Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 25 December, 2019, 07:08:29 PM

I love this kid! He reminds me so much of me and my mates trying to batter each other with big sticks in the guise of lightsabers back in the day.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 December, 2019, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 25 December, 2019, 07:08:29 PM

I love this kid! He reminds me so much of me and my mates trying to batter each other with big sticks in the guise of lightsabers back in the day.
His life never really moved past that point alas.

shaolin_monkey

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 December, 2019, 11:08:10 AM
I'm so tired of SW guys.

But us SW guys still like you...!

Oddly my interest has seldom been higher, with both ROS and Mandalorian putting a smile on my face.

My FiL was just this minute opining "SW is over, it's had its time", which I thought was interesting - from where I'm sitting SW had had its time by the mid-80s, not clawing its way back into anything other than pure nostalgia until the later 90s, with another palpable lull in the early Teens as Clone Wars, a superior show by any measure, tailed off in popularity.  SW is doing a lot better now than in either of this periods.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I stayed with Kylie after leaving PWL and through Deconstruction and she became popular again. Same for Star Wars.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

I won't labour the point but I greatly enjoyed The Rise Of Skywalker, considerably more on the second viewing actually, and I found it a satisfying conclusion to this trilogy.

Daisy Ridley's acting was far more assured and consistent in this film and the storyline hit many effective emotional beats for me.
The movie was paced well and there weren't the lulls present in the previous two.
Sure, there were plot contrivances, but the entire saga has suffered from those, so it's unfair to level that criticism at this film alone.
Also the film benefited from real emotional heft, something the prequels almost totally lacked-that coupled with the tying up of most of the plot threads, makes it something of a minor triumph for me.
Another fantastic John Williams score too!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 26 December, 2019, 09:19:28 PM
Another fantastic John Williams score too!

The last John Williams score (for Star Wars, at any rate).

Richard

That whole film was just utter nonsense. I can't even be bothered to list everything that was wrong with it, but the internet is full of reviews that explain why it was awful and I agree with them all. The film studio must hold all the fans in total contempt -- in fact, maybe this is their revenge for the barrage of criticism they got for Episode 8? (I quite liked that one.) Now that I think about it, it's the only credible explanation for how bad this film is -- Hollywood is trolling the entire world in reprisal. Viewed like that, I now think that this film is actually brilliant.

TordelBack

Well if the internet says it's awful, it must be true. Those guys are never wrong.

Meanwhile those of us who enjoy these films, despite their flaws, are clearly morons.

broodblik

I do not give a damn what the internet thinks about anything. You get some vocal people on the internet and now suddenly they are the view of everyone.  The voices on the internet in most cases are the minority. I enjoyed the latest episode, so I am glad to be a moron. Does it now even out if I did not like the previous episode.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

You are someone on the internet!

TordelBack

Nah, I'm on the sofa. The internet is uncomfortable.

IndigoPrime

I watched it yesterday with Mrs IP. And to bring some balance to the Force-rum – er, forum – I thought it was fun. Also, I prefer this trilogy to the original. Come at me with pitchforks. I don't care. The first three are tighter but also messy in some major beats. They are men men menny men men + Smurfette. I just found these new ones interesting and fun, with a decent lack of really irritating major protagonists (the Ewoks can get to drokk), and it was nice that in the few decades since the original films that women were allowed to exist. So my take is:

I–III: irredeemable boring crap
IV–VI: fun but dated fantasy bobbins
VII–IX: fun but messy fantasy bobbins
Rogue One: fab but entirely unnecessary filler
Solo: it's just there

I thought it stuck the landing. It worked for me. Perhaps it helps that Star Wars for me is just another property I grew up with. I'm not really invested in this to the degree some of you obviously are. But where as, for me, I–III were entirely unnecessary and detracted from the original, these new three at worst came out even.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2019, 10:53:38 AM
Nah, I'm on the sofa. The internet is uncomfortable.

Ha! You however do win the internet - again.