Main Menu

The Big British Castle

Started by radiator, 13 January, 2010, 10:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: radiator on 14 January, 2010, 06:51:12 PM
A special treat for those who missed it.... Skip to 5:38 and feel the rage wash over you......

COTTON/GELDOF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbcbYyl6bA

That was just unbelievable.I watched the entire thing and i know that Charlie Brooker picked extreme examples but that clip really demonstrates what has gone wrong with television.

Just WTF was Torchwood all about ??

:lol: :crazy: :thumbsdown: :o

Fucking unreal or completely surreal.Is it for children ??Not sure i would want my children watching that kind of material TBH.Thats not the kind of material that i am happy subsidising either.

If someone could dispose of John Barrowman in whatever way i would be very happy.The same goes for Russell Brand because if ever there was someone who is massively overrated and NOT funny then its Russell Brand.Loathsome creature.Rather like a 15 - 16 yr old trapped in an adults body.

If i ran the BBC i would also sack Robert Peston in an instant and send him packing to the private sector where he belongs because if i am forced to pay a licence fee then i bitterly resent paying for someone who is so close to Govt and who continually sucks up to Gordon Brown so openly.Robert Peston also instigated the run on Northern Rock because Robert Peston was being given inside information straight from the Treasury and then broadcasting it.This is just one example.

This kind of activity is unnacceptable because its part of the BBCs remit to be apolitical and not a propaganda outlet.

>:(

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 January, 2010, 04:58:12 PM

Fucking unreal or completely surreal.Is it for children??

absolutely not. Dr Who's supposed to be for all the family, sarah Jane is aimed at kids and Torchwood aimed at an adult audience. Barrowman is supposedly a brilliant actor in musical theatre, but his mannerisms are just too big and overblown for television. He's a very funny interviewee however! He did a crap straight to video movie once and threw in an improvised, and totally innapropriate, line about eating pussy, purely to make his co-star laugh and put her at ease - unfortunately it made it into the final edit by accident.

Proudhuff

nothing funnier than a Jaffa kicking off about what his kids 'could' watch  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 January, 2010, 05:46:00 PM
nothing funnier than a Jaffa kicking off about what his kids 'could' watch  :lol:

What is a Jaffa ?

I did a search and couldnt find anything.Its obviously some sort of derogatory term of description.

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 January, 2010, 06:09:19 PM
What is a Jaffa ?

Seedless.

A noble, and dare I say ecologically sound, state of being.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 January, 2010, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 January, 2010, 06:09:19 PM
What is a Jaffa ?

Seedless.

A noble, and dare I say ecologically sound, state of being.

There is still plenty of time to correct that state of being.

Thanks for explaining though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 January, 2010, 04:39:42 PM
Compare and contrast...

British Telly  vs italian telly

BBC Vs Berlusconi Broadcasting Clowns

Italian television is the most vacuous, inane combination of electrons ever to be broadcast on the tube.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2010, 05:15:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 January, 2010, 04:58:12 PM

Fucking unreal or completely surreal.Is it for children??

absolutely not. Dr Who's supposed to be for all the family, sarah Jane is aimed at kids and Torchwood aimed at an adult audience. Barrowman is supposedly a brilliant actor in musical theatre, but his mannerisms are just too big and overblown for television. He's a very funny interviewee however! He did a crap straight to video movie once and threw in an improvised, and totally innapropriate, line about eating pussy, purely to make his co-star laugh and put her at ease - unfortunately it made it into the final edit by accident.

Its like you see a clip of Torchwood which i have never watched before ever and it just looked like some ridiculous spoof or comedy type thing.

I might try watching it if its on Youtube !

:lol:

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 16 January, 2010, 01:13:11 AMIts like you see a clip of Torchwood which i have never watched before ever and it just looked like some ridiculous spoof or comedy type thing.

Oh, it is, it is. Although that probably wasn't the intention.

Regards

Robin

House of Usher

An interesting discussion thread. I realize it's something I don't feel all that strongly about though. Without the BBC I'm sure broadcasting would be totally crap. But that's okay, because then I'd probably be more inclined to exercize or read a book or something.

To object to the BBC on grounds of cost is kind of pathetic. If it seems expensive then they're not paying you enough. Maybe there should be a concessionary rate for the unwaged and low earners - it is, after all, a regressive form of taxation.

Overall the BBC maintains a very high standard of output, matched only by Channel 4 News, Dispatches, Peep Show and The IT Crowd, etc. Without the BBC to set the standard for news and current affairs reporting the British public would be significantly less well informed than they are already, because you cannot rely on Sky News, the Daily Mail and MSN to tell you what's going on. It's a pity the 6 o'clock news on the BBC is so dumbed down and they save the grown-up news until 10.30pm on BBC2.
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

Quoteremit to be apolitical

Well, just to blow Radio Ulster's news again, percieved political bias is something regularly trotted out by both sides, which says to me they're doing something right.

As far as the national news, can't say I see it as biased. Do you see it as inherently left/liberal or something?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

Quotepolitical bias is something regularly trotted out by both sides, which says to me they're doing something right.

Indeed! I've always taken the daily complaints from both camps about Davy Dunseath as a sign he was being straight down the middle in his sarcasm!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mikey on 17 January, 2010, 01:18:06 PM
Quoteremit to be apolitical

Well, just to blow Radio Ulster's news again, percieved political bias is something regularly trotted out by both sides, which says to me they're doing something right.

As far as the national news, can't say I see it as biased. Do you see it as inherently left/liberal or something?

M.

The political outlook of the BBC is very similar to that of the Guardian.If you dont like the political outlook of the Guardian you dont have to read it or buy it but with the BBC you dont have the choice.

There are some good comments in the comments section of the article linked below which explain what i am talking about :

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100004097/controller-calls-on-the-bbc-to-foster-left-of-centre-thinking/

Going back to what i said earlier it cant be right having a Business editor employed by the BBC who has such close ties to govt.

House of Usher

The correspondent 'Gordon Bennett' says

QuoteI have always been aware that the beeb is continuously left-wing and pro labour and it irritates me a great deal.

This begs the question: how can the BBC be left-wing and pro-Labour? It can't be both. The Labour Party hasn't been left-wing since John Smith died.

Furthermore, as the correspondent 'Queenie' opines, Ben Stephenson, a BBC controller who called for 'left of centre thinking' (politically biased) probably meant 'left-field' (original and counter-intuitive) which means something else altogether.
STRIKE !!!

Trout

Hi. Just a quick post to apologise. I shouldn't have been making inflammatory, sweeping statements on this board when I didn't have time to join the debate properly.

Briefly, my problem with the BBC is focused on its news, which is publicly-funded yet competes with a struggling private sector. Like many journalists, I'm concerned about the fture of our industry and deeply uncomfortable with the budgets the BBC can command.

I agree there are all sorts of great things the BBC does, though.

I'll shut up now. The baby's down for a nap and I WILL FIND TIMED TO SHAVE TODAY.  :)

- Trout