Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Ouch, sorry to hear that, Sip.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2018, 09:10:47 AMImagine if the second post of every thread on here claimed Matt Smith was worse than Hitler,  every story since Rebellion took over was shit, the inclusion of Judges Anderson and Giant was a liberal feminazi conspiracy to destroy the white race and we should boycott the comic until Steve McManus comes back

This sounds a bit familiar - wasn't there some kind of rant at Andy Diggle for putting Muslims in a story as  protagonists instead of suicidal terrorists or something, back in the early 2000s?  I also recall being a bit dubious about the prospect of Rebellion taking over the book around the time one of the comics was doing a game tie-in of some description.
Anyway, this kind of stuff is part and parcel of unfiltered fandom, it's just that negative publicity can be - and is - monetised now.  Algorithms will always point you towards something meant to prompt engagement, so not to pass the buck or anything, but it's down to us to be more critical and not reward trolling and clickbait.  Installing extensions like Ghostler or Privacy Badger also help a little in defunding clickfarms.

SIP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 September, 2018, 02:38:16 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that, Sip.

Never mind, such is life! Worse things happen at sea etc etc :)  though I could have done without it in my drawing hand!

He's definitely having trouble with his legs I think....he looks a little awkward in blade runner at times, but for 76.....the old guy seems to be holding up well!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 29 September, 2018, 03:28:47 PMHe's definitely having trouble with his legs I think....

A Millenium Falcon door would cripple lesser men.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 September, 2018, 02:57:20 PMI also recall being a bit dubious about the prospect of Rebellion taking over the book around the time one of the comics was doing a game tie-in of some description.

Testify!  But boys oh boys were we wrong about that one - and the only tie-in of recent years I'd happily see turned into a regular strip.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2018, 03:35:47 PM
Quote from: SIP on 29 September, 2018, 03:28:47 PMHe's definitely having trouble with his legs I think....

A Millenium Falcon door would cripple lesser men.

Excellent point! And so would a plane crash.....

Krakajac

Sean Connery's age and academic personality/character worked well in The Last Crusade.  No reason why Ford can't do the 'older bloke' routine as well...perhaps with slightly more emphasis on using brains rather than brawn?  Certainly - include elements of physicality and punch-ups where possible - it's always great to see a guy of Ford's age/health doing his thing!

Case in point about using brains - the ending of KOTCS was woeful.  Indy essentially telling everyone, "let's get out of here".  Cue running out of temple as it collapses.  End.  In the next movie would like to see Indy actually using his knowledge of archaeology to save the day (see ROTLA and TLC - closing of eyes, solving of Grail puzzles, etc.).

Next movie really needs to be 100% stand-alone.  No reprising characters, no family story arcs.  No Easter eggs and minimal fanboy nods/winks to the audience.  See Temple of Doom - much maligned in the old days - but my clear favourite of all four Indy movies.  The opening musical number/fight, Short Round, the 'spike sequence', REAL rope-bridge shenanigans, Indy being zombified - and coming 'back to life' at the last moment - real emotion between SR and Indy.  Awesome stuff.  It had the 'freshness' of something like the 'Flash Gordon' movie.  Would be great if Spielberg/Lucas can look outside the box for the next movie...

SIP

I love Temple Of Doom. My relationship with it is much like my relationship with Return of the Jedi.....I can appreciate that Empire is the better film, but I'm more attached to Jedi. I appreciate Raiders is the better film.....but I have a real attachment to Temple of Doom. I've never understood why people rate is so harshly, it's non stop fun.

TordelBack

'Course Connery was 57 when he made Last Crusade, and Ford is 76... But I take the point! 

Not sure running away from a collapsing Akator is much less archaeological than running away from a collapsing Canyon of the Crescent Moon,  or indeed racing a mine carriage out of the mines of Pankot Palace to be rescued by the British army, and his insight at the climax of Raiders seems rather more Sunday School than Kathleen Kenyon (not to imply it isn't the perfect end to a perfect film) . Despite this, I think our hopes for Indy V are broadly similar!

SIP

I guess it all depends on whether Disney has long term plans for the character. If they are looking to kick off a new series of action adventure films, then "old man thinks" might not be what they are after. I would be more than happy with it (in fact in film prospects, this is what I'm looking forward to most of any future films), but they may want to shoot for a new generation of fans, much like their approach to Star Wars.

Fingers are crossed that the old man thinks film happens first.

Bolt-01

Thinking off the top of my head and I only saw the Crystal skull fillum once on a plane but...

Wasn't 'that' potentially a set-up for moving forward with (#actualcannibal) Shia TheBeef moving into the action role for Harrison?

Of course, if the studio 'had' planned that then they have waited a long time to follow-up on it.

IndigoPrime

Was Crystal Skull the one with the fridge? If so, I also saw some of it on a plane. I may have stopped watching at that bit.

radiator

Quote from: SIP on 01 October, 2018, 08:49:40 AM
I love Temple Of Doom. My relationship with it is much like my relationship with Return of the Jedi.....I can appreciate that Empire is the better film, but I'm more attached to Jedi. I appreciate Raiders is the better film.....but I have a real attachment to Temple of Doom. I've never understood why people rate is so harshly, it's non stop fun.

I'm in the same boat re: Temple of Doom. I know Raiders is objectively a better film, but ToD is the one we grew up with on video (taped off TV, obvs*) so it's the one I'll always have the most affection for. Agree that people are way too harsh on it - Last Crusade is far sillier, especially at the end.

*Edited for TV. I think I must have been in my late teens before I saw an uncut version, and was genuinely shocked to see actual hearts being ripped out, though it did make a lot more sense in retrospect - until then I could never figure out why all the characters were so scared of Mola Ram scratching their chests with his fingernails.

James Stacey

Professor Bear

Artificially maximising the visibility of negative comments from social regressives is something that has been provably shown to be a marketing tactic by Western media companies, and it's far more likely that Disney hired troll farms themselves in order to get the online left - predominantly young and active on social media - to deliberately adopt a stance in defence of Disney's product.

But yeah, sure: Vladimir Putin is undermining NATO by planting bad reviews of a film about gay space robots - that sounds much more plausible.