Main Menu

New Poll: Is Firekind really a "forgotten classic"?

Started by 2000AD Online, 28 February, 2005, 06:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Kon

It says number 7 in the front of the EE

Tordelbach

Always loved Firekind, not least for being Tooth's closest approach to a Le Guin SF anthropology story (as we've discussed here before swap "Ekumen" for "Axis" and you're nearly there, name parallels between Smith's festival 'Gethemen' and the name of the similarly confusingly-gendered Le Guin world 'Gethen', and parallels between the name of the LeGuin character 'Genly Ai' and Smith's world  suggest Smiffy was well aware of "Left Hand of Darkness" at the very least - this is of course No Bad Thing), but mainly I love it for the sustained attempt both the artist and writer make at depicting a coherent alien world.

Indeed, it is "no Halo Jones", but then what is?  So, my vote is that it IS a "lost classic", and I greatly appreciated the reprint.

Dan Kelly

It may be a coherent world, but there is an issue with the filter masks in the 2nd half of the story - see the other Firekind thread for more details...

Dan

Trout

Tordelbach - I was certainly glad of the reprint as a chance to read Firekind for the first time.

WoD

top story that I enjoyed this time around as much as I did then.  Though I'm actually quite shocked with some of the violent images and surprised it got to print as it did.

I think classic.

Bad Andy

Interesting enough - but I ceratinly wouldn't buy a GN of it. I actually bailed out from tooth during its run so it certainly reads better as a whole than periodically.

House of Usher

*tsk* - darn journslists and their leading questions!

Classic, yes, forgotten - no! Otherwise how would we all know so much about it? I remember it being the best thing in the comic when it appeared. Okay, I'll admit that's not saying much, but its reprint was definirely overdue.
STRIKE !!!

thrillpowerseeker

I loved this first time round and I think its just as good now as it was then..

I'd love a glossy page gn as well..

gorgeous stuff

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Max Kon

the only way to switch itallics off is no reply to this message and i've removed the tags.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Max Kon

see, no italics. I removed the <i> tags from the titles

Dan Kelly

There's a bug where the "italics off" tag in the title has been cut out by the elipsis in the previous message list.

The only way to avoif it is to add a load of "italics off" tags at the top of your message.

Dan

Bad Andy

Lord Running Clam

I really injoyed Firekind,it has a different feel to pretty much anything else I've read in 2000ad so far and wouldn't mind more stories like it.
The only I disliked was after the set-up which took you into the world,brillently the story came to head far to quickly.