Main Menu

Favorite Doctor Who

Started by fresno bob, 02 December, 2009, 07:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favorite actor to portray the good Doctor?

William Hartnell
3 (7.1%)
Patrick Troughton
1 (2.4%)
Jon Pertwee
8 (19%)
Tom Baker
21 (50%)
Peter Davidson
2 (4.8%)
Colin Baker
1 (2.4%)
Sylvester McCoy
3 (7.1%)
Paul McGann
1 (2.4%)
Christoper Eccleston
1 (2.4%)
David Tennant
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: 05 December, 2009, 07:58:17 AM

Dandontdare

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 02 December, 2009, 08:39:08 PM
Demographics eh? ;)

True - The Pertwee/Baker years were when I was 3-14, so they'll always be the "proper" Doctors to me, and to many other ageing squaxx it seems! And years later when I was in the US for about 10 months, I managed to watch almost their entire run again, nightly on PBS, long before they were ever available in any format in the UK. Bliss!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 December, 2009, 08:20:20 AM
I wonder whether this will just relate who was the Doctor when you started watching?

Well being born in the mid-80s means I suppose McCoy is really 'my' doctor. I remember watching (and being shit-scared by) Curse of Fenric. Also have a vauge memory of watching the Colin Baker Dalek one.

But it's still Pertwee all the way as far as my fave goes. Didn't they repeat a few of his in the early 90s? We didn't have a VHS player but I definately saw The Daemons and Spearhead from Space at a fairly early age (and was, once again, suitably terrified by.)
@jamesfeistdraws

Paul faplad Finch

Pertwee all the way for me. No question about it.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Eric Plumrose

The Great Tom, for me.

Followed by Troughton (between him and McGann as to who's the best actor to have played the good Doctor officially) and Davison (gave the best single performance of any actor to have played him despite not quite reaching the potential of Albert Campion, or so I seem to remember).

The others often depend on my mood or at which point during their tenure, but it usually ends up as:

• Hartnell (a Doctor unencumbered by continuity)
  • Pertwee (slowly warming to yer man Wurzel, despite his paternalistic tendencies)
  • McGann (as with Father Brennan, it's the ease of his portrayal)
  • McCoy (when intelligible, brilliantly understated and sought to put back the WHO in the show's title)
  • T'other Baker (a missed opportunity, yet gave the best debut performance of any of the actors)
  • Ecclestone (as appealing as he was, it's not the Doctor)
  • Mallett
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Adrian Bamforth

You forgot Peter "Hello, I'm Doctor Who" Cushing.

WoD

Can someone pull up the 'how old are you' graph side-by-side with this one...would love to see if the correlate nicely.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 03 December, 2009, 06:30:32 PM

I've no problem with his inclusion, mind, but Cushing's not in-continuity. Include him, then Trevor Martin gets a shout.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 03 December, 2009, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 03 December, 2009, 06:30:32 PM

I've no problem with his inclusion, mind, but Cushing's not in-continuity. Include him, then Trevor Martin gets a shout.

Not to mention George Gallaccio, Robert Holmes, Graeme Harper, Douglas Camfield, Robert Banks Stewart, Christopher Baker, Philip Hinchcliffe and Christopher Barry- who all appeared on screen in the BBC TV show Doctor Who, on BBC1, playing pre-Hartnell incarnations of The Doctor, in The Brain of Morbius, back in 1976!

And yes, that IS what they are meant to be- that was the intention of the production team, and is explicitely stated during the episode... and yet fandom has fallen over itself since then to ignore it.

SBT

SamuelAWilkinson

McCoy for me, who was indeed the Doctor of my youth.

Least favourite is Tennant, though I think that's not so much his fault as the bounder Davies's.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

vzzbux

Sorry Samuel, but McCoy???? I can't believe he has any votes at all.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mike Gloady

Based on McCoy's performance, I totally understood why the Beeb pulled the plug.  It was PAINFUL.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: vzzbux on 03 December, 2009, 10:08:42 PM

Nah, McCoy was excellent. I've been watching some of his stories recently, and he's the one my boys respond to the best- far more so that Tom Baker or Tennant. They really love him. His was a Doctor that gave just enough to make the continuation of the series, post cancellation, in The New Adventures so possible- as his was the most "mysterious" persona since the original.

The Seventh Doctor of the New Adventures is my favourite, second only to Hartnell... who wins, cos he was on telly (which I think was the intent of the poll!) and the books are those bits of  Dr Who I enjoy more than any of the tv show, beyond the first couple of years.

SBT

V

Dandontdare

I thought McCoy was pretty good - and following Colin Baker he was bloody brilliant! Couldn't stand that Ace though.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: vzzbux on 03 December, 2009, 10:08:42 PM

Can't speak for Samuel but that's exactly how I feel about Tennant. By far his best performance for me was in 'Tooth and Claw', when he was actually allowed to be Scawtish.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 December, 2009, 09:39:35 PMNot to mention George Gallaccio, Robert Holmes, Graeme Harper, Douglas Camfield, Robert Banks Stewart, Christopher Baker, Philip Hinchcliffe and Christopher Barry . . .

Ah, they were just poster boys, though. Trevs put in a full month's wage!

SmallBlueThing

And Richard E Grant. Twice.

SBT