Main Menu

The Big British Castle

Started by radiator, 13 January, 2010, 10:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Rupert Murdoch and the little cheerleaders that work for his rotten rags have a vested interest in destroying any competition.Be it the Beeb (nice easy target for their free market bleatings) or anyone else. Less competition means bigger market share and hopefully (from their view) more profits for their corporate shareholders. So much for market diversity and other crap I've heard from economic liberals over the years. What free markets would really mean is ONE person owning all the media.

And that persons name? A Mister R.Murdoch of where? Oh yes he's a citizen of the globalised world as he sold his nationality for mammon.

Oh and those paid up liberal "journalists and broadcasters"  failed to spot the biggest story of the decade namely the utter collapse of the blessed fucking market of which their masters are such blinkered fans.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 January, 2010, 08:34:25 PM
Quote...most of TG4 output is bought in from other countries and consists of redubbed docs, old movies, children's TV plus HBO series that would end up otherwise on late night RTE2.

Agreed, but the fact remains that I watch a lot more movies and cartoons on TG4 than I ever do on RTE - and a lot more foreign language stuff than Irish.  I also have the trad music shows on a lot while I work, and of the Irish language stuff I've enjoyed the sailing and hiking programmes, and my Irish is virtually non-existant.  I watch bugger-all TV, and less Irish TV than anything else, but TG4 holds my attention better than most, in between My Super Sweet 16 and One Tree Hill.  However, I'd have no problem seeing it merged back into RTE2, as long as nothing of RTE2 remained.  And if I ever see Pat Kenny or Ryan Tubirdy again i'll be way too soon.

agreed but they should dump the pretence of it being a true Irish language station when it was just a lobbying point for politicians in the west.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Robin Low

Someone's probably already said it, but...

39 pence per day.

Regards

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 14 January, 2010, 10:42:24 PM
39 pence per day.

It's terribly British isn't it? We have a broadcasting service that is genuinely the envy of the entire world, the broadcasting standard by which every other broadcaster on the planet is judged, and we moan because per household it costs less than a pint of beer per month.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

As someone whose kids watch Cbeebies and I watch a lot of the documentaries, and Top Gear sometimes which is always great fun, is well worth the licence fee if I was in the UK.

QuoteThey should bring the license fee down, reduce it to 2 channels again and absorb TG4 programming into RTE2 and have it as bilingual or full Irish, it doesn't really matter but we don't need 3 state channels. Half of RTE2 is dead air anyway but if you do an honest count amongst the crap, RTE still shows a higher proportion of better, more watched programming than TG4.  RTE  needs to hire the better talent, stop paying way over the odds for independent programming (which is where a lot of the crap lifestyle shows come from) and reduce the management structure.

Personally, I think you are all down on RTE, I have had this arguement before, the licence fee, which is expensive, but from 4 odd million people, is feic all money. This goes to pay for all GAA games, which have a massive viewership, likewise the Soccer and Rugby in which they have to go up against Sky for the rights to show.

Between RTE and TG4 most of  the top American dramas (like Lost and True Blood etc) are usually shown on Irish television before they are aired in the UK. The reason apparently is that Ireland is a small english speaking market, they give the programmes to RTE, see what the ratings are and then charge the UK market accordingly.

Most of the prime time popular programmes are popular with a lot of people, I dont watch Fair City, not my cup of tea, neither is Eastenders.  The all Ireland Talent show, I like. It is a bit Parish Hall, but thats why I like it. It not Xfactor, its ordinary people from any little half parish on the telly. Nationwide is the same, It serves a purpose, and gives local places a voice on the telly that on commercial television they would never get a chance.

RTE news  is great, its as good as anything in the UK, and certainly better than most American news I've seen.

The heavy hitters that are paid large amounts(which pale in regard to UK pay) Pat Kenny, a great Political interviewer, his arrogance annoys me, and whoever thought he was a good choice for the Late Late should be ashamed.
Tubridy, can't stand his Radio show, but he has been a breath of fresh air to the Late Late, which I now actually watch some of.
Gerry Ryan was a bit of fresh air on the radio at first, still not too bad, but that was twenty years ago, crap on the telly.
Marian Finucan, two days on the weekend, good program, that amount of money? Why?
Eamon Dunphy, worth every bit, loose cannon, eejit, but  RTE would be a poorer place without him.

IMO the point of public service broadcasting is to provide television for everyone which is an impossible task. The next time you see a doc on recovering drug addicts with nuns in a farm in Meath, or a guy with  a camcorder and a gas griddle walking from Co.Derry to Co. Kerry across the mountains. He then went the Bedouin in North Africa all in Gaelic. Are these programmes going to appear on Sky or TV3? Not a hope.

Hanyhoo, thats my opinion on RTE, and the BEEB is good too.

David

bluemeanie

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 January, 2010, 10:48:23 PM
It's terribly British isn't it? We have a broadcasting service that is genuinely the envy of the entire world, the broadcasting standard by which every other broadcaster on the planet is judged, and we moan because per household it costs less than a pint of beer per month.

But I LIKE BEER! I choose to have it! Any argument with beer on one end of the scales is gonna be a loser with me mate
But to be honest, I dont live alone, I have a lovely wife type thing. If it was optional we probably would still have it as she watches a fair bit of TV and loves her costume dramas and stuff.
And I wouldnt begrudge it for a second. Shes chosen the BBC package. We are paying for it as we should.

Its purely the fact its enforced that pisses me off. Its not essential, I should be able to choose if I want it or not.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 January, 2010, 10:48:23 PMit costs less than a pint of beer per month.

I don't know where you live, Jim, but you should move.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: maryanddavid on 14 January, 2010, 11:22:45 PM

Personally, I think you are all down on RTE, I have had this arguement before, the licence fee, which is expensive, but from 4 odd million people, is feic all money. This goes to pay for all GAA games, which have a massive viewership, likewise the Soccer and Rugby in which they have to go up against Sky for the rights to show.

I'm down on RTE for a reason, I work there as an editor and I see what's wrong with it from the inside and it's mostly from the top and middle. The people who are actually involved in making programmes are mostly talented, intelligent, hard working people making programmes on tiny budgets for around the average wage. The people at the top and middle who have no input in programmes (those that do are generally clueless or have personal agendas) are overpaid and could easily be chucked apart from accounts and the Director General. The viewership figures has remained steady but ouput should be better if the right people were fostering the right talent but unfortunately the Irish are a lazy lot when it comes to cleaning the shit out of the stables.

RTE's role has always been the archiving and documenting of our culture's past, present & future which is something the people need to be reminded of now again within and without the organization. It's not solely for entertainment and amusement.

A programme I worked editing mostly in the last few years has been "Scannal", an Irish language show that generally has an audience of 250,00 - 400,000 viewers, which is a lot more than the average 50,000 viewers TG4 gets on a good day, I just don't feel we should be propping up a third state channel for what is perceived to be in political circles culturally important when that is really RTE's job in the first place, that's why I propose going back to 2 channels, one Irish, one bilingual; it would save money.

As for the celebs, I don't feel any of them should be earning more than a €150,000 a year and in this economic climate their wages could easily be cut from the obscene amounts they are at now cos no one will be headhunting them, an excuse always given when it was suggested they earned too much. RTE holds the broadcasting power in the country so they know what side their bread is buttered.

thinky

i moved to new zealand 12 months ago and i can tell you that i miss the bbc more than i can attempt to describe

the tv over here is a shockingly bad collection of uk reality tv, sub-par (or years old) american series' and kiwi and aussie "doco's" - the phrase 'you never know what you had until it was gone' is sadly apt

yes, there are wankers on it being paid inordinate sums of money for fuck-all meaningful or entertaining output, and it's impossible to enjoy and personally value *everthing* the bbc broadcasts, but the bits you do enjoy and - as others have pointed out - the social benefits that others get from it makes the bbc something to cherish and keep

and yes, i know i don't pay the licence fee here, but i'd pay it in an instant for a ramp-up in quality

thinky

you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 15 January, 2010, 12:43:25 AM
I don't know where you live, Jim, but you should move.

Eek! Bad maths! That's a pint of beer per WEEK.

Curse my drunken typing ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

QuoteCurse my drunken typing ...

That's cheap beer for you.

Old Tankie

Watching Jeremy Paxman regularly humiliate our corrupt political class is worth the licence fee on its own.

Mike Gloady

Agreed Tankie.

Interesting debate. 

I'm a regular viewer of BBCs 2 & 4 and listener of Radios 2, 4 & 6 (and watch/listen to the others a bit too).  It's a fine organisation and puts out a fair chunk of good material.  I used to be a bit of a basher and would use the likes of Holby/Eastenders/My Family as a stick to beat them with.  Of course, time has taught me the error of my ways and I'd take the Beeb's failings over Murdoch's any day.  Vile little crook.  I have bugger all money and the license fee is kind of pricey, but worth it.  Just look at the shite ITV, 5 and Sky make if you need proof.

Of course, now that Adam & Joe are on sabatical I predict the fall of the Big British Castle within weeks.  Hurry back, I'm having to listen to Johnathan Woss in the meantime and he's off soon too (totally understandably really). 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Proudhuff

Compare and contrast...

British Telly  vs italian telly

BBC Vs Berlusconi Broadcasting Clowns
DDT did a job on me