Main Menu

huge comic collections...why ?

Started by Queen Firey-Bou, 23 April, 2005, 04:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert

Apparantly theres a shitload of 2000ads round the corner at oxfam.

but its sunday and it is not open.

worthy of a look?

Max Kon

yes, that's how i've got most of my back copies (well all but one.)

WoD

Hmm...funnily enough I was pondering this earlier today.  I have a big comic collection (IMO) and NEVER get chance to read it.  So, I'm trying to debate if I shold keep them for the boy to read when he's older (but would he be interested?), or keep them so they appreciate in value (and I don't think that's going to happen), or just flog em all and put it towards a holiday or sommat.

I have a good collection of progs #320 to present day, plus #1 and #3(I think) and most annuals and some other old stuff.  Also have complete Sandman and other vertigo titles, and a stack of DC from around the time that Superman 'died' and Bat's got his spine snapped (for the second time?).

So keep or flog, and if flog, how best to get rid of em all?  Who knows...?  But, I'll have to catalogue the lot first (again) and that always leads to a good back-prog reading session which makes it more difficult to let the bloody things go!

Max Kon

Get rid of the comics you don't read anymore. keep the tooth.

Satanist

I am just about to give away over 200 old DC superhero comics. I tried 3 different charity shops and not one would take them, even though theyre all bagged & boxed. I was loathe to just throw them out so Im happy I found someone who can make use of them.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

IndigoPrime

:: Get rid of the comics you don't read anymore

That's the way I'm thinking right now. I just sold off a small chunk of comics, and am thinking of re-reading ones I'm not sure off, and selling the ones I know I'll never re-read. It's actually looking like the Megazine vols 1 and 2 will fall into the latter category, as will my set of Crisis comics (Revolver already went on eBay!)

WoD

I was thinking of dentist or doctors surgeries for the tamer DC stuff that will probably (surely) not sell.  If they take them there's at least a (very) small chance it might ecourage a new generation of comic readers.

skurvy

oh dear, this has got me thinking (quite a feat that).

Last year I had a big purge and sold loads and loads of stuff on ebay, lots of Marvel shite but also stuff like cerebus and love & rockets to 'make room for my 2000ad/meg collection'.

But now I'm buying stuff from ebay that I read as a kid (old marvel planet of the apes, star wars weekly, eagle etc) and had lost/sold/chucked/generally got rid of once before and am now looking back at nostalgically.

Does this mean that in 20 years stuff I'll start getting misty eyed for the stuff I've just sold and spend another small fortune buying it all back?

It's bloody crazy!

Does anyone remember Krazy? That had Cheeky didn't it? Wow, Cheeky weekly was great, wonder if that's on eBay..?

Capt.Zeep

"Apparantly theres a shitload of 2000ads round the corner at oxfam."

If that's the Oxfam bookshop in Edinburgh,  it's well worth a look as last time I was there they had loads of tooth including 70s bog-paper ones, several copies of issue 1 of the Meg and much much more.

I remember Krazy.  It was great!

Carlsborg Expert

I picked up nine copies for examples.

The whole load is three ferra pound, so not bad and they range between '93 and '02.

Any comments welcome on;

The Complete Judge Dredd;Issue 17
Progs,832,836,863,881,887,896,1281.
2000ad Monthly.Issue 77[Bad Company 500-509]

If anyone is interested I reckon the covers will be on the site somewhere.

Steamboy

s'an addiction innit, they can prise my Tooth from my cold dead hands and not befor.  However I keep looking at the huge pile of Marvel Shite that i've accumulated over the past fuve years and that'll eventually go(as I replace fav runs with GN's of course), but 2000AD and the Meg never i tell you NEVER!!!!!!!!

CU Krestel

Floyd-the-k

I like to reread the 2000 AD collection I've got at the moment. If I had the lot I'd try to reread that. I suppose this madness will pass one day and then I'll sell them or give them away. I throw away everything else I read if I'm not going to reread it.

yours sadly separated from his collection now.

Floydhttp://www.mistycomic.co.uk/webphotoalbums/issue13/images/32_jpg.jpg">

Matt

Well I've finally taken the plunge and I'm in negotiations with a fellow boarder to get rid of my whole collection. 20 years of progs and Megazines take up a lot of precious space. I'm never going to reread them and only continue to keep them out of force of habit. I'll probably have mixed feelings when they go, a bit like loosing an old friend. Mind you that new PSP the money will buy should smooth things over!

judge dreddd

Henry David Thoreau. ... A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

less is more, i usually bundle em up and then give em to some deserving cause, i always remember buying comics dirt cheap at jumble sales...ooo comics cheap ...ooo comics rule ! when i was a kiddy

Marbles

I gave up collecting physical comics a while ago for the following reasons :-

(a) Cost - I'm totally skint
(b) Time - I could never hope to re-read them.
(c) Space - nowhere to put the buggers.

I do collect electronic versions of comics (.cbr) because (a) &  (c) are not issues. Also I can read them on my laptop while making journeys etc so it helps with (b).

Remember - dry hair is for squids