Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Only Trotsky troublemakers would do that!  Our superiors and their armies know what is best for us even if we do not understand ourselves - they are like gods in that respect, and it is not our place to question them.

TordelBack

My point being that these are the roles we specifically create to prevent exactly what they themselves are engaged in.  It shouldn't be necessary to intervene because it shouldn't happen.

I also wouldn't presume that people here aren't prepared to question police actions in the real world, since that wouldn't be the case.

COMMANDO FORCES

I stated keyboard warriors in general and didn't mention a specific place, just in case you are presuming otherwise!

TordelBack

NapalmKev

On the few occasions I've asked police "what's going on?" I've been told to move on, and even threatened with arrest for obstruction (?).

No I know not all police officers are clowns, but a good portion of them (especially where I live) seem to misunderstand the fact they are public servants, and that by asking a valid question I am merely exercising my right to free speech.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Old Tankie

Glad to see you still think you have a right to free speech, you're obviously not a journalist!

COMMANDO FORCES

Who would've thought that we would be heading down the slippery road to join the ranks of North Korea, Syria, and many others states.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2013, 04:43:14 PM
Who would've thought that we would be heading down the slippery road to join the ranks of North Korea, Syria, and many others states.

Anyone who said that people should not have voted Tory.

Dandontdare

I've just spent the last hour or so trawling through the comments section on FoxNation.

I feel dirty.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2013, 04:43:14 PM

Er...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

If you start to curtail the press, due to some of their activities (mainly with the general public who are dragged into events, through no fault of their own) then where will it stop, as we all know it won't stop there, given the chance.

That's what I'm getting at!

Zarjazzer

The press have shown time and time again that they cannot be trusted to keep their own house in order. Yes editors and journalists are on trial and others involved are in prison. But these were only because police and politicians were forced to act to enforce the law as it already stands. What was for example the News corps behaviour (not words) when the allegations first arose? Did they go to the police (lawyers in tow as is their right) to make sure everything was done  to see if there was any impropriety like an honest person/organisation would?

No. They paid off the ones going to jail to keep their traps shut so that others higher up couldn't be caught even though they were likely the ones demanding the scoops and putting pressure on to get a story anyway, anyhow.

They are like a persistent offender trying to plea his way out of real porridge because once he was nice to a pussycat(allegedly) :).

It's not to curtail the press it's to curtail their criminality.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Frank

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 October, 2013, 07:57:21 PM

It won't. The Independent have already said they aren't going to sign up to the new regulatory regime, and the rest are so opposed to it they don't even have to say so. Which makes everything that's happened over the last few years a pointless exercise.

Zarjazzer

Then that tells you all you need to know. They thought they were above the law when hacking phones. They still do.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 October, 2013, 07:57:21 PM

Things like phone-hacking and bribing the police are already against the law. Maligning or misrepresenting people is generally covered under libel, so perhaps steps should be taken to stop libel lawsuits being the exclusive domain of the wealthy...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.