Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 October, 2020, 03:31:33 PM
Looking at the voting record, only one DUP vote was cast, and so I won't be giving them that much credit. Had they all thrown their lot in with Labour, that would have been more impressive. I suppose at least they were smart enough to let the Tories own this one alone.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting this absolves them of all their previous nonsense, but your Government, for all its progressive lipservice, is right of the DUP
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

Quote from: Mister Pops on 25 October, 2020, 12:08:34 AM
... but your Government, for all its progressive lipservice, is right of the DUP

Which is absolutely fucking terrifying!   :o

IndigoPrime

I'm not entirely surprised by that, though. Economically, nationalism has various places it sits within the political axis, and even if you shift to a political compass, that doesn't offer the nuance to accurately position a party—just approximate where it stands. But in England, BNP and UKIP have historically in many cases sat economically to the left of the Tories, even if they are more authoritarian. That's still largely true—and the same for the DUP—although I do wonder at what point the Tories might now start gunning for things like women's rights and gay rights.

As for the DUP in general, they're just inept. They held so much power last year, and they pissed it up the wall for the sake of ideology that made no sense whatsoever. Then again, it's not like any of the opposition parties covered themselves in glory either in things like the IVs.

Rately

Short message - Fuck the DUP.

Awful people, who care not a jot for anyone other than enriching themselves and their "chosen few." The corruption and disregard they have shown since Brexit has ballooned by the day. Facts, logic no longer apply in their little bubble Universe of Union Jacks!

I'm a moderate Nationalist, who voted for staying in the EU, knowing it would let the Union limp on for the foreseeable, and was not surprised at the monumental self-harm the DUP inflicted on us all, and their precious Union, when they fully got behind Brexit. Even as it becomes clearer and clearer that NI is going to suffer horrendously after Brexit, they are still flying the flag for it, ignoring good advise and the future now coming into view.

A shower of awful people.

Brexshit, more like.

Professor Bear

I'm morbidly curious to see how they integrate with the Dail, even though I know that no matter how the details pan out the end result will be an absolute fucking disaster.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 October, 2020, 09:53:51 PM
I'm morbidly curious to see how they integrate with the Dail, even though I know that no matter how the details pan out the end result will be an absolute fucking disaster.

They'll keep them in Stormont for a few years just to see if they fuck-off. I more curious what they'll change their name to.

Rately

The DUP in the Dail? Christ.

I've no doubt, as you say, that it would be disastrous, but it would be poetic to see them have to bed in and try and navigate their own hostility and intransigence.

Mind you, if they can continue claiming expenses I've no doubt they could be talked into it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 October, 2020, 12:02:24 AMThey'll keep them in Stormont for a few years just to see if they fuck-off. I more curious what they'll change their name to.

I suspect they'll keep the unionist name and branding - "change" is not something with which the DUP is familiar.

IndigoPrime

They'll become the NIxit Party, determined to have NI rejoin the UK.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 October, 2020, 01:08:34 PM

Bonkers. But sounds just about right.

Just like this bonkers Irexit movement. Just another band of grifters.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 October, 2020, 01:08:34 PM

BrexNIt wasn't a huge vote to begin with (and neither will Irexit).

TordelBack

JOE SOAP

Rathmines clinging on there with one Westminster seat.

TordelBack

Always said no good would come from the Stella showing those furren pictures with all the quare wans.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 October, 2020, 03:13:14 PM
Always said no good would come from the Stella showing those furren pictures with all the quare wans.

I watched The General there, without realising at the time that most of it had happened about two minutes' walk down the road.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"