Main Menu

Dr Who Christmas Special

Started by Jim_Campbell, 25 December, 2009, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Interesting quote from RTD on his "unique" take on story telling....

"I can see how annoying that looks. I can see how maddening it must be, for some people. Especially if you're imposing really classical script structures and templates on that episode, even unconsciously. I must look like a vandal, a kid or an amateur... The simple fact is, all those things were planned. All of them were my choice. They're not lazy, clumsy or desperate. They're chosen. I can see more traditional ways of telling those stories, but I'm not interested. I think the stuff that you gain from writing in this way – the shock, the whirlwind, the freedom, the exhilaration – is worth the world. I've got this sort of tumbling, freewheeling style that somersaults along, with everything happening now - not later, not before, but now, now, now. I've made a Doctor Who that exists in the present tense. It's happening now, right in front of your eyes! If you don't like it, if you don't join in with it then... blimey, these episodes must be nonsensical. But those classical structures can be seen in Primeval, in Demons, in Merlin, in all of them – and yet we stand with millions more viewers. And I think that's partly why."

SamuelAWilkinson

Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Cthulouis

QuoteI've got this sort of tumbling, freewheeling style that somersaults along, with everything happening now

So, he likes the fact that he makes it up as he goes along?

Jim_Campbell

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Words actually fail me. Is he actually saying "I make this shit up as I go along, but I can get away with it because of the viewing figures" ...?

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Gaah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

Quote from: House of Usher on 26 December, 2009, 08:53:16 PM
Well done those of you who could detect any writing at all; I didn't see any in evidence. I thought it was all improvised on the spot and edited together into some semblance of a narrative after the fact.

Told you so.  :D
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

I would be very happy is Russell T Davies never, ever, wrote anything for television ever again, Dr Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane, or not. I'm dumbstruck by that quote- because Jim's interpretation (while probably not what RTD intended) is absolutely reasonable. He IS actually seeming to say "I make it up as I go along, and that's okay, because lots of people watch". He writes his scripts as other people update their Facebook status, and thinks it's okay because lots of his friends click 'like'.

ARGH!

SBT

Proudhuff

This from waaaay back:

Quote from: Al_Ewing on 08 April, 2008, 12:22:24 AM
I quite liked it - it was cute, sweet and very pleasant. Having watched the end of Torchwood with fully ten minutes of sobbing at the end, it was nice to get something that was just a bit of fun. Donna looks like she's going to be a better assistant for lack of all the usual emo gubbins - but I'd prefer BERNARD CRIBBINS as the companion! Why can't the Doctor just romp about the spaceways with an agreeable old duffer in tow?

and Lo it came to pass! Has RTD been picking Al's ideas?
DDT did a job on me

Eric Plumrose

Anyway. Back on topic:

And he's a ginger.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Ochs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 January, 2010, 09:17:42 PM
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Words actually fail me. Is he actually saying "I make this shit up as I go along, but I can get away with it because of the viewing figures" ...?

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Gaah!

Jim

Well that seems to be the last word on the RTD years. He simply got overly self indulgent and egocentric. His argument does seem to be "I write this in this way, other shows don't, we have higher viewing figures therefore it's all down to my style because people love it."

He seems to forget that a lot of people watch Dr Who because they grew up with it (if Merlin is still on in forty years it may well top the viewing figures). It has nothing to do with his writing, in fact his stories are generally very poor, however RTD has slipped his head so far up his own egotistical arse that he really does think it's all about his style... oh dear, what a shitsack.

Goodbye at last is all I can find to say.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

Roger Godpleton

According to the Guardian Queer as Folk is better than The Wire.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 12 January, 2010, 11:06:10 PM
According to the Guardian Queer as Folk is better than The Wire.
Wow. Guardian journalists are contractually obliged to go on about The Wire as much as computer mag journos have to like that fat, moustachioed little cunt Mario.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Mario gets better pussy than anyone on this board.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 13 January, 2010, 12:34:43 AM
Mario gets better pussy than anyone on this board.

By the power of the internet!
Lock up your spoons!

The Monarch

excuse me I'm gonna commit myself now after witnessing THAT image