decisions -- is certainly not the same thing.

IndigoPrime

I don't think we'll be splitting the thread. This thread will focus on C19, and that can include some political commentary. This leaves the other thread for everything outside of this subject. Our main concern here from an admin standpoint was outlined by Molch-R earlier in the thread.

If the thread does become too derailed by politics, we can always draw a line.

Cyberleader2000

Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime