Main Menu

Re-using covers.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 04 July, 2002, 04:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Now obviously this should be done as sparingly as possible but I wondered whether there was any mileage in the idea of re-using covers.

Now before you dismiss this out of hand go and look at the cover of the 1983 2k annual. It's a rather lovely character montage of Rogue, Johnny, Wulf, and Dredd. The artist, apparantly, is someone called Brian Bolland. It's a very striking image and, what's more, perfectly suited to be the cover of an issue of the upcoming run.

It would have to be reworked to fit the size, and to fit the differing cover requirments. Maybe given a snazzy new computer-enhanced lick of paint.

It's a great image. If you're new to the mag you won't have seen it before and probably be impressed (20 year old Bolland still beating the pants off most things).  If you have seen it before then re-using something after 20 years isn't like haveing the same things all the time, and it is a great image. Would it be so bad to see it again?

Even better it might stir memories in lapsed readers who might see it and recognise it. And once they picked it up, who knows, they might buy it. It'd fit in with the 'Yesterdays Future Today' zeitgeist.

Any way what do you think. Obviously it shouldn't be too common an occurance but it's not too bad an idea. And who knows it might even save a couple of bob that could be spent better else where.

frazer

"And who knows it might even save a couple of bob that could be spent better else where"

wot, like paying one of us newbies to do an original one?

i can see which side of the picket line I'D be on:P

F

Oddboy

I'm for new art myself.  But I wouldn't mind this picture getting printed in Bishop's history articles...
Better set your phaser to stun.

The Amstor Computer

I'm all for it - but as back cover art. IIRC, 2000AD has always had new art for each cover & I'd hate to see that record broken.
By all means, reprint classic covers, but keep them off the front cover & leave that for dashing young blades like Mr Irving ;-)

Buddy

The idea of re-using covers (especially Bolland) plleals to me - No disrespect to Frazer, I love his stuff (See my website regarding your Death series -

"Wagner again deliveres the goods - big time. I loved this. Frazer Irving's art (reminicent of David Lloyd) just blew me away, and suits the dark mood of the tale to a tee. This is a carear defining series for Irving, I predict great things ahead - which probably means he'll leave to work for DC or Marvel (I can easily see his style associated with Hellblazer or Swamp Thing), so enjoy his work while you can."

I predict great things for you in the near future.

P.S. Any chance of an interview for ximoc.co.uk Frazer, you can contact me through the site..

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

Mk13

>It's a rather lovely character montage of Rogue, Johnny, Wulf, and Dredd... perfectly suited to be the cover of an issue of the upcoming run.

As opposed to the cover of the first issue of the forthcoming run, a rather lovely character montage of Dredd, Alpha and the VCs, courtesy of Trev Hairsine?

James

Here is said image.

An interesting twist on this is to have new artists, such as the lovely Fraser, to redraw old classics.

Talking about covers, Cliff Robinson has done the most 2000AD covers(54). Never really been a fan of his work, although I can see why people appreciate it, but I like what he's done with Dredd's uniform in recent years(see new megazine).

That's all folks!

Jameshttp://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=covers&page=artistimage&Image=2000AD83&choice=BRIANB&Com">

James

DavidXBrunt

Devons Daddy

true some old images are striking, but i think 2000ad has always been a breeding ground for the worlds finest artists and writers.
i feel we should keep going with the current format myself, lets not look back but forward.

an idea old covers may be siutable for collected works, by titan or rebellion.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

davidbishop

New artists have redrawn old classics, but it has tended to be for reprint titles with full acknowledgement of the original artists.

Cliff did his version Mike MacMahon's opening Cursed Earth cover on Complete Dredd, with acknowledgement. I know at least one other artist used the small image and layout for a cover without acknowledgement, pissing off McMahon considerably.

Siku did a painted version of Bolland's Captain Skank cover. There are probably dozens of other examples...

As for the literal recycling of old cover art,
well my last Meg reused an old Cliff Robinson cover for a Virgin Dredd novel (I paid Cliff have his usual cover fee for the re-use, by the way - ten times the standard reprint fee.)

The cover of Meg 2.31 recycled an old piece of Bolland Dredd art and used it as the basis for new cover. It wasn't successful and I felt bad about recycling old art and passing it off as new, so I didn't make a habit of it.

Just my two creds' worth.

davidbishop