Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Strontium Dog vs. Absalom Rd 3 Heat 53

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 June, 2022, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Strontium Dog is just such a fundamental part of my childhood. But also my reading of comics as an adult.

Johnny always had the coolest kit:

Westinghouse variable cartridge blaster /Number 3 cartridges / Number 4 cartridges.
Electronux.
Time bombs.

It was a strip that could do comedy capers and heavy social / politically commentary.

It had some of the greatest art and writing ever in the Prog.

I guess I could just cut and paste the following for whatever thrill comes up against it:

I love <insert name of thrill> - it's classic but up against Strontium Dog, it's not even close.

Rogue Judge

Strontium Dog! For me there is no greater thrill, for story or art.

Huey2

GoGilesGo

As incredible as Absalom, my vote has to go to Strontium Dog.

But I'm fairly confident that had Harry ever gone up against Malak Brood, the inspector would have got the better of the master of the black arts.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

It's definitely Stronty, but that's no shame on Absalom- which is a lovely thing.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Well its not a whitewash but the result is in no doubt with a day to go. Still get those votes in so we know how strong the support for Strontium Dog is...

Southstreeter

Stronty
Shame, as I really like Absalom, but SD is clearly among best comics ever.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Strontium Dog lays down a real marker. We love Absalom, its a brilliant strip, has time to grow into something a bit special, but is compact enough to remain an almost perfect story, beginning, middle and terrible, brilliant end. Strontium Dog is a different beast. A strip that roamed and spread and felt like it would be with us forever. Alas that was not the case but it too managed to get its own fitting ending. The fact that its been able to have this almost absolutely comprehensive victory over such a strong thrill is a warning shot to all. What thrill can stop it?

Strontium Dog

will be selecting cartridge (Round) 4