Main Menu

HOPE... for the Future - Guy Adams & Jimmy Broxton

Started by robert_ellis, 19 November, 2018, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

This slim volume reprints about 60 pages of the occult detective thriller is the american comic size format. The aged cover & graphic design set the tone a treat. I remember this thrill in the weekly prog, it felt like a dense, atmospheric piece probably closest in tone to Fatale by Sean Philips & Brubaker. I couldn't really follow it in the weekly, maybe there was a gap during its initial run or my memory's crap. As s graphic novel it's a stunner. It's the Hellblazer comic I always wanted but rarely got - truely horrible, addictive and grubby. The art is classy - Spot on storytelling with great faces & locations. I really hope Tharg gets round to ordering another series. Guy Adams makes every page count. I guess there's similarities with Absalom, but the tone is different enough make this distinctive. I think it's a modern classic!

DrJomster

Just picked this up in the current sale. Book 2 is running in the prog and going well, so I took the plunge.

I have to say, this reads better as a collected work than I remember from reading it week by week in the prog. The art is gorgeous and the story pulls you in very well. Well worth a look, good people, particularly if you manage to pick it up for a fiver. Absolute bargain!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Proudhuff

Quote from: DrJomster on 27 October, 2019, 10:46:17 PM
Just picked this up in the current sale. Book 2 is running in the prog and going well, so I took the plunge.

I have to say, this reads better as a collected work than I remember from reading it week by week in the prog. The art is gorgeous and the story pulls you in very well. Well worth a look, good people, particularly if you manage to pick it up for a fiver. Absolute bargain!
[/quoteDone! and the middle Absalom too  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me