Main Menu

2000AD: A dying comic for middle-aged saddos?

Started by Bullmoose, 06 December, 2009, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: stacey on 08 December, 2009, 06:21:40 PM

All the cool kids are 32, me, you, 2000AD, erm anyone else who's 32!  ;D

Yeah! ME! Spooky coinci - uh... hang on, I already said this...

In efforts to say something in keeping withthe topic (dangerous as it may be) - so WHAT if any magazine has a readership including the middle aged? This is relevant how, exactly?

If a broad range of age groups enjoy 2000AD, that's testament to the quality of the content and its appeal. If a goodly number of more - ahem! - senior folks enjoy it, that can only be taken as a good sign too. As long as I've been aware of 2000AD, it's always been the comic that had more grit and bite than the other stuff on the news-stand. The fasct that it has a respected, mature fan base has never surprised me in the least.

Possibly it helps that when I was 12 years old, my 10-years-older step-brother used to sneak away with my progs when he thought I wasn't looking...
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Kerrin on 08 December, 2009, 07:10:57 PMCouldn't the meg be slimmed down a bit i.e lose the film reviews and mini GNs...

NO! No lose mini GNs or Marky have tantrum and throw toys out of pram!

(Sorry, this thread just made me realise I'm middle aged. I'm therefore overcompensating by reverting to toddlerhood.)

stacey

I love the mini GN's too, pretty invaluable for a relative new newbie. Though it would be great to see a version of the prog aimed at kids.  Maybe a collected and coloured stories featuring Walter.

Kev Levell

I've done the type, edit, preview, hover over the post button so may times with this topic.
There are definitely some valid thoughts in all this.

2000AD is anything but dying, the content is stronger now than it was at the height of the comic's popularity.

The main problem, as I see it, is retail positioning. If you've ever tried finding a copy in Whsmiths (for example), you'll know what I mean. You need esoteric knowledge of each store in order to find it... I sympathise with what the production team have to contend with - getting respect/awareness of your product depends on so many external factors - it doesn't matter if your product is good - you need the 'right' outlets, distributors and marketeers to understand it and to be supportive of it.

Sadly, I think many of the people in question see 2000AD as anachronistic and difficult to place in their one-dimensional demographic led marketing. If the new Dredd movie is a success - I've no doubt the comic will see itself aligned with the Star Wars magazines. If the ABC Warriors series is a hit - move over Ben10 comic!

I also feel that there is a certain degree of apathy amongst UK retailers toward anything 'homegrown' - they don't have faith unless there is that pedigree of 'bankable' historic success... Why does everything have to have Disney, Warner Bros et al stamped all over it for it to be even considered as worth promoting?

SmallBlueThing

whs hastings display 10. last week all sold by sun, 8 more appeared mon, 5 sold by yesterday. sbt

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: stacey on 08 December, 2009, 06:21:40 PM
Quote from: HdE on 08 December, 2009, 02:48:49 PM

And what a ker-ray-zee coincidence! I'm 32 as well! It's a sign! I just KNOW it's going to be the bonus ball number this weekend!

All the cool kids are 32, me, you, 2000AD, erm anyone else who's 32!  ;D

I'm 33! Damn, missed out by a year. Story of my life.

Roger Godpleton

No one cares about Hastings. Nothing important has ever happened there, ever.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kev Levell

Someone got something in their eye once - I'm sure of it.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: KevLev on 09 December, 2009, 11:58:58 AM
Someone got something in their eye once - I'm sure of it.

Yeah apparently the date is memorable because it was exactly 600 years before zombies overran London, or something.

TordelBack

Dandontdare

Could we get the title of this thread to appear one the front cover banner over the logo?

Devons Daddy

My son is now 12 and has been hooked for about 3 years,

is 2000ad relevant HELL YES!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2009, 06:42:33 PM
Could we get the title of this thread to appear one the front cover banner over the logo?

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, if were Tharg (and I'm not), I'd start the new year with "A dying comic for middle aged saddoes" in place of "The Galaxy's Greatest Comic", and "GREAT NEWS INSIDE, READERS!" as the front cover banner.

SBT

Kev Levell

Why not go the whole hog...
2000AD
BEGINNING TO SMELL OF WEE

SamuelAWilkinson

Ah, tits. I'm away from the board for a few days and when I get back I'm suddenly informed that I'm a) due to die at the age of 48 and b) not as awesome-cool as I thought I was. Puts a right crimp in your day, that.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.