Main Menu

thinking that it's about time i gave up smoking

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 19 December, 2001, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

nicolas cage as john constantine? talk about suspension of disbelief...

let's all be thankful for rebellion's firm grasp on the editorial reigns for shoreline's dredd films.

steveene lenfant terrible

Link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=2" target="_blank">comics2film

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

paulvonscott

Nicholas Cage is quite alright in his place, and that place ain't inside an Englishman's Raincoat.

But to be honest he is still a better choice than Stallone was for Dredd.  Till that film, I never knew that Dredd had severe learning difficulties.

Whoever they choose for Dredd, I'm willing to overlook the fact that it must be an almost impossible task to cast the Dredd we all think we know.  I think that bloke who played Wolverine in the X-Men would be good.  he reminded me of a youn Clint Eastwood.

Thread Zero

I think the best actor to play Dredd would be an unknown.

Someone you don't associate with a previous role.

Just an idea.

Otherwise, what is Hulk Hogan up to these days!:O)

scojo

nemesis

Hes a bit old now but i always thought Clint Eastwood would make the perfect Dredd- hes got the jaw line and would have a convincing bad attitude.

paulvonscott

I think money spent on a movie could be better spent on an animated series like the Batman, which beat the tarnation out of all those rubbish Batman movies (millions of pounds wasted on movies that ranged from mediocre to complete rubbish).  You could then have a Dredd that looked like Dredd and get someone with the voice like, even if not actually belonging to, Clint Eastwood.

Someone give Paul Dini at Warner Brothers a call.

paulvonscott

p.s  Just think how many new (and young) readers you could suck in with something like that!

JamieB

Well, possibly, but it hasn't really worked for either Batman, Superman, or the JLA, whose toons are all now showing on Cartoon Network.

Ditto movies, really - neither Bats, the X-Men or any of the other filmed superheroes / comic characters (with the single exception of Ghost World) experienced much more than a blip the months after their respective movies opened.

*J*

paulvonscott

Well, the Warner things are all superhero stories.  I'm not sure how much appeal they have to british youngsters.  Although a lot of batman merchandise WAS sold that related to the Cartoon Series, this may not have reached through to comics.  

Dredd originally was a strip for kids, if they kept the humour in, I think it could catch on.  The problem is if they came to the comic their parents may dissaprove of an overly violent, sweary comic book with tits and arses in it.  And unless you are fourteen+ I can't imagine the contents would be that thrilling.

I havn't seen superman or JLA.  I'm not a big superhero fan but I loved the Batman series.  Perhaps if the movies are succesful we could get an animated series of a similar calibre.  I think a live action series wouldn't be a very good idea.  Too expensive and probably wouldn't work.

I will of course see anything that comes out, but I had a dream about the animate Dredd series over ten years ago, so I'm hoping it will come to pass.

JamieB

Have you had a look at www.coolbeansworld.com ?

Kinda interesting 3D-animated things going on there, Marshal Law especially gives a flabour of what a Dredd series *could* be like...

*J*

JamieB

paulvonscott

Wow, major goose pimple attack.  That was great!  The firing gun bit was a bit boring but the sheer excitement and menace as you see him coming towards you was fantastic.  I may have to subscribe to that when I have some money.

I don't really like computer games but I sometimes do watch the intro' on friends machines as the movie bits are sometimes really good.

I thought Final Fantasy was a wasted opportunity but a very good example of what could be done with computer animation.

I wouldn't worry about the spelling, I correct most of my typo's just to make it readable but a few always get through.

Anyway thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye on that!

O Lucky Stevie!

don't disney own the option to an animated dredd series?

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Thread Zero

Well they did own the rights to Dredd the movie (I think) but I guess the rights went back to Rebellion as they are planning to make 2 Dredd films.

It would appear thay have complete control of Dredd. That would include the rights to any future animated series.

This is just an educated guess on my part.

scojo

McNulty

Well, as long as Dredd: the Animated Series doesn't turn out like that watered down Robocop animation.