Main Menu

Dr Who Christmas Special

Started by Jim_Campbell, 25 December, 2009, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 January, 2010, 02:17:35 PM
I feel sorry for Matt Smith - bumped into one of the most anticipated roles in Television and the best compliment he's had so far is "Well, at least he's an ugly fecker!".

How shallow we are.

I dunno... saying that his flat, square face is non-pretty is not the same as saying he's ugly. Personally, I think he's a perfectly pleasant looking chap, and more appealing than, say, Captain jack, precisely because he's not just another off-shelf prettyboy and has some actual character to his mush. More of it on TV, please, and the same goes for the women.

I'd say something nice about his acting (if justified), but I've never seen anything else he's done.

Regards

Robin

House of Usher

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 January, 2010, 04:52:28 PM
I dunno... saying that his flat, square face is non-pretty is not the same as saying he's ugly. Personally, I think he's a perfectly pleasant looking chap, and more appealing than, say, Captain jack

Hear, hear. I think 'unconventional good looks' probably covers it.
STRIKE !!!

Tiplodocus

Yes, that's a much nicer way of putting it.  I'm a bit of an unconventially good looking bloke myself.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Christov

He looks a bit like a good looking bloke who attacked a shovel with his face.

TordelBack

And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the Daleks of Skaro,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well never mind,
We are ugly but we have the TARDIS."

I think it's great that the next Doctor isn't some Edward-from-Twilight looklike.  However, more specifically, I think he looks like Peter Davidson after been hit by a shovel.

Kerrin

So now the interior of the Tardis has had a shake up are we likely to get a new design? I'd like to see some more of the place, I think it was the one off with Paul McGann where we got to see a library and various other rooms. 

TordelBack

Quote from: Kerrin on 09 January, 2010, 07:01:10 PM
So now the interior of the Tardis has had a shake up are we likely to get a new design? I'd like to see some more of the place, I think it was the one off with Paul McGann where we got to see a library and various other rooms. 

I seem to remember a room full of clothing in a McCoy or C Baker episode too.  Yeah, I'd like to see people getting lost in the TARDIS, twisty turny passages all alike, that sort of thing.

Ochs

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 January, 2010, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: Ochs on 09 January, 2010, 10:32:57 AMAs for Jo Grant. Have you seen her now? How did such an atractive woman turn into a hideous crone.

I believe it's a natural process, commonly referred to as aging.

Regards

Robin

No. There's aging and aging. take for example Sean Connery, he looked good as he got older, Jane Fonda ditto.

Something strange happened to Katy Manning. Her mouth reaches from one ear to the other in a kind of deranged skeleton way. I suspect plastic surgery of the same tragic kind that befell my once fantasy girl Leslie Ash (particularly in Quodrophenia).

Me... I intened to avoid surgery myself, age gracefully and keep my chiselled good looks.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

House of Usher

Stephanie Beacham's not doing badly, aged 62. I don't suppose she goes around with a face as creaseless as that without intervention, so there must be as much to say in favour of cosmetic surgery as there is to be said against it.
STRIKE !!!

Ochs

True, but when it goes wrong it goes badly wrong.

Peter Wolf

Botox is derived from Botulism.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Christov

Sat down with the first episode of the reboot today, mostly for something to watch to kill a dull Sunday afternoon, but I wanted to see if it was actually as good as I remember.

It was. Sort of.

The acting was a little bit ropey, and it was obvious that they had nowhere near the budget they have now (which made it seem like a faster paced version of the old series, surprisingly), but it was enjoyable regardless.

I'd forgotten how much I like Christopher Eccelstone's Doctor, he was bouncy without being annoying like Tennant became after so long, and had a sadness in his eyes that a thousand 'million mile stares' couldn't replicate. Shame he left after one series, but that probably adds to the impact his Doctor made.

You can tell RTD is actually trying in Series 1 because he hasn't be lavished with mostly unwarranted praise, and it's a complete shame that he reduced a decent revival to a formulaic mess after only two golden years.

Ochs

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really enjoyed the last series with Catherine Tate. Admittedly some episodes weren't great but overall I thought that it was the best of the four.

The specials were generally poor though despite the pre show hype and the show lost it's way over the last eighteen months.

Roll on series 5.

Dandontdare

I'd agree that the series were all superior to the specials. From Kylie on the titanic to this year's quartet of nonsense, they were all overblown, illogicaly plotted celebrity-studded and rather poor.

Colin YNWA

Yeah agree that the specails have by and large been pretty damned poor from the out set. I guess they have more of a big christmas movie thing going which allows RTD to run rampant which to my mind ain't a pretty sight.