Main Menu

Jason Kingsley on BBC News

Started by Matt, 25 January, 2005, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Wonder what would happen to 2000AD?http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4182455.stm">

Matt

paulvonscott

[He added: "We have been through five technology transitions and survived so far.

"Each one has involved the death of some people.]

Hmmm... was Mek-Quake responsible?

IndigoPrime

:: Wonder what would happen to 2000AD?

God knows. But perhaps games companies should stop pandering solely to the geeky polygon-loving idiots that currently comprise the majority of the mainstream gaming market, and actually remember they're supposed to be in an *entertainment* industry. EVERYTHING in the press about gaming at the moment is waffling on about next-gen consoles being the "saviour" of the industry, because they'll provide us with "realistic" graphics that you won't be able to tell apart from a movie. Well, great, but what about the GAMEPLAY? And, quite frankly, the "realism" level is pseudo-TV realism?and "rubbish anime from 1995" "realism" at that.

Satanist

"Some of them are still making games for peer group approval - that has to stop."

Because originality & pushing the boundaries is a bad thing, just look at how successful EA are for confirmation ;D

I find I'm getting bored with consoles at the moment and I never thought I'd say that.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tordelbach

Been everyone's worry since the start, I suppose, tying our colours to another industry's mast.  

That said, the Rebellion years (thus far) have been great for the House of Tharg, particularly for the Meg (where previously it really felt like it was going under every other month), so whatever horrors happen in the Big Bad Financial Future it's been a very worthwhile experiment.

Not taking away any credit from the editors and creators, by the way, but from an outsider's perspective everyone seems to have far more room to breath since the Takeover.

IndigoPrime

My understanding of it is that the financial success (or not) of one area of Rebellion's business doesn't affect the others anyway. So the games side could do poorly, and the magazines would soldier on regardless?and vice-versa.