Main Menu

Dr Who Christmas Special

Started by Jim_Campbell, 25 December, 2009, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

How does that old maxim go?  In any internet discussion of Doctor Who, the likelihood of the thread turning into a fond remembrance about which companion was sexiest is 1:1, or something.

mogzilla

romana 2 ,easy...

but back to the mysterious woman... i first thought rose...until she was on gallifrey,then i thought mum,(but not in a godpleton way) did you notice the nod to  weeping angels? are we to believe the angels are punished timelords or summat?

Buddy

I actually thought she looked like Sarah Jane.

But it was still pish.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mogzilla on 06 January, 2010, 10:56:50 AMare we to believe the angels are punished timelords or summat?

Are we to believe that RTD actually thinks about any of this in that much detail?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hoagy

It could as easily have been an art direction. Still pointing to the same thing. I think a part of the portents, bits and not actual specifying 'angels' as such.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dandontdare

Surely the point is that if a bunch of relatively intelligent adult sci-fi geeks have no idea what was going on after much dissection; and if the actress playing her doesn't even know who the hell she was supposed to be playing, then it was badly written. There may have been throwaway lines to explain other nonsenses, such as how the resurrected Master got superpowers and kept going all skull-face, but if there were I missed them.

If the target audience is 12 year olds, has anyone asked one of them what they thought was happening? I'm sure that huge chunks of this would go over their heads too.

House of Usher

Whilst Lalla Ward was very little and sweet in the role, Mary Tamm was much saucier. I remember the rhyme Gary W came up with last time we debated the relative charms of the two Romanas.
:D

My favourite ever Romana II moment was when she blew up K-9 playing fetch with a beach ball.
STRIKE !!!

Mangamax

Ahhhh, finally positivity on this thread.  :D The best ever companion:

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Radbacker

scuse me gonna borrow this thread for a few minutes  :D

CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

Well if ya going to play hardball Mangamax how about

House of Usher

Mangamax presents us with pictures of a woman with sex on fire oozing from every pore, and Colin_YMWA comes back with a sort of well-scrubbed mannequin?
STRIKE !!!

satchmo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 January, 2010, 12:11:29 PM
Surely the point is that if a bunch of relatively intelligent adult sci-fi geeks have no idea what was going on after much dissection; and if the actress playing her doesn't even know who the hell she was supposed to be playing, then it was badly written. There may have been throwaway lines to explain other nonsenses, such as how the resurrected Master got superpowers and kept going all skull-face, but if there were I missed them.

If the target audience is 12 year olds, has anyone asked one of them what they thought was happening? I'm sure that huge chunks of this would go over their heads too.

The Master was burning through his life essence really quickly, hence the skull face (nod to the deadly assassin?). That was an idea I liked, as it seems something the more petulant of Timelords might do for a laugh now and again, knowing they can always regenerate. I thought The Doctor jumping through the skylight might have been a nod to that too, him kind of doing the same, showing him and The Master aren't so different.
The Mysterious Woman could have been his Mam, or Future Donna, but does it really need to be spelled out? It worked for me.
Did he call Timothy Dalton Rassilon? I liked the switcheroo on the Time War, making the Timelords as big a bunch of pillocks as the Daleks.
I still say The Master should have had a hovercraft though.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: satchmo on 06 January, 2010, 05:04:48 PM
Did he call Timothy Dalton Rassilon?

He did indeed. Debate rages among the nerds I know as to whether it was meant to be the real Rassilon.

QuoteI still say The Master should have had a hovercraft though.

Seconded.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: House of Usher on 06 January, 2010, 04:52:08 PM
Mangamax presents us with pictures of a woman with sex on fire oozing from every pore, and Colin_YMWA comes back with a sort of well-scrubbed mannequin?

Arh well now I realised as I was looking for images I was on a sticky wicket on the photo front but I took a punt anyway. The thing is Lalla Ward had such a cheeky gleam in her eye (which just doesn't come through on the photos I can find) that she kicks the more traditional (though not inconsiderable) Mary Tamm's charms into touch.

On the photo front I admit I'm struggling to prove my point.

When do we get to Anneke Wills, Deborah Watling, Wendy Padbury and Louise Jameson?

Richmond Clements