Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Except that the vast majority of pages on that site don't sell and the prices never drop. This is all purely from using my observational skills you understand and is merely one opinion among many. There are pages on that site I would love to own but never will because I consider them overpriced. That's not tricky to understand either...

Jim_Campbell

Then, presumably, the vendor isn't THAT fussed about selling. If they were, they'd lower the price. They're not obligated to offer at a price you can afford -- I certainly can't afford any of that. Something is only overpriced if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere, which plainly isn't the case if the item is unique.

I was actually only commenting on the apparent sudden dump of primo Dave Gibbons. I'm not on fucking commission or anything.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

hippynumber1

It's not the case that I can't afford them, just that I won't pay those prices! Yes, they're unique but when I can buy 4 pages directly from an artist for the same price I can buy one page from Artdroids I know which I'm going to opt for! I wasn't suggesting you were on commission and agree that there is some really gorgeous work for sale (Graham Coton's Starlord cover for eg) but it should be flying 'off the shelves'. It's a shame...

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 April, 2014, 11:14:03 PM
Something is only overpriced if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere, which plainly isn't the case if the item is unique.

On many different sites, and from many different sellers, you'll find plenty of examples of original art not selling.
Simply because the owner has priced them up way beyond the going rate.
And whilst each page is unique and a one-off, not all pages are equal. In terms of content, or the price attached. Often better and cheaper examples can be found, or pop up unexpectedly.   

Gotta be quick though, as these tend not to hang around...

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 April, 2014, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 17 April, 2014, 09:42:11 PM
I might be misreading it, but this article seems to back up my earlier 'dubious' claim...

I didn't say your claim was dubious, I said I was dubious. I'm still dubious about the assertion in the article: there are no direct sources to back it up, and the '91 tour didn't feature any Harrison art on any flyers I saw. You have an unattributed printed source to back up your version, I have an unverified personal anecdote from (I think) uk.people.gothic for mine. I like to think Eldritch is a humourless prick when it comes to this sort of thing. There is a ton of evidence on my side. :-)

Cheers

Jim
That article is from the last page of Heartland:issue 4  (Reptile House publishing approved), if you haven't read them you should, they're really good. Very funny in parts.

Have you ever met Eldritch? He's actually dead sound, sorry to ruin any preconceptions.. ;)
In fairness, when I did, he had a bleached blonde crew-cut, which was humorous enough!!

Ps: Artdroids is a little pricey, I have several pages of Biz ABCs that cost nowhere near his ones and mine are better!! ;) 

Spikes

Direct from the mega talented Mr Willsher. A 100% top bloke!

A page from the start of the Day of Chaos, and featuring a brief flashback to Origins.

Link Prime

I also checked out your other Willsher piece on your CAF gallery- lovely stuff, and all the better monochrome IMO.

maryanddavid

Great page by a great Droid. Nice.

Skullmo

A lovely page from a modern classic! :D
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Glad to see there has been some more activity on here recently - the thread has been a bit dead this year.

I'm not sure I have posted these yet!

A Romero Durham Red

A Talbot Nemesis page

It's a joke. I was joking.

hippynumber1

Romero's Durham Red is simply lovely...

Hawkmumbler

Talbot on Goth Empire = Greatest thing EVAH!!!

Link Prime

Talbot era Nemesis / ABC Warriors has a special place in my black heart.
Love that page.

Spikes

Two cracking pages there, Skullmo.
The Talbot probably nudges it, but the Romero is aces as well.

Simon Beigh

Yep both are awesome. But if I could only steal one from you, it would have to the the Talbot  :)