Main Menu

The Great (Friday) Board Debate - Tharg or no Tharg?

Started by SamuelAWilkinson, 29 January, 2009, 11:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

Well, chaps, much as we all love the cheese comparison threads, arguing about whether a kitkat is a bar or biscuit* and correcting each others' grammar, I thought I'd use the board to prompt some kind of a deep, in-depth but vaguely on-topic sort of a question for us all to think about while we languish behind our desks tomorrow. So, the motion on the table is:

The use of the Tharg identity as editor of the Prog is detrimental to efforts to attract new readers.

Speaking for myself, I do love ol' Green-Bonce, but I remember buying my first prog (1334, if memory serves) and being thoroughly perplexed that this awesome, grownup sort of a comic had for no readily apparent reason held onto the fictional editor idea that all the kids' comics used to have when I was younger, and shedloads of inexplicable slang to boot, which served no real purpose.

So is all this just some secret club by this point, mystifying those who wish to join us with our secret language? Or is it by now just a big in-joke for those who've been reading since day dot and would miss it if it all went? Even if it is, are we putting new readers off by carrying it on?

What difference would it make to sales, morale and the overall feel of the comic if next Prog there was no Tharg's intro but rather a little note from Matt explaining that he's done away with all that stuff?

Discuss.

* - it's one of these. But that's not the matter at hand!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

satchmo

I'd never thought of it like that before Samuel, I find it hard to imagine the prog without him obviously, but I don't think it would put new readers off. Everything you need to know about Tharg is there in every issue. In fact I think the nerve centre is very new reader friendly these days. The one time in my life I thought the end was nigh for 2000ad was when the Men In Black took over.Tharg's cooler than Santa.
I'm with Greenbonce Block!

Roger Godpleton

HERETIC

Just joshin' ya. I would much prefer it if Tharg had no part in the letters' section, as it sometimes comes across as aloofness on the part of editorial, particularly when it''s one of the "Your opinion is completely wrong!" type responses. I still would keep the Nerve Centre address at the start.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kev Levell

That's a really interesting thought... I'd miss Tharg, I have to say, he's part of the very fabric of 2000AD.

I really like the atmosphere created by the figurehead and the continuity of ethos that Tharg's presence has brought with it. "Quality stories well told" IIRC.

I'm sure many will remember when those men in black from Vector 13 took over for a while - that, IMO, was a mistake and one I would hate to see repeated.

It would be good to hear from the editorial team more often, but I think the Meg is definitely the place for that.

JOE SOAP

PsychoGoatee

Personally, I think Tharg is classy as hell. I love the guy, and I don't think he'll stop anyone from picking up a prog.

On the contrary, I've only been into 2000AD for a few years, and Tharg didn't frighten or confuse me... not much anyway. :mrgreen:

M.I.K.

2000ad is primarily a science fiction comic. Anybody put off by the idea of a bright green editor from another planet probably isn't the type of person who'd want to buy it in the first place.

That or they're racist.

Bouwel

We have to have Tharg. Without him it'd just be 'another comic'.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

johnnystress

If nothing else at least he helps alleviate the problem of non biodegradable polysytrene

and jumpsuit maufacturers would starve without them

will somebost please think of the jumpsuit manufacturers!?!

W. R. Logan

We've had a period of having no Tharg before and look how crap The men In Black were.

Colin YNWA

Back in the day I remember hating Tharg as an idea and thinking it was silly. I have a letter published in the 700s which I remember I addressed to 'Dear Editor' as I refused to acknowledge Tharg as a childish concept that 2000ad had out grown.

How daft I was. Tharg is a nice little summation of everything that 2000ad stands for. He's Sci-Fi, he's a bit silly, he's irreverent, he's cocky and for all that somehow he's still quite cool but most importantly he's fun. Maybe he's a good barometer for new readers if Tharg's going to but you off you're not going to like the comic anyway?

TheEdge

I hope SamuelAWilkinson is booked on the next freighter out of the universe for his own saftey.

shhhhhhhhh i wouldnt even whisper that kinda thing he see's and hears all.

But seriously, i think its a master stroke.

FOR EXAMPLE They could print some pictures of mohammed, and who's effegy would they burn -------------
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Wedge

I doubt the inside cover is the thing that attracts or doesn't attract people when the flip through the comic, it's the strips. And if they like those, then, well, is the lean green Thargoid machine really gonna put them off? Nah. Tharg and his vernacular are as much a part of the comic's history as the likes of Dredd... not everything should be sacrificed at the altar of new readership.

Dark Jimbo

My first prog was 1212, and I didn't think Tharg was odd or out of place for a moment. In fact, it was quite nice, as he was sort of welcoming me on board in his editorial (it happened to be a jumping on prog) which probably endeared me to the comic quicker than any of the strips themselves.

I'd argue his inclusion is, if anything, less disconcerting to new readers, as he at least provides a bit of context and brief recap of what the title's all about each week, rather than the reader simply be plunged into five completely different strips and left to float or flounder by their own devices.

And as Bouwel said, without him we'd be 'just another comic.'
@jamesfeistdraws

gurnard

I think he works ok especially in the comments in the letters these comments would sound strange if coming from a human editor.  Now if we were talking about someone like Big E from Tornado, now that would be detrimental.  

Do you think it was Big E and Captain Klep that bought Tornado down?

//http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/k/klep.htm

//http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/bige.htm