Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Bad Company vs. Hondo City Justice Rd 3 Heat 40

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 June, 2022, 06:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 09 June, 2022, 09:53:00 AM
Hondo City Justice is quite a lot better than it's (non) reputation might suggest - but Bad Company is I think every bit as good as its reputation as a Top 10 all-time thrill...

Yup. A lot to like about HCJ, but even more to like about Bad Company. (Although the Dayglo revival is so bad it did make me briefly reconsider).

Quote from: AlexF on 09 June, 2022, 09:53:00 AM
...and I find something to love in every series except maybe the one so bland it's only known as 'Bad Company 2002'.

Also known as 'Saving Private Franks'. It's got BC's only gay characters in it, so there's that?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

bad company, were it not for the revival.

so hondo city justice.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 June, 2022, 07:55:05 AM
Bad Company.

It's a thrill that had a very strong first series, but where each subsequent series felt like diminishing returns. And I'm really not a fan of the recent revival.

But it's easily the better thrill here.

This^^^
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

I've enjoyed the Hondo City Justice stories more than the Shimura ones that preceded it (with the caveat that the Frank Quitely one was the best thing in the world, ever).

Look how cool HCJ is:

With Bad Company, the first series is an absolute blinder. Era-defining, prog-taking-over stuff (when everything else in the prog was treading water to an extent). The Bewilderness had some merits, but suffered from the obvious structure of getting the gang of misfits together. Each subsequent series went further into the abstract until the creators were literally farting into the collective face of the readership (see Terrorists, progs 2061-2071).

It really has gone from the best thing in the prog to the comic's equivalent of having a bully push your head into a toilet bowl. It has become ... bad company.

---

If I were voting on the first series, BC would win. If it were what I'd like to read a new series of...

Hondo City Justice
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Bad Company.  The second two were good, everything after that  ranged from shite to not the best, but the first made up for everything.  (Also, wasn't Shrike gay? He was around long before the 2002 couple.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 June, 2022, 03:25:50 PM
With Bad Company, the first series is an absolute blinder. Era-defining, prog-taking-over stuff (when everything else in the prog was treading water to an extent).

It's funny....I was going to say the complete opposite about the other stories at the time e.g. Bad Company managed to stand the test of time despite not being the best thing in the Prog at the time. That would have been Slaine The King. But the seemingly sporadic publishing schedule of that seemed quite annoying at the time. Looking in up on Barney it missed 8 weeks in the middle, presumably to give Fabry time to draw it.

Plus you had Torquemurder (hmmm actually I'm not sure how good that was) and then Strontium Dog Bitch.

Southstreeter

Bad Company, the best thing that came out of the legendary Prog 500. The first series is one of my all time top 10 (I've said that about more than 10 series, mind). The sequels were always enjoyable, and let's not talk about the recent revival.

NapalmKev

Bad Company.

The first series is outstanding, subsequent tales not so much.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 June, 2022, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 June, 2022, 03:25:50 PM
With Bad Company, the first series is an absolute blinder. Era-defining, prog-taking-over stuff (when everything else in the prog was treading water to an extent).

It's funny....I was going to say the complete opposite about the other stories at the time e.g. Bad Company managed to stand the test of time despite not being the best thing in the Prog at the time. That would have been Slaine The King. But the seemingly sporadic publishing schedule of that seemed quite annoying at the time. Looking in up on Barney it missed 8 weeks in the middle, presumably to give Fabry time to draw it.

Plus you had Torquemurder (hmmm actually I'm not sure how good that was) and then Strontium Dog Bitch.

Right - there's still tons of good stuff in the prog - my "to an extent" is important here. I loved the art on Slaine the King, but felt like it was a bit "Slaine's Retirement" - so just narratively not as engaging as "That Time Slaine Kicked a Dark God's Arse". Torquemurder is fine (again, great art) - but nobody's (probably) voting Book VI as the epic's high point. Lots of okay stuff in Dredd, with The Taxidermist being the stand out golden thrill of this 20-prog run. The Dead is good, but not golden. And SD: Bitch was not my cup of tea as a story, but (again) has great art. I don't think I ever really got over Wulf's death, if I'm honest.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

To be fair, Strontium Dog Bitch was probably more about squeezing a Spitting Image style Ronald Reagan into the Prog than doing a serious story.

AlexF

Do people really hate the revived Bad Company that much? It's a total change of direction from what had gone before but I got a lot out of it, anti-establishment righteous anger and all that. And Dayglo's love for Brett Ewins is just SO intense it bursts out of the page.

broodblik

Only the last chapter was a little too much but yes Rufus art was great
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.