Main Menu

Lame Claims to Fame

Started by Bagley, 02 April, 2015, 05:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

I'm not sure meeting a celeb at an event where you've paid/planned to meet said celeb really counts. Random meetings or tenuous links are the better stories. Anyway...

Think I've mentioned it on here before but I once told Buster Bloodvessel off for pissing in the beer garden of my brother in law's pub with the comment "you ain't that famous anymore mate." He belched and carried on pissing.

NapalmKev

I met Paul "Greedo" Blake at Exeter Comic Con a few years ago. I nearly upset him by saying Greedo shot first*, but he was quite sound about it.

He even wrote 'Han shot first, ok!' on a signed photograph I purchased.

Cheers

*of course Han shot first but I couldn't resist the temptation
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Buttonman

This great thread has reminded me of another one.

At my pals wedding at Marr Hall outside Glasgow Mike Tyson was hanging about awaiting a limo with his entourage. He was taken with our kilts (or possibly the bridesmaids) and was happy to pose for photos one of which made the papers. He was a perfect gent and softly spoken. Most of our snaps involved us putting our fists to his chin and I have to say he had a scary aura about him.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/scottishnews/3214869/Lets-Ty-the-knot.html

Tiplodocus

I think I just walked by Flavia from Strictly Come Dancing. She manages the great trick of looking incredibly attractive while also looking like a character designed by Aardman animation.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Six months ago, I was trying to find some free or unsecured Wifi in New York when I came across a network called WuTangLAN. I like to think I was outside The RZA's house, but I probably wasn't.
We never really die.

Bagley

There are some excellent lame claims to fame here. Funny stuff.

Another one from me...

A few years ago, I was waiting in my car outside an accountancy firm where a friend of mine worked, having agreed to pick him up while his car was having some repair work done. Contently reading a copy of The Beano, I was suddenly disturbed by the roar of a large, black 4x4 which pulled up alongside me. Four suited legal types got out, followed by none other than a famous British comedian known for his hamster-eating antics, whose first name is the same as the deceased, former lead singer of Queen and whose surname could be described as a fixed luminous point in the night sky which is a large incandescent body like the sun. I'd clocked him in my peripheral vision and saw that he was making the suits wait in the hope that I'd turn to spot him and be starstruck.

So I made him wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually, I turned my head to face him, and he pulled an odd expression as if to say "Yes, it's me, _______ _____ off the telly!" Knowing full well who he was, I pretended not to recognise him, gave him a sneer and turned back to read my comic. Using my peripheral vision again, I saw his ego deflate in front of the suits, some of who were smirking behind his back.

Shortly after, my friend arrived and said he was glad to be out of the office. Apparently, the well-known comedian was there to secretly pay off a very young woman to avoid her telling the papers about something very unsettling he'd done to her, allegedly. My friend said his mood was made worse because one of his "fans" saw him in the carpark and didn't ask for his autograph!

Leigh S

In September 2000 Big Brothers "Nasty" Nick Bateman(?) was hiding out in the hotel where we got married - He was in disguise with a big beard and minders and he signed our book of condolence (that's what it's called isnt it?)....

Modern Panther

I once received a phone call from a politician, who was angry at being told he couldn't legally do what he wanted to do.  He told me that "the law is wrong".  He wasn't happy when I told him I didn't write it.

Also, I once stood behind Effie from Take the High Road in a post office queue, and Daniel Bedingfield blocked my view at a concert.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Bagley on 12 April, 2015, 06:12:53 PM

Another one from me...

A few years ago, I was waiting in my car outside an accountancy firm where a friend of mine worked, having agreed to pick him up while his car was having some repair work done. Contently reading a copy of The Beano, I was suddenly disturbed by the roar of a large, black 4x4 which pulled up alongside me. Four suited legal types got out, followed by none other than a famous British comedian known for his hamster-eating antics, whose first name is the same as the deceased, former lead singer of Queen and whose surname could be described as a fixed luminous point in the night sky which is a large incandescent body like the sun. I'd clocked him in my peripheral vision and saw that he was making the suits wait in the hope that I'd turn to spot him and be starstruck.

So I made him wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually, I turned my head to face him, and he pulled an odd expression as if to say "Yes, it's me, _______ _____ off the telly!" Knowing full well who he was, I pretended not to recognise him, gave him a sneer and turned back to read my comic. Using my peripheral vision again, I saw his ego deflate in front of the suits, some of who were smirking behind his back.

Shortly after, my friend arrived and said he was glad to be out of the office. Apparently, the well-known comedian was there to secretly pay off a very young woman to avoid her telling the papers about something very unsettling he'd done to her, allegedly. My friend said his mood was made worse because one of his "fans" saw him in the carpark and didn't ask for his autograph!

Excellent work!

Fungus

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 April, 2015, 12:20:04 PM
Quote from: Bagley on 12 April, 2015, 06:12:53 PM

Another one from me...

Excellent work!

Swine! Just posting my admiration of this and get pipped  >:(
That tale is worth the thread on its own.

Minor aside: is bumping into a celeb in Real Life really a claim to 'fame' ? I blame Celebrity Culture.

James Dilworth

The bloke that played Bishop Brennan on Father Ted?  My dad used to work for his dad.

shaolin_monkey

I was told my singing was shit (very true) by Cary and David Grant.  Plus, after meeting Lorraine Kelly she is my most favourite celeb in all the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4qAF00T7F0

I'm the guy in the brown stripy shirt.

amines2058

As a young innocent 16 year old I earned a few extra bob by waitering up my local Hilton hotel. One of the perks of the job was free use of the leisure facilities. Me and my waiter friend were enjoying the use of the steam room one Saturday morning, when who should walk in but Vicky Michelle of Allo Allo fame, obviously this is 25 years ago so she was rather a splendid looking lady then.
We ended up like the nervous school boys we were in the presence of this fine lady, too nervous to utter a word, only to stare in admiration, but all I can say is those memories lasted a long, long time!! ;) :D (Well until I got married anyway!!)

JPMaybe

Not mine but my dad's:  he roadied for the Pistols for a little while, then the Vibrators (I think that's the right order), and also Motörhead sporadically.  He knew the Pretenders, and keeps in touch with David Vincent of Morbid Angel (no idea how that connection came about in the first place) and the UK Subs. 

He also claims to have gone out with Debbie Harry for a few weeks in the early eighties, which makes me seethe with envy every time I watch Videodrome.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Grugz

Quote from: amines2058 on 18 June, 2015, 08:57:08 AM
As a young innocent 16 year old I earned a few extra bob by waitering up my local Hilton hotel. One of the perks of the job was free use of the leisure facilities. Me and my waiter friend were enjoying the use of the steam room one Saturday morning, when who should walk in but Vicky Michelle of Allo Allo fame, obviously this is 25 years ago so she was rather a splendid looking lady then.
We ended up like the nervous school boys we were in the presence of this fine lady, too nervous to utter a word, only to stare in admiration, but all I can say is those memories lasted a long, long time!! ;) :D (Well until I got married anyway!!)

saw her in York a few years ago...she still got it!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html