Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 July, 2019, 02:41:28 PM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 July, 2019, 09:54:08 PM
Sorry...absolutely sod all really.  Well, except he was a member here for some time....  Apologies, just venting.

No apologies needed Ghost, I remember there was talk at some Cons a few years ago...
Lords, it's Michael Towers of Anime League notoriety all over again. Fucking predatory parasites are everywhere.

zombemybabynow

last movie watched thread:-

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 July, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
Midsommar

I preferred Hereditary but this was something rather different, and I rather enjoyed it. Even if loads of people in the cinema with me got bored (2 people left, other people on their phones,  bad crowd all round)

motherf@@@@rs - it's got to be killing the cinema by a pertentage ?
it's the reason i watch stuff at home instead
[ok, as well as getting older and needed a wee more often!]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 12 July, 2019, 05:52:18 PM

I hope you can see the irony of what you've said here 😉
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

zombemybabynow

Not really.
QuoteI hope you can see the irony of what you've said here
Do you mean I should confront said individuals - otherwise I am being hoisted by my own petard ?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 13 July, 2019, 01:20:31 PM
Not really.
QuoteI hope you can see the irony of what you've said here
Do you mean I should confront said individuals - otherwise I am being hoisted by my own petard ?

Sorry, I was a few beers and sangrias* up when I posted that. I was talking about you talking about people killing cinema, while simultaneously not going to the cinema.  Never meant to be serious.

*I'm in Madrid
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

[ok, as well as getting older and needed a wee more often!]
[/quote]

I had just such an encounter a couple of days ago in the cinema, when watching a screening of "The Cure - Anniversary 1978-2018 Live in Hyde Park".

Got myself a seat right up at the front, having made sure to get to the cinema in plenty of time. Six women walk in a few minutes before the movie is about to start. They sit right down behind me.

And they promptly begin to talk among themselves.

Not just when the adverts are on, or the trailers are being shown - with which I have no problem - but when the movie itself starts.

And for the first five minutes of the concert.

And for the next five minutes after that - an experience which is briefly interrupted, by the late appearance of three young ladies who proceed to occupy the three seats to my left.

And who also proceed to talk among themselves.

And talk.

And talk.

And for the next five minutes I am all but surrounded by this most unwelcome version of a Greek Chorus. Despite the music soundtrack being pumped out at a high volume, I cannot help but be aware of the yakking and chattering behind and beside me. It's like there's a swarm of bees droning on in the background.

My patience finally gives out, thanks to the intermittent glare from the mobile phone of the young lady beside me. The poor thing obviously missed the Turn-Your-Phone-Off-In-The-Cinema message for like, most of her life?

As luck would have it, I spot a lone empty seat on the other side of the cinema and move to there instead. I can still hear two of the women talking but they are distant enough now as to be barely heard. I did still enjoy the concert itself but my experience of it was definitely marred by what happened.

I wouldn't mind, but I gave up going to outdoor concerts anymore precisely because of this kind of bullshit.

Mardroid

People who burn stuff during the day when you're planning (or have already) hanging washing out.

Is it too much to wait until the evening at least? I understand Sunset might not be viable during the long Summer days as you might not want to supervise a fire that late, but leave it until after 6 at least..

Thankfully, I'm not in desperate need of a change of clothes for next couple of days, but I might have been.
On the plus side, I feel really relieved that the waft of chemical smoke isn't the electrics from the relatively new washing machine that's gently whirring away.*

* Washing machines have come a long way, haven't they? Do you remember when they would loudly walk around the kitchen?

paddykafka

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2019, 01:31:08 PM

* Washing machines have come a long way, haven't they? Do you remember when they would loudly walk around the kitchen?

They were called Wives.  :lol:

Link Prime

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2019, 01:31:08 PM
People who burn stuff during the day when you're planning (or have already) hanging washing out.

A new Gear Grinder for me.
They literally light the hills on fire round these parts.

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 July, 2019, 01:57:17 PM
*I'm in Madrid

I've heard of some mad sea journeys undertaken by riverboats, but Madrid is a new one!

JayzusB.Christ

S
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2019, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 July, 2019, 01:57:17 PM
*I'm in Madrid

I've heard of some mad sea journeys undertaken by riverboats, but Madrid is a new one!

Cloud curragh.

Hawkmumbler

Doesn't so much grind my gears as baffles me. The many 2000AF "fan" Facebook groups. They mostly seem to be populated by the same three dozen former readers who haven't read a prog in 20+ years, remember what they did read poorly, and yet claim to know the prog better than those who currently read and write for it.

A strange frog pond effect indeed.

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 July, 2019, 06:27:49 PM
Doesn't so much grind my gears as baffles me. The many 2000AF "fan" Facebook groups. They mostly seem to be populated by the same three dozen former readers who haven't read a prog in 20+ years, remember what they did read poorly, and yet claim to know the prog better than those who currently read and write for it.

A strange frog pond effect indeed.

I've seen some of them - the thing that gets me is that some don't even know the prog is still going (and has never stopped, apart from that strike in 1984).

Tiplodocus

"It's lovely weather, why aren't you outside?"

Because it's full of insects and I like doing things like watching movies and playing video games which are a bit shit in bright sunlight.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 July, 2019, 11:16:41 PM
"It's lovely weather, why aren't you outside?"

Because it's full of insects and I like doing things like watching movies and playing video games which are a bit shit in bright sunlight.

I think I just fell in love with Tiplodocus.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++