Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 December, 2019, 11:13:31 AM
Perhaps it helps that Star Wars for me is just another property I grew up with. I'm not really invested in this to the degree some of you obviously are.

Forgive me, but may I direct you to this two-hour YouTube video I've made which explains how VERY WRONG YOU ARE...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Ha! Quite. TBH, it perhaps helps that Mrs IP and I both went into this film thinking we'd come out thinking meh. But we both found it very enjoyable – certainly, far more than most of the recent Marvel movies. (I liked Ragnarok and the first Spidey one; Mrs G would add Black Panther to that list.)

But then I'm also quite happy to do an Alan Moore ("the books are still on the shelves") or just end a series in my mind wherever I like (such as there being no Matrix or Jurassic Park sequels). I'm glad I didn't have to do that with this film, mind. Enjoyment beats dissatisfaction any day.

I, Cosh

Enjoyed it while I was watching it but it didn't make an ounce of sense.

We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 December, 2019, 05:21:22 PM

The all-purpose Abrams review!

TordelBack

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 28 December, 2019, 06:28:44 PM
You mean she had [spoiler]Chewie's medal[/spoiler] the whole time?
😂

You do have to wonder[spoiler] about the cruelty inherent in leaving him undecorated for 35 years[/spoiler] when all that was needed was a stepladder! 

I know it wasn't the intent, but I choose to believe that [spoiler]this was Han's medal[/spoiler], that she was passing on.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2019, 07:07:08 PMI know it wasn't the intent, but I choose to believe that [spoiler]this was Han's medal[/spoiler], that she was passing on.

It was, wasn't it?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2019, 07:07:08 PM
You do have to wonder[spoiler] about the cruelty inherent in leaving him undecorated for 35 years[/spoiler] when all that was needed was a stepladder!

Or a table.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 December, 2019, 07:27:39 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2019, 07:07:08 PMI know it wasn't the intent, but I choose to believe that [spoiler]this was Han's medal[/spoiler], that she was passing on.

It was, wasn't it?

Reckon, based on [spoiler]her gripping of it earlier (a symbol of Han doing the right thing, and coming back to her) but in the end it was played as if Chewie was finally getting his[/spoiler].

Nice bit of old Marvel there!

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2019, 05:39:53 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 December, 2019, 05:21:22 PM

The all-purpose Abrams review!

I'd say that Rise of Skywalker is to The Force Awakens what Into Darkness is to Star Trek 2009 - the first movie is decently entertaining but has some really glaring plot weirdness that diminishes rewatchability, whereas the follow-up film is entirely too plot-heavy while having very little actual story, and also just completely drops any semblance of verisimilitude and is borderline gibberish.

I still like aspects of both of the first movies, but I'll likely never watch either of their (Abrams-directed) sequels again.

Hawkmumbler

[spoiler]Here's the thing. Palpatine created Anakin by manipulating force energy in Smee Skywalker, right? Like thats pretty much confirmed in Episode III. And as Ben Solo's Grandfather, and Rey's half sister, isn't the whole Kylo Ren and Rey thing....

God fucking damn it Star Wars.[/spoiler]

dweezil2

Quote from: sheridan on 26 December, 2019, 10:39:10 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 26 December, 2019, 09:19:28 PM
Another fantastic John Williams score too!

The last John Williams score (for Star Wars, at any rate).

Yeah, read that too!

Must be hard to come up with anything fresh on the composition front and nine films is a pretty good run, so I reckon he's more than earnt his retirement from the franchise!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Magnetica

Saw it last night. I went in remembering all fuss made about the plot holes in TFA and goodness me there were a lot in this one as well. Too many to list I'm sure, so here are just the ones that come most easily to mind:

So Anakin programmed 3PO to not translate Sith - really?
They just happen to find the dagger - with out even really bothering to look for it.
How come Rey has way more force powers than any other Jedi before? Not even Yoda could bring down a transport ship.
When our heroes arrive on the planet looking for the Wayfinder a load of Tie Fighter buzz the festival, but they are nowhere to be seen when the First Order are pursuing them.
Palpatine must have some serious project management skills to have built all those ships, recruited and trained all the crews.
Where are all the other First Order ships?
How come the Star Destroyer guns can't shoot a boarding party on their hull?
How come the Star Destroyer can't just do a manoeuvre to shake them off?
How come the falling Star Destroyer over Jakku happens to fall right next the one that was there already?

I know some of these things don't really matter, but still.

I also thought the film lacked any emotional resonance and a load of so called surprises where completely telegraphed or just obvious:
Leia's death
Hux shooting those Storm Troopers
Chewie not being dead.

It also felt like it wasn't the completion of a trilogy, rather a new story. It was as if TLJ hadn't  happened, apart from Luke being dead. And the return of Palpatine seemed to be plucked out of nowhere.

My boy though loved it and he's nine. And we forget Star Wars is intended for kids.

TordelBack

I can't make you enjoy the movie, but I can help with a few of these - but by no means all! Bear in mind I have only seen the film once so far, and haven't read any of the supporting material so I'm probably talking a fair amount of shite...

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 January, 2020, 12:55:26 PM
So Anakin programmed 3PO to not translate Sith - really?

[spoiler]Anakin didn't programme Threepio - he says he built him out of scavenged parts. The brain/databank was already intact.  Note that Threepio retains these in-built abilities both times his memory is wiped. Even the Chosen One isn't fluent in 6 million (plus 1) forms of communication.[/spoiler]

QuoteThey just happen to find the dagger - with out even really bothering to look for it.

[spoiler]Sort-of, but they are on the same trail as the agent that had it, so it's not totally random. The dagger is basically stupid, an element held over from a Sith-artefact subplot that ran through the books and comics but never really got a foothold in the actual bloody movies.[/spoiler]

QuoteHow come Rey has way more force powers than any other Jedi before? Not even Yoda could bring down a transport ship.

[spoiler]Rey's an exceptional being, one of only two individuals of such raw power that Luke has encountered, both of whom form one half of a unique Force Dyad that have Anakin and Palpatine as grandparents, and potentially their ancestors were created through Midichlorian manipulation techniques of Darth Plagueis. 'Darkness rises, and the Light to meet it".

And who says Yoda couldn't bring down a transport? He does exactly that in the non-canonical Tartakovsky Clone Wars, and canonically Size Matters Not.[/spoiler]

QuotePalpatine must have some serious project management skills to have built all those ships, recruited and trained all the crews

[spoiler]He did it once before, even while double-jobbing as Chancellor! While Obi-Wan sniffed out his cloning sub-contractors, he also got a fleet of Star Destroyers, transports and fighters built for them at a time when the Republic was demilitarised. It's a plot point that the Sith fleet is largely crewed by clones, and even so badly undermanned requiring the increased conscription efforts we see referenced[/spoiler].

QuoteWhere are all the other First Order ships?

[spoiler]Feck knows. That bit really annoys me - after defeating the 'Final Order' Sith fleet, the First Order presumably remains largely intact. I presume the intention is that Hope has returned to the galaxy, and the People overthrow them. But that bit is completely undeveloped, and it annoys me, since it's the whole point of both TLJ and TROS.
[/spoiler]
QuoteHow come the falling Star Destroyer over Jakku happens to fall right next the one that was there already?

[spoiler]Jakku is covered in crashed destroyers. We see are least 3 in TFA, and that's just in Rey's corner of it. I won't annoy you by citing other media, but canonically Jakku is the site of the Empire's final defeat  (albeit actually a ruse).

[/spoiler]
And the return of Palpatine seemed to be plucked out of nowhere.

[spoiler]The annoying thing is that it's reasonably well foreshadowed in TFA in the way Kylo apparently hears Vader talking to him, which we know can't be true since Ani was redeemed: it always seemed likely that it was Palp's spirit doing that. The problem was that this was never developed in TLJ, and then Palp's actual return took place in a Fortnite event. That my friends is bullshit.[/spoiler]

Magnetica

Thanks Tordels- great answers.

I don't read any of the books or comics and haven't watched anything other than the movies that have been in the cinema, so anything outside of that is a mystery to me.