Main Menu

The Big British Castle

Started by radiator, 13 January, 2010, 10:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

BBC6 is a station that I don't actually listen to often, but am really glad it exists. There are loads of things that philosophy would apply to actually, many of them provided by the BBC.

Mike Gloady

Life without Lauren Laverne, Hughey Morgan, Stuart Maconie?  Unthinkable. 

6 Music and BBC4 are the shining reasons I don't mind paying for the license fee. 

BBC 3, Radio 1 and 1 Extra...... not so much.  Yawn.  BBC3 is already done "better" (by which I mean more successfully) by the godawful E4.  And commercial local radio offers all the pop and rnb stations you can handle (and lots more those over 18 really can't).  I thought the purpose of having a state broadcaster was to do things nobody else is doing.  Seeing as xfm is now the indie version of Capital (and lost all credibility sometime last century) 6 music is the only station doing what it actually does. 

And the World Service through the night?  How about just making Radio 4 a 24 hour thing, then no need for it.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Apparently BBC3 is a training ground for new talent and very productive for that and so has been said to be safe. Very little on it I enjoy but apparently quite important.

It also keeps the tosh off the channels I do like if I'm feeling elitist!

Steve Green

I'll be surprised if 6music does go, it does seem to be a very unpopular move.

I wonder if it's just the BBC presenting a worst case so they can reign back from that and still cut what they really want to, to show a probable new tory government that they're cutting back of their own accord and don't need the government to swing the axe.

Mike Gloady

BBC3 - NEW TALENT?

Presumably this is the unfunny morons Corn and Horden?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Steve ^McWild^ Green on 27 February, 2010, 09:39:17 AM
I'll be surprised if 6music does go, it does seem to be a very unpopular move.

I wonder if it's just the BBC presenting a worst case so they can reign back from that and still cut what they really want to, to show a probable new tory government that they're cutting back of their own accord and don't need the government to swing the axe.

Yeah- I think (and hope) this is a clever move by the Beeb, leaking this story as a way of demonstrating the support for what they do.

Mike Gloady

Like the way Heinz said they were going to stop making the godawful Salad Cream stuff (honestly, in a world where you can get mayonaise or tartare sauce there cannot be a place for this overly sweet impostor).  Good point, here's bloody hoping.

Proudhuff

There should be a 'Save Our Six' e-petition to No 10, I'd do it but have no idea where to start  :-[
DDT did a job on me

radiator

While 6 Music may not get massive listening figures, the ones it does have are extremely loyal and vocal.

Look at the Adam & Joe Saturday morning show - listeners would regularly send in jingles, songs, posters, models, animations, cartoons etc that they had produced purely for the love of the show. It genuinely felt like a community of like-minded, creative individuals, an audience simply not catered for on any other music station out there. It was also a show that introduced me to a lot of music.

6 Music isn't without it's problems, though - hiring the awful George Lamb was a huge mistake which drove many old fans away, and over the last few years it has become far more mainstream and playlisted. Were it to be saved, I would like to see it regain it's alternative stance and play a far greater variety of music - having a strict playlist always seemed at odds with what they were trying to achieve.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 27 February, 2010, 10:44:43 AM
Yeah- I think (and hope) this is a clever move by the Beeb, leaking this story as a way of demonstrating the support for what they do.

You're overlooking the fact that this came out via The Times, which is a Murdoch paper and thus no friend of the BBC.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 February, 2010, 11:26:48 AM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 27 February, 2010, 10:44:43 AM

You're overlooking the fact that this came out via The Times, which is a Murdoch paper and thus no friend of the BBC.

Cheers

Jim

True... but if I enter into a massively complex conspiracy theory...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 27 February, 2010, 11:28:05 AM
True... but if I enter into a massively complex conspiracy theory...

Tinfoil hat, sir?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Radiator, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.  It seems very "in" to post a quote without comment in these circumstances, but I think it's lazy and annoying so I'm typing this to say the same thing. 

I CONCUR.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me