Main Menu

Top 3 single episode Dredds

Started by Le Fink, 07 February, 2024, 10:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Le Fink on 09 February, 2024, 10:30:21 AMBlobs has definitely stayed with me. I can picture the Ron Smith art. Crazed brilliance.

Indeed. Horrible, haunting eyes.

JayzusB.Christ

Man, Ron Smith was just brilliant, wasn't he? No one drew ugly or just normal-looking cits like him. The latter always had an oddly 1950s look about them, but somehow looked at home in the mad surroundings of MC1. 

His Daily Star Dredds were some of my favourite Dredds ever, but don't quite belong in this thread.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Le Fink

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2024, 12:17:18 PMMan, Ron Smith was just brilliant, wasn't he?
Yes. And great storytelling skills. Underrated I think.

Richard

His version of Mega-City One is the best!

PsychoGoatee

I showed a friend two Dredd stories lately, and they became a fan, read America and Necropolis etc.

The two tales: A Letter to Judge Dredd and Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart, definitely seconding that.

Punks Rule is another classic. I like Vienna. Judge Minty of course, seconded.

John Cassavetes Is Dead is an interesting one. Of course I'm tempted to cheat with a bunch of two episode stories (similar length to a Meg episode), but I'll resist.

WhizzBang

Quote from: Le Fink on 09 February, 2024, 08:26:11 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2024, 12:17:18 PMMan, Ron Smith was just brilliant, wasn't he?
Yes. And great storytelling skills. Underrated I think.

He was certainly underrated by me. At the time (1980's) I didn't like his work much and was disappointed if it was Ron Smith on Dredd instead of Carlos Ezquerra or Steve Dillon  but returning to the stuff decades later with Rebellion reprints and I now see he was brilliant. Especially good with freaky stuff.

2000BC

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 10 February, 2024, 04:57:42 AMJohn Cassavetes Is Dead is an interesting one.

I really like Colin Macneil's art on this.  Is it the first time we've seen Dredd doubting the system?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: 2000BC on 10 February, 2024, 04:44:18 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 10 February, 2024, 04:57:42 AMJohn Cassavetes Is Dead is an interesting one.

I really like Colin Macneil's art on this.  Is it the first time we've seen Dredd doubting the system?

Think that began a long time before - just before City of the Damned possibly?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Le Fink

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2024, 05:56:20 PM
Quote from: 2000BC on 10 February, 2024, 04:44:18 PM

Think that began a long time before - just before City of the Damned possibly?

Case Files 8:

Question of Judgement (Prog 387)
Error of Judgement (Prog 388)
A Case for Treatment (Prog 389)

JayzusB.Christ

That's the ones, thanks. Obviously the doubts came back in spades between Oz and Necropolis, but I'm not sure where the John Cassavetes strip fits into that timeline.

Richard

It was in prog 627, in 1989, so a year before Necropolis. I think it was the first doubts story apart from the three in progs 387-9.

Link Prime

Any one-off from the TB Grover era is worth a re-read.

'It Pays to be Mental' and 'Love Story' left indelible marks, and the most "recent" one-off to do so was 'Leaving Rowdy' from (oh sweet Jesus) 2002.

Anyway, I just dug up this thread to let ye know that my back-issue order of Meg 461 arrived last weekend, and that the recommendation was solid.
A really great one-off by Carroll & MacNeil.

Le Fink

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 March, 2024, 12:14:31 PM'It Pays to be Mental' and 'Love Story' left indelible marks, and the most "recent" one-off to do so was 'Leaving Rowdy' from (oh sweet Jesus) 2002.
Oh yes I remember the first two. Ian Gibson on both? Or was it someone else on 'It Pays to be Mental'.

Richard

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++