Main Menu

MEG 329 - UNHOLY TERRORS

Started by Buttonman, 13 October, 2012, 07:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Not a great cover for me - the Anderson is nice but the rest looks like a pre-teen's art collage.

Bad news from the Editor is that the Meg is going monthly from it's present 4 weekly format - 1 less Meg a year!

Dredd in 'Ratfink's Revenge' was OK - the scabby one finds the undercity as do some other iso-cube escapees. The Troggies come worst off as always and Dredd does his 'Captain Captured' routine once again.

Anderson takes on another mad cult in another abandoned church - nothing much here.

Snapshot is turning into a long exposure and I'm past the caring and looking forward to the wrap up which is happily next month.

Dredd's 'Killer Elite' is a load of old nonsense but fun stuff. Basically it's 'Crusade' with crims with a touch of 'The killing' amply sprinkled about.

Still to to the reading bits but 4 pages on the TMNT is 4 too many for me.

Nothing stands out this month but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

The Prodigal

I was thinking of taking out a double subscription for Christmas. Does this mean that you lose a meg for the same subscription price?

Signed

A tight-fisted get.

Buttonman

Nah, they'll either reduce the rate or make the sub 13 months long. This is my assumption and by no means fact!

My subs lable says what the last issue I've paid for is, not the date so, that would make sense.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Buttonman on 13 October, 2012, 09:01:30 PM
Nah, they'll either reduce the rate or make the sub 13 months long. This is my assumption and by no means fact!

My subs lable says what the last issue I've paid for is, not the date so, that would make sense.

Thanks Buttonman. That does makes sense.

Richard

I thought that the competition runner-up was the best text story we've had in the Megazine yet.

James Stacey

Quote from: Buttonman on 13 October, 2012, 07:33:06 PM
Snapshot is turning into a long exposure and I'm past the caring and looking forward to the wrap up which is happily next month.

Unfortunately its making way for more American Reaper isn't it? Which is going to drone on even longer with the Megs new schedule. One glossy, plastic faced chase scene could last up to six months.

The Prodigal

I'm getting a sense that right now might not be the best time for a meg sub.

Please guide me oh wise heads of the forum.

Hawkmumbler

Nah. Wait till Strange and Darke return's, then jump on. That series is a sizzler.  ;)

The Prodigal

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 October, 2012, 03:58:58 PM
Nah. Wait till Strange and Darke return's, then jump on. That series is a sizzler.  ;)

Any idea when that starts Hawk? What's the premise of S and D anyway? I've only ever read the prog really.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 06:35:50 PM

Any idea when that starts Hawk? What's the premise of S and D anyway? I've only ever read the prog really.
Nothing confirmed yet (as far as I know, await's pleasent surprise) but some time next year as a guess. The first series cocnluded around May this year, so a second series should be just be in the pipeline (hopefully). It was a hit on here and it was left open ended so we'll 95% be seeing a follow up soon.

SoD is kinda like the old Kolchak series. A mix of X-Files, Doctor Who, Hammer Horror and a healthy dollup of Quatermass. It deal's with supernatural being's in Dredd's world, the first series being about about the titulare heroin's encountering Goat God's (Styx....Styr....I forget) in 22nd century Wales.
It was a wonderfully original series for a Dredd world tale, and I hope the second series is out there ASAP.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 October, 2012, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 06:35:50 PM

Nothing confirmed yet (as far as I know, await's pleasent surprise) but some time next year as a guess. The first series cocnluded around May this year, so a second series should be just be in the pipeline (hopefully). It was a hit on here and it was left open ended so we'll 95% be seeing a follow up soon.

SoD is kinda like the old Kolchak series. A mix of X-Files, Doctor Who, Hammer Horror and a healthy dollup of Quatermass. It deal's with supernatural being's in Dredd's world, the first series being about about the titulare heroin's encountering Goat God's (Styx....Styr....I forget) in 22nd century Wales.
It was a wonderfully original series for a Dredd world tale, and I hope the second series is out there ASAP.

Thanks Hawk. I appreciate the guidance fella.

James Stacey

Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 10:23:58 AM

I buy it for the good stuff which to me is worth the cover price. An extra Dredd or 2 a month, usually 2 good Dreddworld strips, and occasionally a floppy I'll want to re-read. If you're lucky the creator owned slot will have something thumpingly good. Lily Makenzie was great, as was Number Cruncher. Snapshot is very pretty but feels like a film pitch / storyboard more than a story and in my personal opinion American Reaper is just plain terrible (other peoples opinions vary). Some months you can rejoice in the magnificence of the Meg, other months its just OK. It's still only the price of a couple of pints a month and there is always something good in it.

The Prodigal

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 October, 2012, 09:23:56 AM
Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 10:23:58 AM

I buy it for the good stuff which to me is worth the cover price. An extra Dredd or 2 a month, usually 2 good Dreddworld strips, and occasionally a floppy I'll want to re-read. If you're lucky the creator owned slot will have something thumpingly good. Lily Makenzie was great, as was Number Cruncher. Snapshot is very pretty but feels like a film pitch / storyboard more than a story and in my personal opinion American Reaper is just plain terrible (other peoples opinions vary). Some months you can rejoice in the magnificence of the Meg, other months its just OK. It's still only the price of a couple of pints a month and there is always something good in it.

I am ready to bite for a sub but wanted to time it for maximum enjoyment which is probably an impossible science I know. I only came on board at Christmas so I am heavily reliant on the good advice of people like yourself.

I haven't a baldy about American Reaper but it seems to have gathered a lot of adverse comment. It starts this month doesn't it?

James Stacey

We have another month of snapshot yet to come I believe. My (well documented on here) problems with American Reaper was the pace. Fairly routine story spread a great distance over many months of Meg. Lots of (beautifully rendered) splash pages, which I'm sure will look good in a glossy hardback edition but just feel like a waste of space when you are limited to so many pages a month. Oh and then the pseudo 'Rock band' 'The Darkness' appeared in it and it went even further down in my eyes. Its very pretty once you can get over the fact every person looks like Clint Langley wearing a wig.

SmallBlueThing

Im not going to bother to try and sell american reaper to anyone, but i loved it. It's typical pat mills and painted by clint langley- there is literally nothing not to love.

As for the meg itself, ive often felt in the past that it's a terrible waste of money- for years on end. However, not at the moment. Even with snapshot, which i stopped reading ages ago and which i find as inuriating as others seem to find american reaper, it's a big fat dose of quality comics and features about our favourite medium. Long may it continue, and molch-r's comment on the other thread about the loss of an issue per year being unrelated to the health of the comic cheers me up no end.

SBT