Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2019, 09:52:56 PM
I wish these youtubers had decent editors. I tend to shy away from anything over the twenty minute mark. The amount of videos where you think "Why would I spend 60 minutes listening to a critique of a film that's only 100 minutes long?" is staggering.

tl;dr

JOE SOAP

It says a lot about the current state of Star Wars films and fandom that the self-aware RLM lads are regurgitating the same old theories and rumours as every other youtube channel for the past year or so, although with infinitely more wit and sense.

They're proabably still pulling from old Lucas sequel plans where Palpatine exists as a jar of old midi-chlorians or something.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2019, 09:52:56 PMI wish these youtubers had decent editors. I tend to shy away from anything over the twenty minute mark. The amount of videos where you think "Why would I spend 60 minutes listening to a critique of a film that's only 100 minutes long?" is staggering.
Most podcasts are the same. Quite why people feel the need to bang on for so long, I don't know. The bulk of those I've listened to could be condensed into half the time or less with some decent editing.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 July, 2019, 01:27:14 AM
They're proabably still pulling from old Lucas sequel plans where Palpatine exists as a jar of old midi-chlorians or something.

There's really no plot with a resurrected Palpatine that's worse than any other. Even the novels and comics understood that,  once the initially brilliant Dark Empire had sunk into ghastly incoherent repetition, they ditched the idea for good.

It's beyond me how a sequel trilogy that should have moved us on, and with TLJ looked like it actually might have done that, apparently ends up regurgitating the Emperor, the Sith, the bloody Death Star and probably Luke *again.*  Can't we just have Rey, Kylo & Co with some  exciting space battles,  monsters, lightsabres,  mystic forces,  explosions, moral choices, witty banter,  frustrated romance,  destinies fulfilled,  sacrifice and redemption, all against a background of struggle against monolithic industrialised evil etc. Y'know,  Star Wars,  but with different characters and perils.

Kerriste,  can't we just have Solo 2?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2019, 11:22:32 AM
Can't we just have Rey, Kylo & Co with some exciting space battles, monsters, lightsabres,  mystic forces,  explosions, moral choices, witty banter,  frustrated romance,  destinies fulfilled,  sacrifice and redemption, all against a background of struggle against monolithic industrialised evil etc. Y'know,  Star Wars,  but with different characters and perils.

You could, but they're scared it wouldn't make as much money.

I don't follow this stuff at all, so the news that Lucasfilm had hired the guy who wrote Batman vs Superman and Justice league to man the typewriter hit me round the head like a gaffi stick.

Someone thought the ideal choices to put the cap on their trilogy were the guy responsible for how Lost ended and the wordsmith behind MARTHA? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!

Bolt-01

Yeah, well that's not as bad as letting the men who wrote X-men origins Wolverine write the plot for Game of Thrones after they ran out of book...

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 16 July, 2019, 01:15:37 PM
You could, but they're scared it wouldn't make as much money.

The infuriating thing about all this is that it looks like the whole project may have, in the end, been twisted back to the over-familiar by the whining of the wankers who effectively boycotted the surprisingly good  Solo. FFS Disney, ignore the dead-end represented by those wastes of bandwidth and concentrate on winning new audiences. 

'Course I could be completely wrong and this might be the film where Poe and Lando give into their devil-may-care intergenerational attraction under the disapproving eye of the Falcon's navi-computer, while Finn cucks Kylo so hard he does a Luke and vanishes into the dark side.  In fact please let me be wrong: if ya gotta go, go with a bang. 

TordelBack

Oh, and Chris Terrio? Seriously? 

Professor Bear

RLM suggest with a bit more canniness that JJA won't do the immediately obvious Palpy reveal and instead go for something nebulous about "the Emperor's essence" rather than a Force ghost or something, which I think rings true, possibly culminating in yet another Face Your Fears sequence ala Empire and TLJ.

A personal theory: some of what's in the trailer is proprietary footage shot for the trailer and isn't in the film at all.

TordelBack

Of that we can be sure.

As to 'the Emperor's essence', this concept of lingering power can be read as being present in TFA in the form of Kylo's veneration of Vader's helmet* and hunger for Anakin's lightsabre - the new-canon books and comics also emphasise a general search for relics of the dark side. But the wheeling out of the ageless McDiarmid at least suggests something more than an evil battery pack.

If there isn't a physical duel between Rey and Ben while Luke and Sheev clash in spirit form around them I'll be very surprised. In early drafts of RotJ it's Obi-Wan's forceghost that defends Luke from Palpatine, and SW never wasted a single idea or image from that early material.

*if the superlaser dish is on Endor, then Kylo may already been there to retrievecthe helmet.  However,  given JJ's complete disinterest in the distance between star systems,  my guess is it's somewhere else entirely.

JOE SOAP

Yeah, the residual haunting of relics/Death Star balloon has been inflated and floated by comics and fanlords for a while, as well as the unused ending of Revenge of the Jedi that was rewritten for good reason: apart from being naff it undercut the sense of Luke having an authentic achievement in thinking differently where the old-guard failed –it may yet undercut Rey in IX or Vader in VI– and Kenobi-ghost saving Anakin-ghost from drowning in lava a literal step too far.

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2019, 11:22:32 AMIt's beyond me how a sequel trilogy that should have moved us on, and with TLJ looked like it actually might have done that

Depending on where in the story this Emperor plot thing comes into play, whatever multiple choice option it it actually is, there's an outside possiblity it might not be anything other than another JJA red-herring. JJA probably intends to fill-in the gaps of his story with a lot more flashbacks as a consequence of his backwards approach that never fully sets-up its stall from the beginning: the establishing of which would allow ideas from the more level ground in TLJ to expand and progress rather than the story always trying to catch-up with the plot. I don't know why it had to become exclusively Skywalker, rather than just Star Wars, saga.

As to the time-travel thing, fugeddaboutit. While both the Vader comic and Rebels have claimed creative pissing-rights on that, and in a way that's not complete shite, it would be too convoluted at this late point, even for JJA, to expound upon.

Between the jigs and the reels it's funny looking back at old interviews, like one from that fella Richard Marquand on the publicity tour for Return of the Jedi talking about the Sequels in 1983.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2019, 05:09:20 PM
Oh, and Chris Terrio? Seriously? 

The combination of the WB executive and Zack Snyder is an affliction. Lucasfilm and JJA might not be much better. Hopefully it's more Argo Terrio and not Dawn of Justice Terrio.

radiator

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 July, 2019, 10:07:06 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2019, 09:52:56 PMI wish these youtubers had decent editors. I tend to shy away from anything over the twenty minute mark. The amount of videos where you think "Why would I spend 60 minutes listening to a critique of a film that's only 100 minutes long?" is staggering.
Most podcasts are the same. Quite why people feel the need to bang on for so long, I don't know. The bulk of those I've listened to could be condensed into half the time or less with some decent editing.

I feel strongly the opposite - podcasts shorter than 25 minutes to me seem almost pointless.

Professor Bear

After many years of exploitation and general underhanded fuckery on the part of Youtube, most successful creators are funded by Patreon or similar, and not by Youtube's arbitrary monetisation schemes that only make money for Youtube.  People paying the makers of the videos understandably want more content - not less - for their money.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 July, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
After many years of exploitation and general underhanded fuckery on the part of Youtube, most successful creators are funded by Patreon or similar, and not by Youtube's arbitrary monetisation schemes that only make money for Youtube.  People paying the makers of the videos understandably want more content - not less - for their money.

Robert Evans's recent Youtube takedown - How Youtube Became A Perpetual Nazi Machine - made the point that one of the reasons Youtube's algorithm prioritised Alex Jones videos was because they were three or four hours long.

Everyone thinks the algorithm's about the quick bang of getting you to click on that HOW FEMINISM DESTROYED STAR WARS thumbnail and making you watch five seconds of an ad for Wixx, but it'd much rather keep you glued to your recliner for an entire morning so it can show you 12 different (unskippable) ads every fifteen or twenty minutes.

As such, the algorithm prioritises longer videos over shorter ones, which Youtubers have noticed and responded to accordingly.