Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Vampire Survivors

Cheap, on Game Pass, fun.
Lock up your spoons!

wedgeski

Got back on with Carrion on Switch over the holiday. What a beautiful game. Originally the lack of a map put me right off, but on a second playthrough I realised that there's no major backtracking required and the game does a pretty good job of leading you through its various levels. I would strongly recommend it to any Metroidvania types on the forum.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 January, 2023, 07:18:42 PM
Is Witcher 3 any good? (That's the one available on Switch I think)

Tremendous game - a 10/10 for me.
I picked up the PS4 GOTY edition a few years back - took me a year of solid - solid - gaming to complete to my satisfaction.

Tempted to download the (free) next gen update for my PS5, but I think I've already filled my Kaer Morhen boots.

Barrington Boots

Second that, Witcher 3 is fantastic.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Yeah, The Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, definitely one of my favourites. I have clocked roughly 1,000 hours through three playthroughs*.

Not without issues though. It starts in media res, and you really have to pay attention at the start to build up enough context clues to understand the big picture. The combat also seems a bit janky to begin with, and it takes a while to figure out where to invest your skill points in the the skill tree. But once you figure it all out, it's very satisfying. If you have ever played any Dark Souls games, the combat is more manageable and rewarding, even on the hardest setting.

The narrative is it's strongest suit. Some of the side quests have better plots and story telling than the main quest in other games.

My big tips:

Upgrades: Swordsmanship~>Alchemy>>>Signs

Side step dodge>>>>>combat roll dodge

Once you can unlock the witcher schools' armour sets, normal armour is redundant.

If you kill any of the trolls other than the rabid ones, you are the real monster.

Gwent is good fun.

*Played the base game, then got the DLCs and started from the start again. The DLCs are amazing. Blood & Wine is basically the Witcher 4. Then I played New Game+ at the start of lockdown. As I type, I'm reinstalling to play from the start with the new content.
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

I started digging through my Black Friday glut yesterday, and decided to give The Quarry a go on PS5.

Another triumph for Supermassive Games.
I am halfway through the reported 10 hour playtime and having a ball.
Cast / concept / script / graphics / (Slightly easier) QTE all hitting the right notes so far.

The Rod Serling-esqe tutorials are the icing on the cake.
It's a strong recommend, horror fans.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 January, 2023, 11:57:04 AM
I started digging through my Black Friday glut yesterday, and decided to give The Quarry a go on PS5.

Another triumph for Supermassive Games.
I am halfway through the reported 10 hour playtime and having a ball.
Cast / concept / script / graphics / (Slightly easier) QTE all hitting the right notes so far.

The Rod Serling-esqe tutorials are the icing on the cake.
It's a strong recommend, horror fans.

I second this recommendation. Played it through in December and had a blast.
Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 January, 2023, 11:57:04 AM(Slightly easier) QTE

I take it back!

Final tally:
- 3 Dead.
- 3 Werewolves.
- 1 Survivor.
- 0 White Wolf sightings.

Anyway - tonight we're gonna party like it's 1998 as I'll be aiming to 100% complete the X-Box version of Banjo-Kazooie, before trying Bangjo-Tooie for the very first time.

A note for 'Rare Replay' owners - GoldenEye just popped up on my dashboard as a freebie. Unexpected but very welcome.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 February, 2023, 10:56:28 AMA note for 'Rare Replay' owners - GoldenEye just popped up on my dashboard as a freebie. Unexpected but very welcome.

The ultimate late 90s university post-pub game! How's it hold up nowdays?

Link Prime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 03 February, 2023, 05:26:41 PMThe ultimate late 90s university post-pub game! How's it hold up nowdays?

Only gave it an hour, but I was surprised it played so smoothly despite looking very much of its time.

Yeah, those local multiplayer GoldenEye sessions on the N64 were just the best.
We always played 'Licence to Kill' mode, and I had some of the re-spawning sequences memorized.
For legal reasons I cannot repeat some of the names I was called.

If I am going to hell after I die, I'll probably re-spawn in the snow, unarmed, outside 'Facility'.

Barrington Boots

Ha, awesome.

We used to stay up all night and play this, and Worms, endlessly back when I was a student. I'm not sure the experience would be the same as a middle-aged single player but I love that it's still smooth and holding up.

pictsy

I have been playing Final Fantasy VIII for the last few weeks.  I never finished it, but I always liked it's style.  Obviously I broke the game straight away with card-mod.  I've put in about an hour before bed each night and have been enjoying it.  Even played too much Triple Triad for no real reason.  I am already thinking that when I am done I might replay Ocarina of Time and then maybe return to Final Fantasy IX (one of my top 5 favourite games, easily).

I also missed the forum update.  Looks all new and shiny.  Nice to see avatar pics make a return.

Barrington Boots

I've recently replayed FFIX (possibly remastered?) and enjoyed it a lot, much more than I did when I initially played it, I think.
I haven't played FF VIII since it came out. I remember being really into it initially - the graphics being a ton better than VII helped (there's a great battle scene near the start, if I remember rightly) but the story taking a turn for the worse when a link is discovered between the characters and the antagonist and then not much after that but I was disappointed. I'd be interested to hear if it's any good, as it's the only one from VII to X that I haven't gone back to and would like to know if its worthwhile.

pictsy

The story can't be more disappointing for me than XII's was.  That game just ends mid-stride.  I decided to retry VIII because I remembered it could be easily broken and you are better off not grinding for levels.  I've been grinding for GF upgrades instead. 

Barrington Boots

Gotta agree, XII is absolute tosh!