Main Menu

Mark Millar on his 2K work - "pure shite"

Started by Marbles, 05 January, 2010, 02:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 January, 2010, 07:18:55 PM
Well he probably wasn't the first or last to use 2000ad as a springboard without having too much affection for the title. Its almost a standard entry system for UK writers trying to get noticed in America.

The difference is Millar & Morrison made a point of broadcasting it to the world, rubbing our noses in their shit so to speak. I can't think of any others who acted like this even if they had ulterior motives.

James Stacey

can we remove the '2k' bit from the title. It would make it more appropriate. Like he suddenly became good when he had finished alienating the 2000AD readership from their beloved prog.

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 January, 2010, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 05 January, 2010, 06:35:22 PM
What I don't understand is:

a) Why he even thought about writing for a comic he had neither read nor liked - its not like conning your way in was a guarantee of riches (although it had clearly worked out very nicely for him in the long run, it can't have been some part of some evil masterplan)

Well he probably wasn't the first or last to use 2000ad as a springboard without having too much affection for the title. Its almost a standard entry system for UK writers trying to get noticed in America.

Yes I suppose. I'm probably being naive, as getting a story in 2000AD would be on my "things to do before I die" list but to others it is on their "stepping stones to working on American comic books" list and it seems those who cynically pursue this (with not much of an eye to anything else) do seem to do well.* I'm worried now - I got plenty of nice jumpers and T-shirts for Xmas and there seems to be a lot of people out there who will buy the Emperor's new clothes, I'll have to remember to lock all the doors and windows tonight in case of burglars.

* Although I was please to see Jock, Simon Spurrier and Rob Williams joining Paul Cornell on the Dark X-Men: The Beginning anthology, so sometimes hard work and talent does pay off).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: uncle fester on 05 January, 2010, 02:53:13 PM
He has his own forum? Isn't that a bit... oh wait  :-X

Are you suggesting we have a new rival forum? Has John Byrne's mob been ousted?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Dog Deever

QuoteHe has his own forum

Has the infiltration began?
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Roger Godpleton

Can we not invade other forums? It will be funny for about five minutes then it'll get increasingly pompous and tenuous.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Wow after displaying sensitivity the other day, today Roger displays restraint. Maybe we have an infiltration of our own here to worry about!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 January, 2010, 07:35:21 AM
Wow after displaying sensitivity the other day, today Roger displays restraint. Maybe we have an infiltration of our own here to worry about!

I knew hiring those Christmas Ghost costumes was worth it.

locustsofdeath!

Yeah, I'm actually shocked that a professional would come out and rip on the place he got his start - whether he felt that way or not. Has he given any thought to the fact that (for some unknown reason) he may have carried over fans from 2000AD?

And how many people are actually posting on his forum?

Darren Stephens

Tsk, he's a bit of a knob sometimes, is'nt he? Still, I do enjoy some of his work.....some.  ::)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

W. R. Logan

Well he's only saying what we've been saying here for years.

The only disagree with one thing and thats that he thinks anything he wrote for 2000 was any good.

Grant Goggans

Good for Millar.  He's learned "insight," even if "telling an entertaining story" still eludes him.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 January, 2010, 08:05:57 AM
Yeah, I'm actually shocked that a professional would come out and rip on the place he got his start - whether he felt that way or not.

Oh, it's better than that, my pestilential friend -- he (and Morrison) were doing this while they were actually working for the comic, giving interviews where they said "2000AD was shite until we came along".

For Morrison, not that I think it's an excuse, I get the feeling that this was as much about his unerring ability for self-promotion, since he very rarely exhibits actual contempt for previous versions of series he works on. Millar, not so much.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dunk!

Did Mark Millar have comic writing experience before 2000ad?

I'm guessing even with Morrison as his sponsor he would have to have submitted examples. Didn't their lack of relevance to 2000ad start the alarm bells?

It's like an artist being commissioned to do Dredd after a portfolio of only Spiderman and Batman examples - something I've always thought the submissions process warned against.
"Trust we"