Main Menu

Annoying Americanisms

Started by Bullmoose, 05 December, 2009, 02:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullmoose

Something that really annoys me is the regularity with which british people now use 'gotten' instead of 'got' in sentences (such as 'I have gotten sick of this'). I have always understood this to be American. I even found this word used in 'Thrillpower Overload' by David Bishop.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Kiwi, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, it's annoying - but useage doesn't bother me as much as their spelling ticks which MS Word seems intent on saddling me with semi-regularly when spellchecking documents (despite setting my language as English (UK)).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

"There's no reasoning with the English."

sigh

Mike Gloady

There's no spelling with the Americans.....

Sigh.

Also, are you sure you don't want to spell that "reezonnin" or something?

Several months ago I came across the American spelling of "Sulphur" - guess how it's spelt.  I still can't quite believe how stupid someone must be to need that simplified.....

locustsofdeath!

We are all stupid, yes. I agree.

locustsofdeath!

Tharg will never conquer America until every word in the Prog is "spelled" correctly.

(giggle-giggle, the Brits fail to conquer America yet again)

Mike Gloady

We conquered it in the first place.

Or, as you might say "konkered"

Mike Gloady

locustsofdeath!

Ah, you and the French and Spanish - or "Frinch" and "Spannich". I'll save you the trouble. But I still agree - we are all quite stupid. Quite. Stupid.

SamuelAWilkinson

Mike, did you just double post solely in order to double post?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Hell Trekker

I love the wacky way you guys speak, please don't let us be a bad influence!

Mike Gloady

No, pure stupidity.  It's not just the preserve of the colonials you know, we were being stupid FIRST!!!! Nyah nyah nyah nyah!!!!

Peter Wolf

I am guilty your honour.

I admit it but i am not going to change the way i spell or whatever because i refuse to conform to an English way of spelling words or using certain phrases or terminology and if others dont like it then tough shit because i dont tell anyone else how to speak or spell.

I am a filthy foreigner so i have a right not to have perfect english although i do have an english accent.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 05 December, 2009, 03:36:33 PM
No, pure stupidity.  It's not just the preserve of the colonials you know, we were being stupid FIRST!!!! Nyah nyah nyah nyah!!!!

Ah Mr. Gloady, that made me laugh out loud. Well done.