Main Menu

Corto Maltese: Under The Sign of Capricorn – spoiler light (3 preview pages incl

Started by Bat King, 23 December, 2014, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 April, 2016, 08:57:26 PM
Good find, where did you spot them?

I really like the covers and think the whole design and production of the books as been pretty much spot on. Just started Celtic Tales... more later.

I was googling Corto Maltese for a friend (in hopes of getting him into reading the book), and those popped up.

Having said "strange", I still kind of like them. They have a certain charm to them. And as for the production with the big sized art, great translation, articles, maps and stuff... It's a pleasure owning these books :)

Colin YNWA

Well read Celtic Tales - Corto Maltese books always get a cheeky pass on my to read list and what a glorious cocktail it is. Its a beautiful thing on every level, that's a given BUT it also possibly has my favourite Corto tale to date. "Under the Flag of Gold" is a simply fantastic tale, the best of the best. Its use of human greed to expose the madness of war and nationalism is just sublime. It has my second favourite story to date "Cotes de Nuits and Picardy Roses" has a tone and atmosphere like nothing else I've read. It crams so much character and characterisation in so little space you'd think John Wagner had written it. Its an absolute masterclass.

While a couple of the other stories don't live up to these lofty highs and sometimes the duplicitous femme Fatale shtick wears a little thin at times (and since I'm such a big fan of The Spirit I'm not quite sure why I say that!) its always engaging. Its always fascinating and more often than not I marvel at how much more I think I should be getting from it and suspect subsequent readings will give me.

This books are just wonderful things.

I, Cosh

Snapped up The Ethiopian this afternoon. Which reminded I'd planned to stick some thoughts down here after the last volume. I'd been enjoying it in patches up to that point but Celtic Tales had a lot of really interesting aspects that all came together.

Think I'll try to do a full catch-up along with this one.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Only two weeks until In Siberia lands and I see Amazon have the next volume, Fable of Venice, listed for July.

Really looking forward to this one. Maybe I'll even manage that reread I mentioned up there as preparation.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Timothy

In Siberia is quite a different beast from the short stories we have had so far. There are double-crosses galore, some tense action and, of course, lashings of romance. I think it might be my favourite of the series so far (although Celtic tales was a beauty too).

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to reading this (well of course given that it takes two years for things to normally get to the top of my list it got quite the short cut) and by George its a fascinating beast.

This is a graphic novel in its truist sense, as opposed to a collection of inter-related shorts as previous volumes have been, yet strangely on one level this doesn't make that much difference. The themes and ideas are familar and the story is still presented in short chunks. Corto still drifts through the tale meeting numerous fascinating characters. Motives are often oblique and enigmatic. Greed seems to be the underlying motive to violence. Yet here we get an interesting insight into the political and personal greed that drives the characters. Gold is the aim, but not an end in itself.

Look its late, I'm tired you don't need me to tell you anymore. After reading this I'm still processing and trying to reflect on the glory I have digested. If you don't buy these overpriced yet beautiful products you not only hate yourself but all the lovely kittens and puppies the world blesses us with.

Don't hate yourself

Don't hate kittens

Don't hate puppies

Do buy this.

There sorted that for you then huh.

I, Cosh

Quote from: I, Cosh on 03 March, 2017, 12:59:23 PMI see Amazon have the next volume, Fable of Venice, listed for July.
So, Amazon told me last month this was being delayed until August and now it has disappeared completely from the UK site. Hope all is well. Particularly galling when I saw the new German version of this one in the local comic shop at the start of the week. They get better extras too.

Edited to add: Okay, just found this post on the IDW site, so I guess everything's in hand.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

That link just goes to show how great these new editions are though!

Apestrife

The comic book shop who's getting me these says it should be out in the end of August. Hope its so. Love these.

And I agree. That comparison idw posted is amazing :P

Timothy

Well Fable of Venice is finally out. It's the shortest book so far - and there are some big exposition dumps in places - but it's also the rollicking adventure we have come to expect. I was amused that the Masons in the book reminded me very much of the secret criminal gang in The Blue Lotus.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Timothy on 27 September, 2017, 10:53:16 PM
Well Fable of Venice is finally out.
That's interesting. Amazon cancelled my order a few weeks ago and it looks like they still don't have it on sale direct.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I got my dispatch notice yesterday from Wordery so with any luck it will land soon.

I, Cosh

Finally got my copy on Friday morning but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

While we're waiting for the next volume, I see IDW have The Man from the Great North listed to fill the gap. Never heard of it before but sounds pretty interesting.
We never really die.