Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeFuzzed

Swallows and Amazons (1974)

Kid's adventure on the river movie, actually quite good fun with camping and pirates and walking the plank. It had those kid voices you find in older movies, you know, the ones which sound like grown-ups putting on a high voice and voila kid voice. So annoying. But, despite this pet hate, good nostalgia piece.

And all I could think about was 'not in this day and age' - I mean, look, not a life-jacket in sight! And no adults. Kids alone, on a boat, camping on an island at night, fishing and cooking it over a fire.

We've gotten so afraid and it's a shame, but at the same time I can't help cringing at the thought of my kids doing all that.

Mardroid

I'm not sure I've ever seen that, but I remember reading a couple of the books, which were pretty good.

TordelBack

Love the film and the book(s), but agree about the voices grating.  And I still find it hard not to giggle at the name 'Titty'.  Implausibly my father reports exactly the same shenanigans as a slightly-older kid in the 50's, taking sailing dinghies out into Dublin Bay and camping on islands, all life-jacket free - and he can't swim. 

As the safety officer of a local sailing group myself, I can report that life-jackets are a damn good idea for anyone.  The survival statistics are pretty convincing.  But I wouldn't be adverse to my kids doing the rest.

vzzbux

Watched 'Let Me In' yesterday. nice take on Vampirism. Thumbs up here.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mardroid

That's one I haven't seen. I've seen the Swedish original Let the Right One In though, and I really enjoyed that. I read the book after, and while I liked it (and it did have more material as you'd expect) I think I prefer the film. That's unusual, as it's usually the other way round.

vzzbux

The only problem with Let me in is that I guessed the outcome from the off.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2012, 05:05:34 PM
I can report that life-jackets are a damn good idea for anyone.  The survival statistics are pretty convincing.  But I wouldn't be adverse to my kids doing the rest.

Absolutely to both. You want them to have adventure, safely, but balancing it is so tricky. I remember running over rooftops and jumping off to trees and then jumping down to the compost heap below and that was only one little thing I used to do - but now, will I let the kids do that? Hell no! Being a grown-up is so hard.

Let the Right One In - I saw that when I heard the director was going to do Tinker, and I have to say, I wasn't all that impressed. There was that stillness and silence thing - but that's really not new in northern European entertainment, is it? Their films/TV offerings are practically drowning in slow, silent, detached melodrama. Cold, washed out colours too - to, you know, belabour the point even more.

You'd think I didn't enjoy the movie but I did. I just didn't see why the hype and accolades. It was a different spin on the vamp flick, a serious spin, and something new, so I enjoyed seeing that. But that's all I got from it.

brendan1

Watched the Fincher remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Oddly, I fell asleep at one point and woke up with Craig's character chained up by the bad guy, so I missed a chunk and then fell asleep again before the end.

Annoyingly - and rather strangely - this sleep pattern was repeated almost exactly when I watched the original, so I have no idea what happens at the end.

Mardroid

Quote from: brendan1 on 14 May, 2012, 10:27:10 AM
Watched the Fincher remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

I've got a series of the original three films on loan from a friend. I haven't gotten round to watching them yet... maybe I should.

They're actually pirated copies she got from another friend. I have issues with watching pirated stuff. On the other hadn't I don't like to say 'no' when friends loan me things. Worried it might seem like I'm disinterested in their, um, interests. (It's a good thing trying not to offend people but I think I worry about it too much sometimes.)

Tiplodocus

ALIENS Special Edition with Tiny Tips.

I thought this was a 15 (not an 18) so my thinking was that a 25 year old 15 rated movie would be OK to watch with a 12 year old.

He loved it.  Particularly impressed by the fact you don't see an ALIEN for the first hour and he loved all the suspense and tension and the action scenes.  He also started listing similarities with AVATAR once he knew it was the same chap.

And I really enjoyed it too - something good about watching it with a fresh pair of eyes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

El Chivo

The Thing prequel thing
Pretty poor, fell asleep & missed a big  chunk in the middle, altho could have something to do with the time i started watching it & the booze consumed before. Did the same with Troll Hunter the difference being i will go back & watch the bit i missed in that

Chi

Spikes

All the Presidents Men.
One of my all time faves. Always best to watch this Paranoid political thriller late at night and with the lights out.
Shame [spoiler]Mark Felt[/spoiler] had to go and reveal himself as being Deep Throat, and take some of the mystery out of it.  ;)

Beaky Smoochies

Mark Felt, thought it was Hal Holbrook :D...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

DeFuzzed

Sherlock Holmes 2: Game of Shadows

What absolute kak. You hate Bale's Batman voice? Listen to RDJ's Sherlock voice and thank your lucky stars you have Bale. Bloody hell. There was nothing good in this movie, nobody and nothing. At all. It blows my mind this wasn't a flop, but then again, people seem to enjoy RDJ beyond all comprehension.

Please tell me there's no third on the way. Such a waste of money hurts my soul.

I had to stop watching mid-film, it really just needed to stop. But I went back and saw the rest because maybe it got better? Wishful thinking. Oh so wishful.

It suffers so badly, so so badly, in comparison to BBC's Sherlock.

Dandontdare

yes but did you like it?  :D

I picked up a DVD of the stage version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This was was one of the first albums I bought when I was about 12, and I still love it. I've always wanted to see the stage show but have never been able to find anyone willing to pay the high ticket price to go with me, so when I saw this cheap DVD I had to have it.

Hmmm. It's not exactly bad, but replacing the late great Phil Lynott (not a technically great voice but bagloads of charisma and craziness) with Russell Watson (great operatic voice, as much charisma as a plank of wood) was a very bad decision!