Main Menu

What kind of TV is best for gaming :

Started by Peter Wolf, 21 January, 2011, 06:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Now have finally got into the next generation of gaming what type of TV is best to make the most of the gaming experience in terms of picture quality ?

I dont know nothing about TVs or what is on the market and i dont know the difference between LCD and High Definition or anything else as i am still using a cathode ray TV that needs replacing so its time to buy some Chinese slave goods.

The only criteria it has to fulfill is size as i dont want the screen to exceed 18" in size as i dont like large TVs as they tend to dominate the room so wether that is a factor that rules out high definition i really dont know.

Cheapness isnt a factor as you get what you pay for and i want quality

Any advice or recommendations is most gratefully received in advance.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SmallBlueThing

<Sobs> No, Cathode Ray brother, say it isnt so! That'll leave me probably the only person here still watching a big chunky box in the corner of the room! It's like I Am Legend, only with TVs, not rubbish cgi vampires. Hang on to your set, brother! I thought i needed HD, but what i actually needed was a pair of glasses.
SBT

radiator

Your best bet is a 32" LCD or LED set - you should be able to get a quality 32" LCD for around £300. I'd go for a Sony, Panasonic or a Samsung. Anything smaller than 32" and it's not really worth upgrading to HD from a visual standpoint imo.

If you want something bigger, go for a 40/42" plasma screen - ideally a Panasonic. I recently got a 42" Panasonic plasma for £349 and I love it. Personally I prefer plasmas as I think they look much better when viewing non-HD content. LCD/LEDs usually give a slighty sharper HD image but don't handle colour and movement as well.

As for whether to get a 'full HD' (1080p) set? Frankly, in real terms the difference is marginal.

And don't forget to get an HDMI lead (just buy a cheapo one - don't let anyone try to sell you a expensive one - they're a waste of money) or if you have an older Xbox, you'll need a composite lead instead as old 360s (like mine) don't have an HDMI socket.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 January, 2011, 07:35:58 PM
<Sobs> No, Cathode Ray brother, say it isnt so! That'll leave me probably the only person here still watching a big chunky box in the corner of the room!

I know nobody's going to believe this, but I genuinely prefer the picture of cathode ray televisions to the LCD things. There's really no contest.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

QuoteI know nobody's going to believe this, but I genuinely prefer the picture of cathode ray televisions to the LCD things. There's really no contest.

No, I totally understand that. Non-HD content always looks a bit ropey on flatscreens - it's why I put off buying one for so long. HD stuff, of course, looks stunning.

As far as 3DTV, I remain to be convinced.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 January, 2011, 07:52:49 PM
<Sobs> No, Cathode Ray brother, say it isnt so! That'll leave me probably the only person here still watching a big chunky box in the corner of the room!

I know nobody's going to believe this, but I genuinely prefer the picture of cathode ray televisions to the LCD things. There's really no contest.

I've always felt this too.

radiator

Digital TV channels, especially the slightly naff ones like Dave or the music channels, look terrible on flatscreens because they're broadcast in such low quality and flatscreens, because of their size and clarity, don't hide a lot of the pixellation and graininess like CRTs do.

Jared Katooie

Keef Monkey

If it's for gaming then you can pretty much ignore any fancy post-processing effects the tv might boast, as you'll probably switch all that stuff off to prevent any lag. For that reason I got a Samsung because there's a game mode on them that skips a lot of that stuff. So I've got a profile for my 360 on it in game mode, and normal mode for the PS3 cos that's how I watch my blu-rays.

Speaking of which, I've always been impressed by blu-ray, but recently watched a movie sat on a bean bag about 3 feet from the screen. It made me realize that from the couch I'm really not getting the benefit of it as much. It's a 37'' and the couch is probably only about 5 or 6 feet away but the difference up closer is incredible. You can see every stretch mark.

Peter Wolf

Thanks for the comments so far.

<Sobs> No, Cathode Ray brother, say it isnt so! That'll leave me probably the only person here still watching a big chunky box in the corner of the room! It's like I Am Legend, only with TVs, not rubbish cgi vampires. Hang on to your set, brother! I thought i needed HD, but what i actually needed was a pair of glasses.
SBT

I bought my TV [A Sony 14" portable] as new 10 years ago and nothing has gone wrong with it except for a loose connection in the Scart connector which i did myself by heavyhandedness.There has been no deterioration in picture quality at all.From a design point of view it still looks contemporary.I am sort of attached to it in a way.

I am think Sony Panasonic or Samsung as well but i have no idea what an HDMI lead is but the XBox came with a lead that connects to Scart connectors plus i have quite an expensive connecting lead for TV to DVD which is probably no use here.

The only thing i know is that a couple of years ago i went to an O2 festival and there was an stand promoting and demonstrating computer games and i remeber thinking how pin sharp the picture definition was on the TV screens and while the picture quality i have is acceptable it still looks like i am playing a PS2 game.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

radiator

Quotei have no idea what an HDMI lead is but the XBox came with a lead that connects to Scart connectors plus i have quite an expensive connecting lead for TV to DVD which is probably no use here.

You'll need either an HDMI lead or a component lead to get an HD picture from the Xbox to the TV - Scart doesn't carry an HD picture.

Mardroid

SBT

Not the only one. I have a 28" CRT widescreen tv. It's stood me good stead though so no complaints. Over the last couple of years the colour has gone a bit funny with a slightly reddish tint so I'm certainly considering getting an LCD jobbie when I can afford it. (I.e. when I've got full time work!)

I, Cosh

I am also the owner of 28" CRT set. Primarily because it still isn't broken so I don't see any pressing need to upgrade. The only issue I have with it is that I sometimes think games developers assume everyone on Earth has a 50" display, so I'm not sure how you'll get on playing on a portable.

Radiator, interesting point about the non/HD. I'd always wondered if I was just being a dick for finding that so annoying.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

We've still got my thirteen year old 32' Panasonic up in  the big room.  It's done 4 world cups now and plain refuses to break.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!